• © Antique Mommy 2005-2013
  • When The Goin’ Gets Tough…

October 4, 2008

The tough start cookin’.

That’s right, Wall Street might be crumbling, but I’m brownin’ and crumblin’!! I think after this week we all need a little comfort food and the best comfort food you can find anywhere is in a church cookbook. The recipe that follows comes from the First Church of Tuna cookbook.

Brunch Casserole

1 pound of sausage, browned, drained and crumbled

1 can of crescent rolls

2 cups of shredded cheese

1 small can of chiles (You can leave the chiles out if you are weird and don’t like them, or just put them on one side of the casserole like I have to do because I live with a weird non-chile eating person.)

4 eggs beaten

3/4 cup of milk

salt and pepper to taste

Brown sausage, drain and crumble.  In the meantime, lightly butter the bottom a 13×9 glass baking dish and then line with the crescent rolls, pressing the perforations together. Sprinkled with crumbled sausage and cheese.  Combine eggs, milk and salt and pepper and then pour over sausage. It won’t seem like enough egg mixture, but it is, it soaks in.  Bake at 425 for 15 minutes or until eggs are set.  Let stand 5 minutes and serve immediately.  If you’re like me, you will enjoy a spoon full of salsa on top because salsa makes everything just a little bit better.

I like to mix up a can of mandarin oranges and a can pineapple chunks and serve on the side. If I want to get real fancy, I’ll also add a basket of mini muffins of some kind.

This is a great recipe for overnight company because you can brown the sausage the night before and then assemble it in the morning and pop it in the oven and the clean up is minimal, leaving you time to enjoy your guests or just loll about.  I’m all about lolling.

This is also a good recipe for kid-sized helpers. Sean loves to press the crescent rolls into the pan.  He can also crack the eggs, measure the milk and whip it all together with minimal assistance while I brown the sausage. In fact, I let him do everything except brown the sausage. Maybe when he’s five.

Here’s a little quote right out of the First Church of Tuna cookbook that seems fitting for this week.

“Faith wears everyday clothes and proves herself in life’s ordinary situations.”

Good appetite y’all and have a loverly weekend!  Take time to comfort one another.

1. Julie at Elisharose says:

I think I would also be inclined to add a little dollop of sour cream under that salsa. Mmmm. Sounds yummy.

October 4th, 2008 at 10:11 am

I haven’t tried that, but my philosophy is you can never go wrong with sour cream.

October 4th, 2008 at 10:14 am

3. MarathonMom says:

Will that recipe make my butt look big?

October 4th, 2008 at 10:20 am

4. Sheila says:

This if funny! I just did a post on baking molasses cookies!!! I’m not sure if it is the news or the weather that sent me to the kitchen. Maybe a bit of both. It is time for some comfort food for sure!

I’m definitely going to try your Brunch Casserole-but may have to put the chilis on the side. I love church cookbooks!

October 4th, 2008 at 10:35 am

5. Laura Moore says:

hi, I am a new commenter. I love your blog. It always makes me laugh! And this recipe looks so good. I will definitely be trying it soon! I have been pulling out some of my favorite fall recipes. I think fall is the best time for comfort food.

October 4th, 2008 at 11:10 am

6. Thea says:

Could you substitute the sausage with ground beef?

October 4th, 2008 at 2:31 pm

7. Thea says:

You should so write a cookbook with recipes that children could help with!! I don’t think I have seen a cookbook like that out there. My ideal family cookbook I have not yet found would: 1) Have easy recipes like these. 2) Include children in the process (like shred lettuce, etc..) 3) Would include an affordable weekly shopping list, and focus on re-using items during the week. 4) Includes extra meat/recipes to feed the dog with as well.

October 4th, 2008 at 2:39 pm

I would not substitute hamburger for sausage. The sausage is what makes it work.

Sean has been helping me in the kitchen since he was old enough to stand up. He even knows how to use a knife properly. I just heard all the helmet moms gasping and dialing CPS.

October 4th, 2008 at 2:54 pm

9. Cyndi says:

AM, you crack me up about the knife! We also started letting the boys ‘help’ as soon as we could handle the stress ;-) I’ve never tried this recipe with crescent rolls, just cubed bread….thanx for the idea. A little ground mustard also adds a nice zing.

OT: Have you ever read J Ruth Gendler’s Book Of Qualities…I think you would dig it. Happy weekend!

October 4th, 2008 at 3:22 pm

10. happy geek says:

Oh, this recipe makes me long for Texas cookin.
      Our sausage is a little different up here. You couldn’t find Jimmy Dean if your life depended on it. Sounds Mahvelous however.
      And now I am craving biscuits and gravy. And green beans cooked with bacon. And Cousins BBQ.
      I’ve got to stop reading Southern blogs whenever they post a recipe.

October 4th, 2008 at 3:47 pm

11. Carol ~ I Throw Like A Girl says:

Yum!! Thanks for posting this.

October 5th, 2008 at 9:46 am

12. Kai says:

YUM!

I made bread pudding…AGAIN this weekend. It’s unbelievably addictive!

October 5th, 2008 at 10:21 am

13. Steffj89 says:

we have let the boys help cook forever as well….a couple of weeks ago i was craving dressing of all things and soooo like the good pregnant southern woman will do…i caved to the craving…
      made a full on dinner chicken, dressing, sweet taters etc…
      anyway I let the boys help crumble the cornbread etc for the dressing and K was paying close attention. at some point he noted that this was stuff baby grandma(my 91 y/o grandma) makes. I agreed it was and that they liked it. At which point Keif put his hands on his 5 y/o hips and said yeah but yours wont be as good.
      gotta love em
      steff

October 5th, 2008 at 5:15 pm

14. Mandy says:

I love love love this recipe….. I add 1/4 Cup sour cream and 1 to 2 tsp mustard to the egg mixture before pouring over crescent rolls. It adds a little zip to the eggs….My 10 year old daughter loves to cook.

October 6th, 2008 at 9:02 am

15. Tammy Marcelain says:

I made this last night for my family along with some cinnamon muffins, I also took your suggestion for the fruit with it, I added pears to the mix. You would have thought I was a hero. 5 thumbs up, everyone loved it and I loved that it was so easy.

October 7th, 2008 at 8:27 am

Oh! Oh! Oh! This is so going on the table some morning this week!

October 7th, 2008 at 12:01 pm

17. Eternal Sunshine says:

This sounds yummy! I don’t see where the chiles go in, though. Do you add them to the egg mixture, or do they get sprinkled on with the sausage & cheese? Or does it even matter, and I’m just being rententive?? LOL!

October 13th, 2008 at 12:09 pm