• Noggin

August 31, 2008

Guest Post

by Cousin Tim

Recently, I took a trip to Indonesia and India to visit the work our congregation and my family have been involved in for many years. I intended only to visit an orphanage and return with a report to the congregation on how the work was progressing. I had not prepared to make any speeches or preach any sermons, but God had other plans.

A method of outreach in Indonesia is teaching English through Bible classes. At their request, I brought slides of a recent trip to Israel to show to the English classes. I did so for 3 classes over six hours and also participated for an hour on their radio outreach program.

Upon my arrival in India it was clear to me that I was not in control of anything. I had planned to simply be a polite visitor and observer. However, after 23 hours of preaching and teaching in classes, villages and churches, and delivering a different message to each one, I realized something that should have been clear from the beginning: Nothing I had planned was going according to my pre-conceived idea of my purpose for this trip. The true purpose of my trip would be revealed in a poor village of Southern India.

After a long day of teaching my hosts said that we would be traveling to yet another village to preach. When I asked who would be preaching, they said, “You are!” I asked myself how I could do it after such a long and tiring day and wondered how I could think of a relevant topic.

On the road to the village, I asked my hosts to describe some characteristics of the village. As I had noticed in Indonesia, in spite of my lack of preparation, Bible stories came to my mind which applied to each group I spoke to. In this case, the covenant between David and Jonathan and how it relates to God’s faithfulness came to my mind as the right application for this village, although I did not know why. I thought about Mephibosheth, the son of Jonathan, who had been crippled when dropped by his nurse. He had grown up in fear that David would try to kill him.

When we arrived in the village, it was dark except for the dim light of low-wattage bulbs. I sat in a chair that was provided for me and the villagers gathered around to hear a sermon from the visiting missionary. They were poor people who had worked all day and had made great effort to come hear me speak that evening, some walking long distances to get there. I felt a great burden to meet their expectations.

As I sat there pondering this burden, a young boy of about seven years of age came crawling out from the darkness. He crawled in front of me, pulled himself up fully and with deep, dark and sparkling eyes and a smile on his face, reached out his hand to shake mine. To say the least, I was very humbled. At that moment, I had not the slightest doubt Who was in charge. I sat back down in my chair in the shadow of the night and cried, hoping I would be able to preach.

I know now that it was the Holy Spirit who provided the scriptures and the application brought to life by Mephibosheth of old and Mephibosheth of the village, a young polio victim whose nickname was Noggin.

We went to many villages and I never grew weary or worried because the Holy Spirit prepared my heart to teach His Word with a message specifically fit for each village. God’s Word would accomplish what He intended. I was not in control.

This trip belonged to God.

1. Krista says:

If only we could remember every day that it is really God who is in control and not us…

August 31st, 2008 at 1:07 am

2. TransitionGirl says:

There is great need in this world. Thankfully we have a Great God who fills that need.

August 31st, 2008 at 1:40 am

3. Kacey says:

Sometimes, I think we forget that The Holy Spirit is indeed part of the triune God and is with us every day as Christ promised when he ascended. God has ways of reminding us that he is with us. I loved your post!

August 31st, 2008 at 2:50 pm

4. Kelly @ Wisdom Begun says:

Hi Cousin Tim! ::waves::

This post was excellent and well said. I truly benefited from it! How awesome that we serve such an almighty God!

August 31st, 2008 at 3:16 pm

5. Carol says:

Oh, I love the story of David, Johnathon & Mephibosheth. It’s such a beautiful picture of God loving and having mercy on his people.

August 31st, 2008 at 3:55 pm

6. ingrid says:

Hi Tim,
      Excellent post! Thanks! It’s always inspiring to hear stories about people who heed the prompting of the Holy Spirit and change the lives of others, in your case beautiful Noggin’s life… That sweet little face brought tears to my eyes. I pray that he grows up to be a mighty man of God!

August 31st, 2008 at 5:25 pm

That is a wonderful story, and a wonderful reminder of how God works in everything at all times. Isn’t it just the most awesome thing when we stop to see it?

August 31st, 2008 at 5:35 pm

8. Marsha says:

What a blessing! I enjoyed your post. We do serve an Awesome God. How wonderful it is that you made yourself available to be used by the Holy Spirit on that mission trip. I can only imagine what a blessing you were to those people and what a blessing they were to you. May our Lord Jesus Christ continue to bless your ministry.

August 31st, 2008 at 7:09 pm

9. Mary says:

Beautiful Post. Thank you!

August 31st, 2008 at 9:48 pm

10. Julie at Elisharose says:

Welcome Tim!

Do you have a blog? If not, you should. God is obviously using you in a mighty way. I bet you have a lot to share.

September 1st, 2008 at 9:23 am

11. Elaine says:

Wow. So much better than Oprah this morning! 😉 (I’m having Eat, Pray, Love issues)

September 1st, 2008 at 11:48 am

12. Clemntine says:

Thank you for taking us to yet another place where God is about His business, seeking and saving the lost and transforming the redeemed into the likeness of His Son. You wear the Lord Jesus beautifully.

September 1st, 2008 at 3:32 pm

13. Kathy says:

He doesn’t call the equipped. He equips those He calls. I’m proud of you and that you allowed God to use His vessel. 🙂 You rock!

September 1st, 2008 at 5:33 pm

14. Margie says:

Our God is an AWESOME God. Our God reigns. Thanks for sharing.

September 2nd, 2008 at 12:50 pm

15. Rivkeleh says:

I read this and immediately thought of this image, a copy of which hangs (or rather, sits until I find appropriate wall-hanging devices) in my bedroom as a reminder of how to order my day:

September 2nd, 2008 at 5:25 pm