• Which Came First?

October 30, 2008

What I like about this photo is the contrast between Sean’s grimy little boy hands and the fragile delicate white egg.    When he pulled it from the carton, he said, “Hey look mom! This egg is named after EB!”  EB is a dear friend who has kept Sean well stocked in hand-me-down clothes and toys since he was born. And we adore her.

The original photo was pretty unremarkable.  I cropped it for dramatic effect and then in Picasa I used the Focal Black and White feature to turn the photo into a black and white and selecting the focal point of the stamp on the egg for a pop of color.  After that I sharpened it up a little bit and that was it.

1. To Walk on Fertile Ground says:

WHOA – what a photo! EB could also stand for “eternal boy” or “extra brave”! Thanks for sharing.

October 30th, 2008 at 7:05 am

2. ruth ann says:

Like it!!

October 30th, 2008 at 7:58 am

3. Theresa (YewNorkBabe) says:

I love those eggs!!! Don’t they taste better than any other eggs?

Nice photo.

October 30th, 2008 at 8:05 am

4. apathy lounge says:

I love it that Sean is so cognizant of EB’s gifts to him that an egg appears to be just one more of many. Sweet boy.

* * * *

We call her EB Claus because she shows up at the house every few months with a giant garbage bag full of clothes and toys her grandson has outgrown, a lot of stuff that still has the tags on. We are the lucky recipients of her over-indulgent grand-parenting. And then when Sean has outgrown them, we pass them along to someone else. ~ Antique Mommy

October 30th, 2008 at 8:50 am

5. Erin D. says:

Beautiful photo! My initials were EB until I got married.

Those Eggland’s Best commercials always infuriate me, though. It’s always some woman raving about how healthy and special the eggs are and how much her poor, helpless, incapable, sexist, misogynistic husband and son love when she cooks the eggs for them. Then it cuts to the men eating. She can’t even EAT with them! She has to stay in her place in the kitchen and meet their manly needs. Grrr. What kind of ad is that?

October 30th, 2008 at 8:57 am

6. Monica @ WriterChic says:

I love Picasa. It’s holding me over until I get Photoshop (I’m hopeful, for Christmas – yea!).

October 30th, 2008 at 8:59 am

7. mom.huebert says:

What kind of egg is that? It’s round, and it has EB stamped on it. I’m not familiar with it.

* * * * *
      I think it looks round because of the angle of the camera maybe? Pity the poor hen that had to pass a round egg! It’s an Egglands Best. I’m not an egg loyalist, I pick up whatever carton is closest without broken eggs. ~ AM

October 30th, 2008 at 9:40 am

8. Gretchen says:

I would never tell him any different. 🙂

October 30th, 2008 at 10:04 am

9. Kai says:

Love it. You have such a great eye!

October 30th, 2008 at 10:11 am

10. Joni says:

Great photo. Enjoy the hand me downs. They insist on their own style too soon. The must “I need”s.

October 30th, 2008 at 10:21 am

11. diXymiss says:

Fun use of Picasa tools! If dear EB doesn’t read your blog, I suspect she would cherish a note featuring this adorable piX!

October 30th, 2008 at 1:43 pm

12. Jean says:

Am I the only one who thought EB stood for Easter Bunny?

October 30th, 2008 at 2:19 pm

13. Linda says:

You are one talented Chick!

October 30th, 2008 at 2:19 pm

14. Joanna says:

I have no idea what you just said but it looks really nice.

October 30th, 2008 at 2:29 pm

15. Rivkeleh says:

After watching your photography go from good to really groovy, I bought that digital photography book that you recommended, and read it from cover to cover while I waited for my hubby to have a medical procedure last week. So far, my camera has requested a cable release and a new tripod, and also asks for some newer, faster lens options and filters. So demanding! It’s almost like another child, except that I’m the only one who can hear it talk….

Love the photo. Love what you’re doing with your camera. And of course, love the cleverness of your boy!

October 30th, 2008 at 4:03 pm

16. Thea says:

Make sure that the yolks of the eggs are a darker yellow, this means that the hen has had better nutrition, and is eating lots of greens. EB has organic and cage free eggs, but the box has to say so. They do say that the egglands best eggs are healthier and have more Vit E because of the food they feed their hens!

Do you have any camera purchase advice, BTW? I am looking to buy a new camera, and thinking about a Nikon D40?

October 30th, 2008 at 6:21 pm

Thea –

I guess I should be more particular about my eggs given that we eat so many, but I just pick up whichever ones are closest.

On cameras, I bought a Nikon D80 last year and I love love love it, although for my skill level, the D40 would have been just fine too. Can’t go wrong with a Nikon or a Canon. I’ve owned both.

Antique Mommy