• Observations

August 27, 2008

One of the most delightful things about being the mother of a four-year-old is the opportunity to see the world through his eyes.

The other day, Sean sat on a bar stool at the breakfast bar while I worked in the kitchen.  Seemingly out of the blue, he offered this observation:

“Mommy, young skin is smooth and bright,” he said lightly rubbing his forearm. “But old skin is dark and bumpy and… fragile.”

He looked up at me, into my face, as if to verify that he had been heard and understood.

All I could do was look at him and sigh.  I don’t think I’ve ever heard skin described so eloquently.

“Indeed Sean, that is true,” I told him looking down at my own arm which is not smooth and bright but not yet dark and bumpy.

I spent the rest of the day thinking of how beautiful skin is in all seasons of life, whether it is smooth and bright or… fragile.

1. Faerylandmom says:

Your four-year-old knows what “fragile” is??? You rock, Antique Mommy. 🙂

August 27th, 2008 at 1:00 am

2. Mary says:

This child!

August 27th, 2008 at 3:49 am

3. Theresa says:

I think your son is going to be a writer, the way he paints pictures with his words is amazing.

August 27th, 2008 at 7:14 am

You know, we read a lot of books around here and he seems to use the same words we use in everyday language, so he picks up a lot.

I especially liked the use of the word “bright”. I hadn’t thought of young skin as bright before.

August 27th, 2008 at 7:40 am

5. Beverlydru says:

What an apt description. The fragile skin of my 101 year old grandmother is so precious. I love to hold her hands in mine and feel the underlying strength.

August 27th, 2008 at 7:41 am

6. HarryJack'sMom says:

Bravo! They really do seem to boil it down to the heart, don’t they? Ditto the writer prediction. At the very least, he will be a wonderful man and supportive partner, if 4 is any indication – great job, AM!

It made me think of their sweet skin and my beloved gramma’s precious, fragile cheek, so thank you (and Sean) for upping my love factor for the day!

August 27th, 2008 at 8:24 am

7. Heidi says:

Oh my, how I miss my four-year-olds.

I’m totally in love with your little Sean, you know?

August 27th, 2008 at 8:28 am

Four has been charming and delightful. I will be sorry to see Four go. Five will be nice too, I’m sure, but Four has been the time of my life.

August 27th, 2008 at 8:42 am

9. Margie says:

Relish this time. It will be gone before you know it.

August 27th, 2008 at 8:46 am

10. Kelly @ Love Well says:

I agree, AM. Four is a slice of innocence and wonder between babyhood (when they can’t communicate) and school (when they start to pull away). My son turns five in October. I love five, too, but I’ll miss four.

August 27th, 2008 at 10:49 am

11. Nett says:

Four might be my favorite, too. My littlest ones are turning 6 next month. Sassy six.

Just thinking, figuratively speaking, our skin becomes thicker and tougher with age. Don’t you think?
      I guess I’m a little more than half way between, on both meanings:)

August 27th, 2008 at 10:54 am

12. Butterfly Mama says:

Yes, there observations are priceless!

Hugs,
      Heidi

August 27th, 2008 at 11:07 am

13. Fraulein says:

Wow, it’s like he’s clued in to what’s going on with the skin on my face these days. Ever since I turned 39 truly alarming things have been happening, particularly in the under-eye and outer-eye crows foot areas. Bumpy and fragile indeed…

August 27th, 2008 at 1:12 pm

14. Minnesotamom says:

Oh, Sean. I can’t wait until he’s writing…

August 27th, 2008 at 1:31 pm

15. CircusKelli says:

How very nice. Thank you for that.

August 27th, 2008 at 7:42 pm

16. rrmama says:

Amen Mama. You are raising some brilliant child. Keep up the great work!

August 27th, 2008 at 9:53 pm

17. Jen says:

I look forward to reading this little guys blog just as I do yours. Or more likely….his novel! Beautiful!

August 28th, 2008 at 10:06 am

18. ?Susan says:

I just hopped over here from Lysa Terkeurst’s blog post from today–I LOVE your “How Did This Happen?” story. I can’t stop smiling–what a great story!

Will try to come back as often as I can.

?Susan

August 28th, 2008 at 1:15 pm

Oh, how I have missed you. This is a wonderful post. Our computer died over a week ago, and that coincided with the beginning of school. We very nearly lost everything housed on the hard drive, but were able to find it all.

There is a great song called “Colored People” by DC Talk discussing the beautiful variety of skin God has given us. What an amazing little thinker you have living in your house.

August 31st, 2008 at 5:26 pm