• I Like The Way He Thinks

August 31, 2008

In the bathtub this evening, Sean was dunking his head under the water and proudly showing me how he could hold his breath, which I believe led to the following conversation. But with a four-year-old, you never really know.

“Mommy, I’m glad I’m not a hippo because then I’d have to eat grass.”

“Yes, that’s true, hippos are herbivores, they eat river grass and other vegetation. And what are lions?”

“Carnivores.”

“That’s right, they eat meat. And humans are omnivores. We eat both meat and vegetables.”

“What about the crackers?”

“Well, um, yes, crackers. Those fit in… I think that… Crackers come into play…. Um… ”

“Crackers are universal,” I said with authority.

I don’t even know what that means.

1. PastormacsAnn says:

Too funny. You’re conversations are such a tickle.

Well, as long as you said it with authority, you don’t need to know what it means, right?!

August 31st, 2008 at 11:21 pm

2. Steph @ Problem Solvin Mom says:

That is too cute! Sounds like you gave the correct answer if that was the end of the questioning – sometimes it’s all in the atitude, right? 🙂

August 31st, 2008 at 11:28 pm

3. Patsy Clairmont says:

I tried to email you but it didn’t work. And by the way “Crackers are universal.” 😉

August 31st, 2008 at 11:28 pm

4. k&c's mom says:

You have to get up mighty early in the morning to outsmart a four year old.

Made me wonder if he is still looking for the muffin man.

August 31st, 2008 at 11:33 pm

5. Jamy says:

I laughed so hard when I read this! Just last week my son was asking what a fountain was. I think my exact explanation was, “It’s like a big… (while shaping the air with my hands… while driving BTW) well, there’s water in it, and then there’s batteries in it (I was in no mood to explain what a motor was!) that make the water shoot up!” I immediately started laughing at myself. What kind of a ridiculous explanation is that? I must be an idiot.

August 31st, 2008 at 11:37 pm

6. Paula says:

This is just too funny! My four year old daughter comes out with the craziest stuff too and stumps me on many occasions. Little kids are just too precious for words! Paula 🙂

September 1st, 2008 at 12:08 am

7. Diane J. says:

Universal, huh? I think it must be related to the perennial, “‘Cause I said so.”

I guess technically crackers are vegetable because they’re made from grain, which somewhere back in its past grew on a plant. That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it.

September 1st, 2008 at 1:20 am

8. apathy lounge says:

Universal means: If you’re hungry enough…you’ll eat them.

September 1st, 2008 at 1:23 am

9. Jeana says:

I think it means you’ve gone crackers.

September 1st, 2008 at 2:37 am

10. Amy Nathan says:

Sean is going to have a lot of questions when he grows up! 😉 And a lot of awesome ideas!

September 1st, 2008 at 7:50 am

11. Kelly @ Love Well says:

That’s one of the things I love most about parenthood. If you didn’t think fast on your feet before, you will now. Unfortunately for most of us, the mental Olympics come right around the time our brain is retiring to the couch.

September 1st, 2008 at 9:28 am

I agree that crackers are universal, and I LOVE them, but has anyone else noticed that Premium crackers are a little “off” these days? I called the company and they SWEAR they did not change the recipe, but I’m not buyin’ it. I am so sad.

September 1st, 2008 at 9:43 am

13. A&EMom says:

If you were to ask my Mom something that stumped her, she’d just make up the answer. Not, “I don’t know” or “Gee, I’ll have to look that up.” She swears this bad behavior was born the day I insisted on knowing why the sky WASN’T purple.

So, the law of nature says I’ve really got it coming to me.

September 1st, 2008 at 10:02 am

14. Quirky says:

Okay, here’s proof to back up your “crackers are universal” idea, because right here, at this very moment, I am eating Wheat Thins. As soon as I read that crackers bit, I looked down at the Wheat Thin box and started laughing. I guess you do know everything.

September 1st, 2008 at 10:05 am

15. Tater Mama says:

I’m so impressed that Sean knows what a carnivore is and he’s only four! You’ve got a smartie on your hands!

September 1st, 2008 at 12:56 pm

16. imagine1community says:

Crackers are … made from grain, so that makes them vegetable, right?

September 1st, 2008 at 5:53 pm

17. The Roost says:

What a great come back mom, quick thinking for sure! Ha

September 1st, 2008 at 9:50 pm

18. Luke Holzmann says:

That’s good stuff!

~Luke

September 2nd, 2008 at 10:24 am

19. Kelly @ Wisdom Begun says:

Good answer, Mama! It doesn’t have to make sense even. 🙂

September 2nd, 2008 at 2:56 pm

20. BlapherMJ says:

Funny what parents can come up with on the fly huh?! And our kids just take it all in “because we said so.” 🙂

September 6th, 2008 at 3:04 pm