• Tiger Tiger Burning Bright

August 21, 2008

A line from one of my favorite poems – anyone know which one? – besides Veronica Mitchell who is super awesome and the best read person I know and would know the answer and could probably even recite the entire poem in her sleep.

Seanshine and I are on a little get away.  Wanna guess where we are?  Another clue tomorrow.

It’s “The Tiger” I knew that part,though I admit that I had to google the author–it’s by William Blake.

In college we had to take a famous poem and do a parody of sorts on it. I chose “The Tiger” and wrote about a fence plank.

I am sure William Blake was doign the conga line in his grave over that one.

August 21st, 2008 at 11:14 am

And that’s an AWESOME picture. Everytime I’ve been near the tigers at the zoo (my guess as to where you are. . .but I’ll go out on a limb and say in San Antonio rather than Dallas) they just sleep. Sometimes they yawn. They never swim.

August 21st, 2008 at 11:15 am

3. Tater Mama says:

“The Tiger” is one of my favorites, too. I don’t know how you could read it and not love it.

Enjoy your excursion with your little man.

August 21st, 2008 at 11:32 am

4. Jennifer says:

Isn’t it Tyger Tyger? I always thought Blake was weird for misspelling it, but then again I don’t really “get” Blake, so maybe I’m just missing something. 🙂

August 21st, 2008 at 11:42 am

5. nicole says:

I say San Diego. Just because I would really love to be there. However, San Antonio seems like a good guess too. I do have a little extra tidbit from your tweet earlier, which at least tells me you are near water.

August 21st, 2008 at 12:26 pm

6. Smockity Frocks says:

My guess is that you are at my favorite zoo, The Fort Worth Zoo.

Ah luv Foat Wuhth.

August 21st, 2008 at 1:14 pm

7. chickadee@afamiliarpath says:

blake, the zoo?

August 21st, 2008 at 1:14 pm

Can’t spell it Tyger. It’s wrong and I just can’t do it.

August 21st, 2008 at 1:22 pm

9. Lisa @ put-it-on-the-list says:

Curiously enough, I know the line from a Daniel Amos song, titled “William Blake.” They’re an alternative Christian band who’s been around for 25+ years, but still no one has ever heard of them. Their songwriter, Terry Taylor, is a huge Blake fan. Yes, I am a complete weirdo.

Awesome tiger picture. And I’m sure you’re at a zoo, although I have no idea which one. If you’re in Chicago, you’d have to say hi to my college roommate, who is the head vet at the Chicago zoo. I should go up there someday.

August 21st, 2008 at 2:02 pm

10. katherine says:

I didn’t have a guess for either, but I think Ft. Worth zoo is a great guess. We live in the metroplex and need to make it to the zoo before we move (hubs is in grad school). I’ve heard great things about it!

August 21st, 2008 at 2:09 pm

11. sheilah says:

Yah…I knew it was Tyger Tyger by Blake too.

Geeky git…

August 21st, 2008 at 2:09 pm

12. Veronica MItchell says:

While I do know the poem, I don’t know it well enough to recite it. I will accept the flattery anyway.

BTW, I had a scandalous dream about you last night. You and I and a bunch of bloggers were starting a fancy retail shop, and you were married to a scoundrel named Tom who was secretly embezzling from the shop and then hitting on the other bloggers. I have no idea where my subconscious dredged this up from, but it was full of drama.

August 21st, 2008 at 3:56 pm

13. Veronica MItchell says:

Also, since you are the only blogger I have met in person, you were the only one in the ream with a face. Thought I’d add that little detail.

August 21st, 2008 at 3:58 pm

14. Veronica MItchell says:

“Ream” was supposed to be “dream.” Still wanna call me well-read?

August 21st, 2008 at 3:59 pm

15. Mary says:

OK that whole dream thing was crazy…but at least I now know that other people besides me have strange and random dreams.
      🙂
      Are you an African Safari? 🙂
      Are you in India? 🙂

August 21st, 2008 at 4:30 pm

16. Linda says:

Oh I just LOVE tigers! Great pic!
      Well…you certainly would not be at the Bronz Zoo…Hhhmmm?

August 21st, 2008 at 4:52 pm

17. diamond girl says:

A little get away to the library maybe!!

August 21st, 2008 at 6:38 pm

18. edj says:

Huh. I not only know the poem but I can recite the first stanza. Yay for me.
      No clue as to locations though.

August 21st, 2008 at 8:44 pm

19. diamond girl says:

A second guess on the little get away, visiting a museum.I’ve been in a few great history museums and everything looked as real as this tiger, but if I look closley do I see coins in the water pool? Hmmm

August 22nd, 2008 at 2:41 am

20. edj says:

I think diamond girl is right. That tiger is not real.

August 22nd, 2008 at 3:26 am

21. misslisslee says:

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright
      In the forests of the night
      What immortal hand or eye
      Hath framed thy fearful symmetry?

That was lurking in my subconscious. 16 years after I graduated from college. I think I need to get a life!

August 22nd, 2008 at 8:56 am

22. Susan J. says:

Oo, oo – I know this one! Of course by now I have read all the other comments, but I really did know this. Perfect line to go with that very cool picture.

August 22nd, 2008 at 9:09 am

23. Kristen says:

Great capture of the tiger…in some really green water. I’m going to guess you are in San Diego? The zoo?

August 22nd, 2008 at 12:05 pm

24. AliAnn says:

I had never heard that poem before,but just last night the same line was quoted in a novel I’m reading. William Blake.
      The Tiger photo reminds me of Busch Gardens in Tampa. I always love to see the tigers there.

August 22nd, 2008 at 12:57 pm