• Owls Don’t Wear Nightcaps And Other Facts Of Life

September 14, 2008

The other night Antique Daddy was reading to Sean before bedtime. The book showed an illustration of a mother owl tucking a baby owl into bed for the night.

“That’s not right!” Sean said with an edge of scornful indignation.

“What?” his father asked, puzzled.

“Owls don’t go to bed at night! (insert contemptuous sigh of disgust here) “Owls are nocturnal!”

He also pointed out a door in the middle of the tree that had no steps leading up to it and a variety of other implausible details in the scene.

I sighed.

“That is your boy,” I later told Antique Daddy. “Always thinking critically — logical and comprehending, analyzing and questioning.”

And missing out on the silliness and the fun of the story.

Being a critical thinker will serve him well in a world that increasingly blurs the line between fact and fiction, but I not-so-secretly hope that Sean has just enough of me in him to be able to suspend reality once in a while and enjoy the sheer joy of the nonsensical and implausible too.

What a dull world this would be without owls in nightcaps or a Bofa on the sofa.

1. Jenny says:

I’m sure Sean has enough of you in him to enjoy life. 🙂 He always make me laugh with his comments.

September 14th, 2008 at 7:56 pm

2. Stretch Mark Mama says:

We couldn’t even get our firstborn to believe in Santa. I mean, that should really surprise you since I’m such a playful, imaginative person myself.

(Sssssnnnnnnnneeeeerrrrkkkkkkk.)

September 14th, 2008 at 10:14 pm

He really is an imaginative little boy, but people who stop to point out inconsistencies in movies and stories make me crazy (AD).

September 15th, 2008 at 3:45 am

4. Megan (FriedOkra) says:

He already knows the word nocturnal? I’d say there’s a writer in him somewhere.

September 15th, 2008 at 3:03 am

5. edj says:

Silly Sean! Owls don’t need steps…they can fly!

I would have told him that the baby owl was being tucked in for the day. Just like Sean no doubt sometimes goes to bed when it is still light, so baby owls sometime go to bed when it is still dark. And boy do they complain.

But being a critical thinker is a great skill to have in life! He’ll learn to suspend it to enjoy stories, but it will serve him well I’m sure.

September 15th, 2008 at 3:08 am

6. fern says:

Watch out–you will never be able to fool this kid.

One of mine is all about fantasy and imagination and the other is all about analyzing and exactness. Isn’t there something in the middle? We used to say that my younger one saw exactly what was “there” and my older saw everything that “wasn’t there.”

I wouldn’t trade either of them for the world.

September 15th, 2008 at 3:56 am

7. HarryJack'sMom says:

I love to hear about his observations, and their origins. So far, I’ve been thrilled by the logical component they get from Dean, but it’s so far from me that it requires a LOT of patience and alertness. Hopefully they will all be a nice mix – can’t wait to read about his next flight of fancy 🙂

September 15th, 2008 at 6:01 am

8. Margie says:

The child knows the word “nocturnal” AND what it means?? Little genious, there, much.

September 15th, 2008 at 6:12 am

9. Kelly @ Love Well says:

From the many other posts about Sean, I can’t imagine him growing up to be a Vulcan. He’s too thoughtful.

September 15th, 2008 at 6:15 am

10. Jill says:

Oh – and speaking of the Bofa on the Sofa, my 2yo has recently started saying, “Mom, you have a crook in your look” which is really deep when you think about it. He’s called a foul on my scowl.

September 15th, 2008 at 7:05 am

11. Sarah S. says:

My ‘literalist’ has learned how to play along with me — but I can’t push it! But Sean knows all about imagination and wearing spoons as glasses and such. He’ll play along just fine…

September 15th, 2008 at 7:30 am

12. Rivkeleh says:

We bought a dinosaur costume for Halloween, and when I referred to it as such, my small one told me that I was mistaken — it is a crocodile. “Honey, it’s a T-Rex,” I reminded him. “No,” he told me seriously while screwing up his face in a way that clearly indicated that I’m a dumba**, “because a T-Rex has little tiny front legs.”

Well shut my mouth. Okay, it’s a crocodile.

I love it when they outsmart us! 🙂

September 15th, 2008 at 8:03 am

13. Nett says:

His Kindergarten teacher will need therapy:)
      He’ll challenge her like she’s never been challenged before and she’ll love him for it.

September 15th, 2008 at 2:02 pm

14. Steffj89 says:

i had one who was positive that Dumbo was part bunny because his ears were so big.
      Steff

September 15th, 2008 at 7:23 pm

15. Jennifer says:

On one hand you hope your children are grounded in reality. On the other…not so much.

Thanks for the antidote.