• Β© Antique Mommy 2005-2017
  • Here’s Your Baby Ma’am. Welcome To Adulthood

July 5, 2008

The years I lobbied to be treated as an adult have blown up in my face.
    ~ Lisa Simpson

I managed to put off adulthood until my mid-40s. Once I was handed that precious bundle of screaming, puking, pooping responsibility joy, my carefree protracted childhood lonely meaningless life came to an end. Adulthood blew up in my face in one big gush of baby blue confetti. And I’ve never been the same since.

The first time that Sean looked up at me with those unfocused drunken eyes of infancy, the weight of the responsibility for his well-being and survival bore down upon me, and for the first time in my life I felt like an adult. And it was terribly frightening. I remember looking into Sean’s tiny face and praying, “Dear God, I’ve managed to screw up a lot of stuff in my life — I guess you already know that — but please let me get this one right.”

Adulthood has meant that I am no longer the center of my own universe. It has sometimes meant cleaning up puke for six straight days, inspecting poop, wielding a rectal thermometer, getting only four non-sequential hours of sleep in any given 24-hour period and existing on a diet of luke warm coffee and left over chicken nuggets.

Yet it is in the servitude of motherhood that I’ve discovered another facet in the prism of my being — a richness and depth of experience that can only be gained from dealing with someone else’s boogers. To love is to serve.

Yes, being an adult has blown up in my face. And I could not be happier.

* * * * *

I accidentally started this blog three years ago this fourth of July weekend and so in celebration of happy accidents, IΒ present to you this post from October of 2006 which seems to sum up a lot about me and this here blog.

1. julie says:

Love it, Love it, Love it! You are a wonderful mother! There is something about being a mom in your 40’s that would not have been the same in your 20’s.

July 5th, 2008 at 4:19 pm

2. edj says:

Happy Blogging Anniversary! πŸ™‚ I, for one, am very glad you started this venture, so that I could get to “know” you. (Are you sure you can’t make it out to Oregon in the next few weeks?)

July 5th, 2008 at 4:33 pm

3. Sarah S. says:

That little alien head hurts my heart it’s so cute! I, too, am thankful for the blog you started.

July 5th, 2008 at 4:46 pm

4. Sherri Edman says:

Yes, yes, yes!

I often tell my single and childless friends that marriage is unselfishness boot camp, and having children is the front lines of the war. Parenthood is the finest crucible of character I can think of, not the least because it has driven me to so complete a knowledge of my own brokenness and need for grace, grace, grace and more grace.

July 5th, 2008 at 5:31 pm

5. Diane J. says:

Happy 3 year Bloggiversary! πŸ™‚

I’ve been subscribed to you on Bloglines for over 2 years and you’re one of my daily reads. I so enjoy your blog, and many times I’m mentally jumping up and down as read, screaming, “Yes, she’s walking the same path I am!”

Go forth and wipe bums and noses and find more things to laugh about as you do it, AM.

Hugs,

Diane

July 5th, 2008 at 5:43 pm

6. Carrie says:

This is why I love your blog! You always say exactly what I’m thinking, but SO much better! πŸ™‚ I totally agree with that feeling of responsibility when you become a parent- for me it was when we came home from the hospital & realized he was really ours to take care of! πŸ™‚

July 5th, 2008 at 6:16 pm

7. Lysa TerKeurst says:

I feel blessed to have found your blog, gotten to know snippets about you and your lovely family, and then to hear that your blog was kind of an accident…

Well, that almost makes me like accidents.

A lot.

By the way my bloggy anniversary is around the beginning of July as well. So, today I’m celebrating by visiting several of my favorite bloggers and simply smiling.

July 5th, 2008 at 6:45 pm

8. Kara @ me-moddy says:

I love this post, just as I do so many of the other ones that you write and throw out to us readers. You express what so many of us women think, but simply can’t put into words in the same way. Thanks for sharing your journey.

July 5th, 2008 at 9:17 pm

9. Renna says:

That is a darling picture of you and Sean!

I was just talking about this very thing with my mom last night. My youngest child (of two) is my 24yo daughter. She’s mature in alot of ways, and is making her own way in the world…and yet, a part of her is still like a big kid. ;-Þ My mom commented that she’ll probably always be that way. I said, she will, at least until she has her own kids. πŸ˜‰

I’m reminded of a line from a movie that makes my daughter and I both crack up when we hear it. It’s from “Overboard”, with Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell. She’s moaning to her mother that her husband is pushing her to get pg, to which her mom responds, “but dear, if you HAVE a baby, then you can’t BE the baby”. How true, huh? πŸ˜‰

July 5th, 2008 at 9:33 pm

10. bee says:

Yep, that about sums it up!
      Love that pic!

July 5th, 2008 at 10:18 pm

11. Betty G. says:

Happy Third Blog Anniversary! You do a good job of conveying motherhood in ALL its glory! Thank you.

Betty in Oklahoma

July 5th, 2008 at 11:20 pm

12. Jenny says:

I am so glad that you started your blog! I have sure enjoyed being a reader. You’re a great mom!

July 6th, 2008 at 1:25 am

13. shelley says:

Thanks for writing. Your words give me the courage to give motherhood a try. I’ve been happily married for 6 years and have recently been contemplating the whole motherhood/parenting thing. I am terrified of doing it and equally terrified of what I will miss if I don’t.

Reading blogs from wonderful Christian women like you give me hope and courage that I can do it and live to laugh through the ups and downs.

Sean is a blessed little guy, for sure!

July 6th, 2008 at 3:49 am

14. Jo-Lynne - Musings of a Housewife says:

Love it! You have such a beautiful way of expressing yourself. There’s nothing quite like having a baby to make you realize you’re really and truly a grownup. LOL.

July 6th, 2008 at 8:56 am

15. ChristyCate says:

And I accidentally happened across your blog about two years ago and God has thus chosen to bless me!

July 6th, 2008 at 2:04 pm

16. Theresa says:

What a precious picture πŸ™‚ And yeah, I never knew what happiness, or fatigue for that matter, or that real-every-cell-in-my-body-hurts-kinda-love was until my angel came along.

Happy Blogiversary!

July 6th, 2008 at 2:19 pm

17. Dana says:

A fit word, aptly spoken (written)…apples of gold in settings of silver.

Thank you.

July 6th, 2008 at 5:07 pm

18. jen elslager says:

Lovely picture, darling baby, sweet post.

July 6th, 2008 at 6:57 pm

19. LIB says:

That’s a wonderful picture! You look (deservedly) very tired, but very happy! Thanks for sharing it with us!

July 6th, 2008 at 8:48 pm

20. tracey says:

OH! What a tiny little face… They are so, so small for such a short time.

Lovely post.

July 6th, 2008 at 9:46 pm

21. Terri says:

Happy Bloggiversary to you! I have been reading your blog for 1 1/2 yrs. and always enjoy it. I “found” you from Boomama’s blog.

I agree so much with you about motherhood. My children –Jacob, Ashley, and Ethan — have made me a better person in every aspect of my life. I am so humble and grateful to the Lord for blessing my life in such an incredible way.

I love this quote even though I don’t know who wrote it – – “If I do nothing else in my life, I was a success because of my children.”

July 6th, 2008 at 10:42 pm

22. Tracy @ my cup runneth over says:

So glad I “accidentally” happened upon your blog! As others have said, you have such a beautiful gift for expressing the sentiments of a Mommy’s heart. Sean is so blessed. That picture is precious!) Happy Bloggiversary! Here’s to many more!

Blessings,
      Tracy

July 7th, 2008 at 8:24 am

Happy Anniversary, AM. I’m glad God decided to let your life blow up in your face. You look good wearing pieces of Mommyhood.

July 7th, 2008 at 10:19 am

“. . .the richness and depth of experience that can only be gained from dealing with someone else’s boogers. . .”

You slay me. . .what a great post.

July 7th, 2008 at 12:13 pm

25. Carola says:

Happy blog anniversary! I am so glad you started it, and so happy I found it!!

July 7th, 2008 at 2:39 pm

26. Lucy says:

Isn’t it amazing yet so scary when they look at you with those oh-so-trusting eyes that all will be well with you as their new mother…that they will be fed, cuddled, loved, warmed…..so many things that some babies do not get. They are like new kittens or puppies….total faith in you that you will treat them well. I didn’t think I could do it. She’s 40 years old now. And it seems like it was a minute in time.

July 7th, 2008 at 5:08 pm

27. magpie says:

happy anniversary! here’s to boogers, and antique moms!

July 7th, 2008 at 9:24 pm

28. rrmama says:

You said it perfectly! I felt the same way about becoming a parent 8 years ago. Happy anniversary. Here is to more of the sickies, and parties, and most of all the hugs and kisses.

July 7th, 2008 at 11:18 pm

29. Susan says:

Beautiful post Antique Mommy. Btw, long time no chat. And I see we are competing for that Sony Digital book over at daringyoungmom.com πŸ™‚ Best of luck (only cause I like you and if I don’t get it I hope you do!)

July 11th, 2008 at 2:38 am