• Update – The Broker

August 18, 2008

You may or may not remember, but last year Papa George saved the local park in Tuna from a big faceless corporation who wanted to install a cell tower right in the middle of the park amongst oak trees that are hundreds of years old. A cell tower would have destroyed the visual beauty of the park and made it not that much of a park, really.

Because Papa George is who he is, he was able to work out a deal for a small nearby church to rent a portion of their unused parking lot to house the cell tower thus providing the cell tower a more suitable home and the small church some much needed funding for their food pantry.

George reports that the cell tower was finally installed and that the church is now able to provide groceries for 50 families every Monday. This is a congregation of about 50 people feeding 50 families every Monday. I think that is amazing. And I’m so proud of my Papa George and they way he goes about quietly ministering to people behind the scenes.

Here’s a picture of Sean in the park (without a cell tower in the background) enjoying some retro space age playground equipment.

And for your reading convenience, here’s the whole story from last March.

The Broker

My father-in-law George is a sweet and gentle man with a heart as big as the ocean. He never raises his voice. If he’s really really mad, he might say “damn”. That’s the only way you know he’s really mad because he doesn’t raise his voice. And let me add that in the eleven years I’ve known him, I’ve only heard him utter that word one time. Truly, he is a servant of God who looks after widows and orphans in their distress. But don’t mess with him.

A while back George took his car to be washed. When it was done, he got back into his car to find that a roll of quarters was missing from the glove box. George went inside and spoke to the manager and politely asked for his quarters back. George is not a big guy. With a head of thick silver hair and a cane, he’s not an imposing presence. I’m sure when the carwash manager saw George, he figured he would blow him off like a ripe dandelion.

The manager all but said I don’t have your quarters old man and why don’t you scram. But George wouldn’t budge. George said that was fine, that he would just hang around and talk to all the customers until he got his quarters back. In about ten minutes the manager handed him his roll of quarters. George thanked him very much and went on about his business. George brokered a deal for everyone to do the right thing without causing a stink and that’s a quality in him that I really admire.

Across the street from my in-laws house is a park that covers one city block. It is filled with big gnarly twisting ancient oaks which shade the 1950’s space age inspired playground equipment, a basketball court, a picnic area and lots of open space to run and play.

In the middle of the park is a large granite stone that is engraved with the message that the park was donated to the children of Tuna in 1947 in memory of Janis by her mother. I don’t know what happened to Janis or how old she was when she died, but it’s touching to think of all the children that have played in that park under the shade of those trees, whose children now play in that park and even grandchildren, Sean included.

Recently a big cell phone service provider came through Tuna and decided that a good place to erect a cell tower would be smack dab in the middle of the park, leveling most of the ancient oaks, leaving only the margins of the park and thusly rendering it no longer a park for all intents and purposes.

In exchange for obliterating the park, the generous BCS (big corporate schmucks) were willing to compensate Tuna with rent of about $1000 a month. It is my impression that the Tuna powers-that-be were salivating at the thought of all that money pouring into the city coffers and maybe even the idea that they would no longer have to maintain the park. And certainly the dumb people of Tuna would go for that. The notice of their intent and the date of the hearing was surreptitiously buried in the back of the local newspaper. Unfortunately for them, not much gets by George and he was on the case.

George was the only one who showed up at the hearing. When BCS saw the sight of an unassuming elderly man leaning on his cane, they probably figured they had a ripe dandelion in their sights. But like the car wash manager, they would be wrong. George stood up and made his case on behalf of the children of Tuna. And whatever he said, it was enough to convince the board to kill the issue. For the time being or until they figured George had forgotten about it.

Across the street from the park is a building that used to be owned by the Baptist church which moved to a new and larger location several years ago. The property is currently owned by another religious organization whose primary purpose is to house a food bank for the needy. After the meeting, George visited with the pastor of the church/food bank and told him that if he were willing, he could rent his parking lot to BCS for over $1000 a month, income the food bank sorely needs. Within a few days, the deal was inked.

Thanks to George’s brokering skills, BCS will plant their cell tower in an unused parking lot, the food bank will earn some much needed income and the giant oaks will continue to shade the children of Tuna as they play in the park and little Janis will continue to rest in peace – a win-win-win-win deal for all parties.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. Matthew 5:9

1. Heather says:

Wow. All too often when we hear of an injustice or slight we want to raise a ruckus and destroy the opposition. Hooray for George and his ability to quietly do the right thing.

August 18th, 2008 at 10:43 am

2. Sarah at themommylogues says:

I LOVE it. Love it. And all the people, in all the Tunas (like mine) said, “Amen.”

August 18th, 2008 at 11:02 am

3. Debbie says:

Wow. This is a powerful story. I wish people like your father-in-law would be featured on the news more, instead of the Britneys, etc. Good for him and thanks for sharing such an inspirational man with all of us.

August 18th, 2008 at 11:14 am

4. soleil says:

Your father-in-law sounds like a wonderful man. I’m glad he was able to come up with a win-win situation for both the park and the food bank. Bless him indeed.

August 18th, 2008 at 11:30 am

5. Karen {simply a musing blog} says:

Love the update – and how cool is that merry-go-round? They don’t make them like that any more.

Fifty families. wow. That’s gotta be worth something in Heaven, don’t you think? 😉

August 18th, 2008 at 11:56 am

6. Cyndi says:

Thanks for the update! The original post is one of my favorites of yours. Just goes to show you don’t always have to speak softly and carry a big stick to be diplomatic…you, more often than not, can just speak softly.

August 18th, 2008 at 12:01 pm

7. Julie at Elisharose says:

Would he mentor my son?

August 18th, 2008 at 12:23 pm

8. JanMary, N Ireland says:

Wonderful example of how things can and should be done. Thanks for sharing. An inspiration

August 18th, 2008 at 1:24 pm

9. Beck says:

I just read that over the phone to my dad and made him cry.
      Just GORGEOUS. And I am so happy to hear that wonderful update.

August 18th, 2008 at 2:15 pm

10. chilihead says:

It just takes one person to think of alternatives and find a way. It’s amazing what you can do if people will listen. Well done, Papa George!

August 18th, 2008 at 2:22 pm

11. Judi McKee says:

I had two very strong impressions as I was reading “The Broker”: 1. Oh, to be more like George!
      2. I really miss the great playground equipment of the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s. Everything here in Southern Calif. has been replaced by the 3-foot high plastic stuff that is boring. The “Curvey-Slide Park”, named by my kids growing up in the 70’s, 80’s, was a free thrill destination. They loved climbing very, very dangerously high and then going down the curvey slide.
      The slide is now gone and replaced by a few of those
      big plastic animals that you sit on, and sit on, and sit on, and…..

August 18th, 2008 at 2:26 pm

Y’all – A 50-person congregation feeding 50 families a week! That ratio is phenomenal. I can’t think of any big congregations that are matching that. It’s all about widows and orphans.

August 18th, 2008 at 2:46 pm

13. rrmama says:

What a great story and a place for Sean to make some memories. Your father in law sounds like a terrific man.

August 18th, 2008 at 9:22 pm

14. feefifoto says:

I remember reading the original story and thinking “What a wonderful man!”

August 18th, 2008 at 9:43 pm

15. bonniebeth says:

Acts 10:38 says that Jesus went about doing good. It sounds like George is following in His footprints.

August 18th, 2008 at 10:20 pm

16. happy geek says:

Wow. It is amazing what one person can do without getting all riled up, just doing the job God has equipped them to do.
      50 families a week. This one made me cry.

August 18th, 2008 at 11:12 pm

17. Julie H says:

Hello! I just found your blog and read the story about how you got the name for your blog. It made me want to stand up and cheer and cry at the same time! I will be back.
      Take care,
      Julie

August 18th, 2008 at 11:29 pm

18. mama speak says:

Loved this story both times. Thanks for the update.

The pix is what really struck me; the play equipment. Our local “petting zoo”/toddler amusement park (Happy Hollow) recently went ‘under construction’ for the next year to update all the “retro” playground equipment (like in your pix). I am sure the place was one big insurence nightmare, but I have pix of both Daddy and I playing at this place as kids. And I have pix of my girls doing the exact same things on the exact same equipment. And it just makes me sad.

There was an action to sell the equipment and apparently people got really emotional (bidding was crazy) and much money was made to help pay for the improvements. Which is good and all, but …..

I started crying when the director of my daughter’s preschool told me the next Monday morning that they were able to get the “fire truck.” I will luckily have many more pix of my girls’ playing on some of the equipment.
      Sometimes new isn’t better; tell Sean to enjoy the spaceage thingy for us.

August 19th, 2008 at 12:51 am

Ooh, I didn’t think any parks still had cool spinning-dealies, whatever those were called. Those were a favorite of mine.

That George, way to go!

August 19th, 2008 at 5:04 am

20. Ann Kroeker says:

Love it. Love re-reading the story and now reading the heartwarming follow-up.

We need more Papa Georges in the world…love the peacemakers verse.

August 19th, 2008 at 2:34 pm

21. Jan says:

My husband’s brother lives across the street from that park. We took our kids there often when they were little.

August 19th, 2008 at 6:49 pm