• Bread Pudding

September 20, 2008

Earlier in the week I mentioned on Twitter that I was making bread pudding and a number of y’all asked for the recipe, so here it is. If you are on a diet or diabetic, never mind, move along, nothing to see here…

Antique Mommy’s Bread Pudding

My bread pudding is a lot like my meatloaf – I never make it the same way twice, I use pretty much whatever I have on hand and I consider measurements only a suggestion. Here’s the basic recipe I use, but a lot of times I add in other stuff like coconut, pecans, sometimes pears.

About four or five cups of bread, cubed – I like to use left over cinnamon raisin bread

½ stick of butter, melted

1 cup or more of raisins

¾ cup of sugar

1 tablespoon of cinnamon

4 Eggs

2 Cups of Half and Half or whole milk

2 tsp. of vanilla

Cube bread and put in a large mixing bowl.

Pour melted butter over cubed bread and toss.

Add in sugar, cinnamon and raisins and toss.

Mix eggs, milk and vanilla and pour over cubed bread mixture, toss gently.

Pour in a glass baking dish and mush down a lightly so that all the bread is soaked.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes

Vanilla Sauce (makes way more than enough)

2 cups of white sugar

2 cups of brown sugar

2 cups of Half and Half or whole milk

1 stick of butter (you can get away with less)

2 tsp of vanilla

Put all in a sauce pan and cook over low heat until it boils, stirring occasionally. Pour over warm bread pudding.

I have a whole new appreciation for food photographers. Trust me, it was much yummier and a lot less gloppy than it looks here.

1. Mary says:

Looks yummy to me!

September 20th, 2008 at 5:33 am

Having a heart attack just reading the ingredients!
      😉

September 20th, 2008 at 6:48 am

3. Damsel says:

So funny you should post this because my s-i-l and family were staying with us last weekend to get away from Ike… one evening, I was craving bread pudding as only a pg woman can, so we “went to the grocery store” and accidentally on purpose stumbled into this restaurant that I happen to know serves FANTASTIC bread pudding and then, of course, we just HAD to order some! 🙂

September 20th, 2008 at 7:40 am

4. Heidi Saxton says:

This must have been the weekend for comfort food. The kids and I went apply picking yesterday, so when we got home I made one of our own family traditions … apple dumplings! I posted the recipe here: http://mommymonsters.blogspot.com/2008/09/apple-dumpling-day.html

All the satisfaction of apple pie, no pie crust angst. Enjoy!

September 20th, 2008 at 8:07 am

5. Traci Best says:

OOOHH! Love it! That sounds SOOOO good! 😉 Hmmm…bread,..eggs…milk…fruit…Sounds like a good breakfast ‘casserole’!

LOL!

My kids will LOVE THIS!

BTW,…we have been practicing the no pedals on the bikes this week and all three kids are so improved it is not even funny! Even the baby! THANK YOU for sharing that bit of wisdom!

Traci

September 20th, 2008 at 8:39 am

6. Marni says:

That plate is GORGEOUS. It would make any food look fantastic.
      I love bread pudding. But I’ve never seen a recipe for a sauce like that so am anxious to try it.

September 20th, 2008 at 8:49 am

7. The Roost says:

Sounds wonderful! Thanks for the yummy recipe! I have those same plates….love them!

September 20th, 2008 at 9:59 am

8. Jennifer says:

Yummy! We are big fans of bread pudding around here! I use my MIL’s recipe and we like to eat it warm with a bit of cold milk poured over the top.

September 20th, 2008 at 10:07 am

9. Stretch Mark Mama says:

Hubs usually hauls my plates of food outside to be photographed. Or, he drags a few lamps over by the food and makes me hold the light Just Right while he takes the pics. A real pain in the neck — annoys the kids too — but it gets the job done. And — the one thing you can say about food — it at least sits still (mostly) and smiles for the picture.

September 20th, 2008 at 11:12 am

10. Amy Nathan says:

Hey I just started Twittering. How do I find you?? It totally baffles me, but it’s fun.

September 20th, 2008 at 11:47 am

11. Kiy says:

I just printed this out, I know *just* the hubby that would adore this!

Thanks for sharing, Kiy

September 20th, 2008 at 12:03 pm

12. Jennifer says:

Let me just say from experience, this bread pudding is way yummy! Thank you AM for the heavenly treat! My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Have any leftovers????

September 20th, 2008 at 12:33 pm

13. Kelly @ Love Well says:

That sounds AMAZING! But my husband doesn’t eat deserts (he’s Vulcan), so that would be all for me. My thighs would not be happy. Maybe you could ship me just one piece?

As long as you are sharing recipes, how about the recipes for the meal you made for the new mom? That sounded fabulous too, and I’m always on the lookout for new meals that transport well to recovering families.

September 20th, 2008 at 1:23 pm

14. Cyndi says:

I was just invited to participate in yet another email recipe exchange – could I use this if I give you credit?? It looks much better than my tired old ones 🙂

September 20th, 2008 at 2:44 pm

15. Theresa says:

That looks yummy….I always have leftover Raisin Bread at the end of the week since my step son eats a loaf and a half a week, then he goes to his mom’s the next week and I’m stuck with 1/2 a loaf. This will be great, thanks.

September 20th, 2008 at 5:22 pm

16. Kay says:

Bread pudding was my grandmother’s “staple”, my dad’s favorite, and yet, you know what? I’ve never once made it on my own? Using raisen bread looks like a great idea,though, and I happen to have bunches from the bread outlet, so I think tomorrow might be the day. Thanks for the nudge…

September 20th, 2008 at 8:53 pm

17. Danell says:

Yummmm…I think I will attempt to find out if it is possible to eat an entire pan in one sitting.

September 20th, 2008 at 9:08 pm

18. Everyday Mommy says:

I think it looks divine! Save me some?

September 20th, 2008 at 11:01 pm

19. TransitionGirl says:

Thanks so much for posting this! HMMM! i’m going to try it!! 🙂

September 21st, 2008 at 4:04 am

20. Lori says:

Yum-o! =-)

September 22nd, 2008 at 8:46 am

21. rosemary says:

The recipe sounds delicious!

And I have the same set of brown transferwear as your plate. Love ’em!

September 23rd, 2008 at 9:31 am

22. Lucy says:

About two hundred years ago when I was a little kiddy girl, I remember some relative or grandmother or somebody making bread pudding. I don’t remember liking it or not liking it. I’ve never had any since. It would have been a recipe like this one, though, because that’s the way they all cooked everything. Heavy and very, very good. They could eat like that because they all worked it off naturally. Everything has changed today.

September 24th, 2008 at 7:54 am

23. Jan says:

I once had a bunch of Hawaiian bread left over, and used it to make bread pudding. Jeana’s Scott still talks about how good it was. Once of these days I am going to make it again, on purpose, not just using-up-leftover-bread.

September 25th, 2008 at 9:10 am