• Ho Hum to Hey!

October 6, 2008

Photos Temporarily Unavailable

I created the top picture using PIcasa, a free photo editing program from Google.  Photoshop of course can do this too, but being the democratic kind of person that I am, I like free stuff that is available to everyone.

After I fussed with it in Picasa, I did have to run it through my Photoshop program to resize the photo and take down the pixelsfrom 300 to 72 to make the file small enough to upload to my blog. As far as I know, Picasa doesn’t do that.

The original picture wasn’t very good, but there was something compelling about it to me, his far off expression and they way he is looking heavenward.  Here’s what I did to take the kind of photo I used to delete to a photo I put in my favorites file.

1. Crop.

2. Saturate.  I saturated it to the maximum level to get the blue of his eyes really bright. (As I look at it on the web, the blue is not as brilliant as it is on my monitor, so use your imagination.)

3. Focal Black and White. This option turns the entire photo into a black and white except for the selected area. I selected the eye and then made the focal spot really small, the size of his eye.

4. Soft Focus. This feature blurs out the edges giving it kind of a dreamy quality. You can determine which area you want in focus, how big of an area you want in focus and how fuzzy you wanted the edges.

1. Rachel says:

I don’t believe that Picasa will downsize…but Paint will! 😀

October 6th, 2008 at 9:24 am

2. Tammy Marcelain says:

What a precious picture of such an angelic looking young man.

October 6th, 2008 at 9:25 am

3. Sue says:

You can resize with Picasa, though not so precisely as in Photoshop. What I do with photos I want for my blog is to ‘hold’ them in the Picasa tray, then use Export to send them to another folder. The Export process asks if you want to keep the same size, or re-size, and it also gives variable qualities to use.

Lovely photo, btw!

October 6th, 2008 at 9:27 am

4. Dawn @ My Home Sweet Home says:

Great job! I love taking a picture that belongs in the trash file and making something of it. That Scott Kelby 7-point system class made me watch for those. You, too?

October 6th, 2008 at 9:33 am

5. Tracy says:

thanks for sharing! I’ve been considering downloading picasa and now I know I will for sure!

What a sweet picture – even before, but after is truly something special.

October 6th, 2008 at 9:40 am

6. The Roost says:

thanks for the photo tips! I REALLY need them.

October 6th, 2008 at 9:42 am

7. Luke Holzmann says:

Gimp is a very powerful and free image manipulation program, if you’re looking for other options [smile].

~Luke

October 6th, 2008 at 10:40 am

8. Jenny says:

Sue said it best! Just click all the pics you want to downsize, then click the Hold botton, then export to a different folder. It’s really easy. Welcome to Picasa!!

October 6th, 2008 at 10:44 am

9. Stretch Mark Mama says:

I second that emotion on resizing in Picasa. You just have to “export” and it will give you a choice. I love Picasa b/c it is easy for the photoshop dork, AND I can upload directly to my blog from that program. Easy peasy.

October 6th, 2008 at 11:39 am

10. Leslie says:

Great job with that picture! I use IrfanView to resize pictures. It’s also free.

October 6th, 2008 at 12:15 pm

11. Jodie says:

I’m gettin’ my learn on! Thanks for the lesson. 🙂

October 6th, 2008 at 12:36 pm

12. Lisa @ put-it-on-the-list says:

I second the vote for IrfanView (free download at http://www.irfanview.com). Ctrl-r is resize, Crtl-y is crop (after mouse select) and s is save as. Easy peasy!

October 6th, 2008 at 1:26 pm

13. JanMary, N Ireland says:

Great job with this. I love Photoshop Elements so much, but great results from Picasa.

Just done an online portrait photography course – challenging but great fun. Have learnt lots.

October 6th, 2008 at 2:07 pm

14. Margie says:

All that is Greek to me. But they are beautiful pictures.

October 6th, 2008 at 2:35 pm

15. Lori says:

I have used Picasa for years. I love it (the free part really helps). I recently purchased Photoshop Elements and took a community ed class in it. But for some reason, I always end up going back to my old familiar Picasa program. What a creature of habit I am!

Thanks for explaining what you did!

October 6th, 2008 at 3:44 pm

16. Lisa W. says:

What a wonderful spotlight on your precious cutey-face boy! Mmmm…I could just smooch those cheeks. Good job on the pic!

October 6th, 2008 at 4:33 pm

17. Cyndi says:

Thanx for the tip! We’ve just switched to Vista (which I think is easier on things like red-eye) and I was looking for something to replace my old photoshop 🙂 Great picture, full of all sorts of things I want to learn to do.

October 6th, 2008 at 6:47 pm

18. Fiddledeedee says:

Clearly, i need to hang over your shoulder more often. My only editing accomplishment thus far has been to get rid of “red eye.”

Very good job.

October 6th, 2008 at 9:54 pm

19. Adrian says:

Picasa is free? Whoohoo. I’ll have to give it a try. I’ve got Photoshop, but it’s just too darn complicated for me.

October 7th, 2008 at 1:44 am

20. mama speak says:

I big pink puffy heart picasa. Mostly cause I can load my stuff and then other people can download the pix of their kids w/out hassling me. 😉

I set up a group on picassa for my daughter class so I can pilfer from all their photos for my scrapbooking. I mean share all the love pix I get of their kids…

October 7th, 2008 at 4:14 am

21. Linda says:

I always love your pictures!

October 7th, 2008 at 11:41 am

22. Melissa @ Anxious for Nothing says:

Wow, that’s really nice.

October 7th, 2008 at 4:19 pm

23. Tater Mama says:

Angelic.

October 8th, 2008 at 2:01 pm

24. Norah says:

Love your site!!! Picasa now has version 3 out and it is fan-tab-u-lous!!!!!!!

October 9th, 2008 at 12:41 pm

25. fl?tblog: What others say » Antique Mommy likes fotofl?t says:

[…] few weeks ago, we came across a blog post on Antique Mommy about the cool things you can do with Google’s Picasa photo editing software. Since […]

December 11th, 2008 at 6:05 pm