• Little Bird, Big Song

January 16, 2009

Photo Temporarily Unavailable

This is a picture AD snapped of Sean and me one Sunday after church recently. I fussed with it in Photoshop (diffused glow I think) and ended up with this sort of aged and dreamy effect which I like.

It seems to capture the feeling I have of this season in my life where time is no longer pedestrian and linear but rather bounds like a gazelle, zigzagging from day to week to month and so quickly, my eyes can’t follow.  Hasn’t every parent looked at their child and asked themselves, “How did this happen?  Where did the time go?”

The cartoonist Jerry Van Amerongen who draws Ballard Street once said, “I feel like a little bird with a big song.”  When I look at this picture, that’s exactly how I feel.

Being that boys’ mom has put a mighty big song in my heart.

1. Lisa Bendel says:

Oh, do I know how you feel! Where did the time go? It was only “yesterday” that my first child was born and now today, he is all grown up (21 next month) and in the Air Force. My middle son is in his freshman year of college and my little guy (seven) still calls me “Mommy”…thank goodness! The picture of you and Sean is beautiful. Have a nice weekend!
      Lisa

January 16th, 2009 at 11:25 pm

2. Bee says:

Being that boy’s mom has put a mighty big song in my heart.

I know that song! It’s the most profoundly beautiful music I have ever heard. I’ve been listening to it for almost 20 years now, and it’s still just as clear and sweet as it ever was.

January 16th, 2009 at 11:55 pm

3. Angie says:

Keep singing that song, too! Isn’t life with littles such a blessing?

January 17th, 2009 at 12:08 am

4. HarryJacksMom says:

Oh, sweet. You are a walking(typing) billboard for photoshop and picasa….I need to get to editing. Great photo and even better verbal imagery – happy weekend!

January 17th, 2009 at 1:18 am

5. Amanda says:

Beautiful photo… love the smiling look on your boy’s face (or should that be ‘laughing’ look? 🙂 )

January 17th, 2009 at 1:51 am

6. RefreshMom says:

I can echo so many of your sentiments. Maybe because we became Antique Mommy’s to our little boys around the same time, so the life and light and smiles in your world are echoed in mine.

Your next-to-closing line is nearly identical to one I wrote that will be posted on 5 Minutes for Mom’s “Sampler” later this month (next Friday maybe?).

I think I like coming here because it’s familiar without being the sound of my own voice. Thanks for sharing your dear ones with the rest of us.

January 17th, 2009 at 3:25 am

7. Sam says:

what a lovely picture, isn’t it great to be able to fiddle with our photographs now instead of hoping that they come back from the shop at least half way decent!!

January 17th, 2009 at 5:53 am

8. Lucy says:

What an adorable picture. It should be framed and hung.

***
      I’m going to mess with it some more and then fotoflot it! ~ AM

January 17th, 2009 at 7:31 am

9. JanMary, N Ireland says:

Love your photo shopping. Super picture and moment to capture.

January 17th, 2009 at 9:45 am

10. everydayMOM says:

OH my gosh! You’re so beautiful!! I was expecting flannel… and “bad hair” as you described yourself in previous post. Certainly NOT a sweater! The two of you are so cute and the picture is beautiful!

January 17th, 2009 at 10:16 am

11. Kathy says:

Sweetest song, AM! I know the harmony…..

January 17th, 2009 at 11:01 am

12. Shoe says:

You do so good with your pictures. I’m getting a camera and hope to learn something about photoshop and the other things.

January 17th, 2009 at 11:18 am

13. Grace says:

Oh, that all mommys understood the value of each day with their children…days not to be merely coped with, but treasured. They do fly by so fast. Our sons are now grown, (one still here and in college), and I continue to cherish every moment with them. AM, I think you captured the secret of savoring each day by your post on Joy.

January 17th, 2009 at 12:39 pm

14. Maria (Conversations with Moms) says:

Great job capturing the emotions you were feeling on camera.

Being a parent is a great and lucky honor. Thank you for reminding me to cherish every moment.

January 17th, 2009 at 2:44 pm

15. jean says:

This photo is perfect. It captures that song in all it’s beauty.

January 17th, 2009 at 4:11 pm

Loved this post.

January 17th, 2009 at 5:00 pm

17. Diamond Girl says:

AM. I have to ask, after seeing the barn picture, how much of this picture is in the moment, will you be showing us the original untouched version? Isn’t the tech. stuff great, fooling the world and creating your own history at the same time (or not). Oh, just want to say I always like a mother and child photo!

***
      I guess I’m not clear on what you mean by “fooling the world and creating your own history”. As an artist, I use all kinds of tools to interpret my world and my life — words, paint, photography — but I don’t really see it as an effort to fool anyone or manufacture something that isn’t. ~ AM

January 17th, 2009 at 5:10 pm

18. Gretchen says:

Totally superficial here: you are gorgeous.

And the picture evokes very sweet feelings.

January 17th, 2009 at 5:55 pm

19. Shelly W. says:

That is absolutely beautiful–both the picture and the words.

January 17th, 2009 at 9:59 pm

20. thatgirl says:

I was just looking at pics from two years ago, and the kids looked like such babies! I miss them already…

January 18th, 2009 at 12:29 am

21. Megan (FriedOkra) says:

YES! I feel every word of this post. And I’m wearing a black turtleneck today, too. I know! Uncanny, isn’t it? Hee hee.

January 18th, 2009 at 1:34 pm

22. Baby Favorite says:

Absolutely beautiful.

January 18th, 2009 at 2:35 pm

23. Mimi says:

I love this picture of you and Sean. It is simply Beautiful. It needs to be blown up to at least a 16×20 or even larger and hung over a fireplace or somewhere it will be seen! Just beautiful and I’m also talking about the inner beauty of the love and happiness you two share.

January 18th, 2009 at 5:04 pm

24. Margie says:

So beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Moments like that are seldom captured so I’m glad you have yours.

January 19th, 2009 at 10:21 am

25. Jeni says:

That is a beautiful picture. I would love to see the original too. I love your posts and I can totally relate to this one. My little one will be 4 next month and she is such a big girl now.

January 19th, 2009 at 11:57 am

26. Leah says:

That is an absolutely heart warming picture.

January 19th, 2009 at 8:08 pm