• Out Of The Mouths Of Critters

July 7, 2008

Last night, Sean and I were laying in his itty bitty bed reading a few books before bedtime.  One of the books he chose was this Little Critter book.

After I read the title, I pointed to the critter in the wheelchair and asked him if he noticed anything different about him.

He studied the picture for a second and then said, “Well yeah! (duh) “He’s a rabbit!”

I laughed to myself.  Four-year-olds are so authentic.

His answer was better than the correct answer.

Now, bonus question: Does anyone know what species Little Critter is?

1. julie says:

Children are amazing! They see past things that adults don’t!

July 7th, 2008 at 9:56 pm

2. Carolyn says:

I’ve read about 100 Little Critter books and I have NO idea what they are. My favourite one, however, is the one about the ski vacation where the dad goes to “tame the mountain” and comes back with a broken leg. This was given to my husband after he broke his leg (among many other things) after a nighttime snowmobile ride. It was the first caustic humour I’d ever seen from his sister. I appreciate her so much more now!

July 7th, 2008 at 10:18 pm

3. Julia says:

How cute! I love his answer. 🙂

I have no idea what kind of animal he is.. He looks like a hedgehog kind of, but they don’t really specify. Even the website says he’s “Just a critter!” Go figure.

July 7th, 2008 at 10:18 pm

4. diXymiss says:

We love Critter books! I pondered, but couldn’t come up with his species either. So, I asked the eXperts: my children! (Is that cheating)? The piXies believe him to be a guinea pig.

Webster’s definition: a small, stout-bodied, short-eared, nearly tailless domesticated rodent. Often kept as a pet. Sounds like Critter to me!

July 7th, 2008 at 10:28 pm

5. Minnesotamom says:

I’ve read a lot of those books, and I don’t recall him revealing any sort of specific species.

Sean’s answer made me smile.

July 7th, 2008 at 10:29 pm

6. Christy says:

Oh my. I had to de-lurk to say that your Sean’s answer made my heart smile. And I loved Critter books when I was younger :o) Glad to see they are still loved.

July 7th, 2008 at 10:45 pm

7. Amyb says:

A mole? Sean sounds like such a little adult!

July 7th, 2008 at 11:04 pm

8. Sarah S. says:

He looks like a guinea pig after a swim or something else to create a very bad hair day! I, too, have read at least hundreds of Little Critter books and have never tried to identify what specific type of critter he is! He’s just a critter, right?

July 7th, 2008 at 11:13 pm

9. Kristen Garrison says:

Antique Mommy,

I have been reading your blog for about a year now. As a college student, in her last semester of graduate school, who lives her life as a differently-abled adult from a wheelchair, (I have Cerebral Palsy), I think Sean’s answer was fabulous. I wish more parents raised their children to see past disablities, wheelchairs, etc. and to see who we truly are…People just like you! I love it!

Kristen Garrison

July 7th, 2008 at 11:48 pm

10. Jamie (Ohbecareful!) says:

Well, he’s a Little Critter (naturally); but he looks to me an awful lot like a cartoon hamster. Also, hamsters happen to be Little. (That bunny there is probably a mini lop.)

Sean’s answer was perfect.

July 7th, 2008 at 11:52 pm

11. jen elslager says:

I used to love those books! (My boys are teens now.) And I really love his answer. I’ll bet that one is a sweet read.

July 8th, 2008 at 12:05 am

12. Karen {simply a musing blog} says:

I think Jamie is right – if I remember correctly – he’s just a “little critter”. And oh how my kids love him! When my oldest was 4, my mom bought her a cd rom for the pc that was called “Just me and my grandma” and then the next year, she got “Just me and my grandpa” and my two youngest still play them.

July 8th, 2008 at 12:18 am

13. Kim says:

Children are so wonderful. My husband is an amputee and is hurt when people stare or are unkind. Our two children, especially our daughter who is 5 never seems to see “disability” in others because she knows her Daddy can do anything and everything….like a super hero 🙂

July 8th, 2008 at 12:56 am

14. Kim says:

OH and I think he is a Ground Hog. 🙂

July 8th, 2008 at 12:57 am

15. Jim says:

Sean said he’s a rabbit, for crying out loud, it’s a rabbit !! Case closed.

July 8th, 2008 at 1:52 am

16. edj says:

I could never tell what Little Critter was–esp as his mother has such long ears, but they don’t really look like rabbits. I would ask Sean. He’ll know.

July 8th, 2008 at 2:38 am

17. Tonggu Momma says:

Sean seems like one smart cookie. The Tongginator would probably take one look at that cover and say, “it’s okay to have wheels.” Then she’d probably follow-up with, “why are those animals wearing clothes???”

July 8th, 2008 at 7:53 am

18. Sandra says:

Love Sean’s answer!!

July 8th, 2008 at 7:59 am

19. Amy Nathan says:

I remember Little Critter books. And I think they are just generic critters!

Nothing generic about Sean though – that’s for sure. My daughter is still like that – at 13. I’m hoping it transcends adolescence.

July 8th, 2008 at 8:05 am

20. Amy Beth @ Ministry So Fabulous! says:

I read Critter books 20 years ago. Wow.

July 8th, 2008 at 8:31 am

21. tracey says:

I’d say hedgehog…

What a sweet answer. I love 4 year olds…

July 8th, 2008 at 8:42 am

22. Cyndi says:

No clue about the species. My kids favorite was the sharing one that ended, “Would you like to share my froggie?”

July 8th, 2008 at 9:04 am

23. La says:

What a sweet answer! I read “Just go to bed!” to my 3 year old and he loves it! Great books, those critters.

July 8th, 2008 at 10:07 am

24. Jenni says:

I love little critter. I think he looks like a hedgehog, but I believe the author meant him to be unique–a new species!

Sean is too cute.

July 8th, 2008 at 11:22 am

According to the official website, his animal species is a Little Critter. So he’s uniquely himself! My kids loved those books. Now you’re got me reminiscing about storytime with my little critters.

Sean’s answer is absolutely perfect, not to mention spot-on!

July 8th, 2008 at 11:54 am

26. trixiefan says:

I love Little Critter books! When my kids were little I bought them all the time. They were our standard bedtime reading.

July 8th, 2008 at 1:16 pm

27. Tom says:

Guinea pig. You can tell by the feet. Not sure why they wear blue eye shadow, though. My kids love them. And they had guinea pigs once too.

July 8th, 2008 at 1:22 pm

28. Kara @ me-moddy says:

Loved Sean’s Answer!

A Hedgehog? I’ve never known the answer to that one!

July 8th, 2008 at 1:55 pm

29. baby blankets says:

I love the sweet, innocent things kids say. Reminds me of “The Little Prince” saying that adults just don’t get it. (Although the little french boy said it more beautifully).

I vote that Little Critter is a guinea pig.

July 8th, 2008 at 2:03 pm

30. cousin DJ says:

Can’t stand it any longer…it is a lop, known for its floppy ears. One of the oldest breeds of domesticated rabbits.

July 8th, 2008 at 4:44 pm

31. AliAnn says:

So sweet.
      I always thought Little Critter was his own special species. Just a little critter.

July 8th, 2008 at 5:41 pm

32. Kacey says:

Being older than dirt, I have no clue as to the Species of Little Critter, so I Googled it. And they have a great site with all kinds of stories and things and even pages you can print out to make your own coloring book. Gee, I wish I were a kid again!

July 8th, 2008 at 6:10 pm

33. elaine @ peace for the journey says:

No, I don’t know, but after nearly 19 years worth of collecting, I have their family history down pat!

peace~elaine

July 8th, 2008 at 6:16 pm

34. Michelle says:

I remember when my kids were little we had every Little Critter book that was out at the time. I may have loved them more than the kids!

July 8th, 2008 at 11:36 pm

35. Missy @ It's Almost Naptime says:

Ok, so, the suspense is killing me. What kind of critter are they?

Btw we have this book. One night after we read it at bedtime, Shep’s Sunday School teacher told me that a new little boy had come to class and Shep went out of his way to be kind to him, and I know it was from this book. Love little Critters. By the way, you can find them on youtube being read by Mercer Mayer – look for the ones submitted by critterpaw. My kids love to watch them.

July 10th, 2008 at 11:08 pm

36. Phoebe says:

I’ve actually taken a poll of other moms, and NO ONE knows what the heck they are! (And believe me, I felt much better knowing I wasn’t alone at last!) 🙂

July 18th, 2008 at 4:59 pm