• Red Dragonfly

February 10, 2009

Photobucket

I was organizing some pictures today and came across this picture I took of a red dragonfly that captured my attention one day while at the zoo last fall.  We have blue dragonflies around here a lot in the summer, but I had never seen a red one before. I love the way the red pops against the green and how the iridescent wings sparkle in the sun.

Photobucket

Here’s the same image after I messed around with it in Photoshop to give it more of a painterly effect. Photoshop – all the fun of painting but without the mess.

1. k&c's mom says:

I would love to be the first to say that this is an AMAZING picture! Keep it up, AM.

February 10th, 2009 at 11:13 pm

2. suzanne says:

Either of those would look great framed, AM!!! Great job!

Suzanne

February 11th, 2009 at 12:13 am

3. Faerylandmom says:

Cool!

February 11th, 2009 at 1:06 am

4. Krista says:

and yet again I am reminded that I have to find that picture somewhere… this week it might actually happen as I’m trying to get all my pictures backed up to CD!

February 11th, 2009 at 1:21 am

5. Sue says:

That is a great photo! We have lots of red dragonflies here in Japan. In fact, it may be the most common one here, but I don’t think I have ever seen one that bright before. Beautiful!

***
      It was an especially bright red dragonfly, but she got a little help from Photoshop! ~AM

February 11th, 2009 at 3:10 am

6. Beck says:

Those are both lovely.
      WE don’t have red dragonflies here – although we do have the blue ones.

February 11th, 2009 at 8:56 am

7. Just Mom says:

Beautiful photos.

I have Photoshop, but I never seem to use it to its fullest potential.

February 11th, 2009 at 9:28 am

8. nicole says:

Very pretty. I like the original look best.

February 11th, 2009 at 10:12 am

9. Nette says:

Wow! That’s SO cool. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a red one, either.
      They’d look cool framed side-by-side.

February 11th, 2009 at 10:26 am

10. Jennifer says:

Very cool pictures! …..

February 11th, 2009 at 11:17 am

11. Dianne says:

How beautiful! I’ve never seen a red dragonfly. Photoshop’s so much fun! 😀

February 11th, 2009 at 11:23 am

12. Shoe says:

Dragon flies are beautiful up close.
      Did you publish the 2nd picture much later than the 1st? I got the post last night and there was only the one picture and today there are 2. I’m trying to decide if I have computer problems!
      You can email me if you want.

I have a camera now and I need to get familiar with it. Then I want to try photoshop etc. I tend to hold back on playing with it. Everyone else I’m with does such a better job and lets me know it.

February 11th, 2009 at 11:34 am

13. Jim says:

Cool picture. Hmmmmm I can’t say that I’ve seen a red one before. We have the blue, black, and the green which are quite common out here in our neck of the Woods.
      Gonna be more observant this year and look closer.
      I wonder if they can change colors to their enviornment, like some other critters which have that capability?

February 11th, 2009 at 11:49 am

14. HarryJacksMom says:

Awesome! You make me want to get creative 🙂

February 11th, 2009 at 12:54 pm

15. Sarah says:

The second one sort of reminds me of stained glass. I like it!

February 11th, 2009 at 1:37 pm

16. Janet says:

I always love your photography and, most of the time, what you do with it in Photoshop. However, I have to say that this time I like the original best. In the original it is obvious that the dragon fly is unique because of it’s color. In the Photoshop version, the red looks ‘photoshopped’ like all of the other color enhancements, and therefore not special. Sorry. Just an observation.

February 11th, 2009 at 4:54 pm

17. Sharpie says:

I disagree with Janet completely! I LOVE the second one – it looks like a painting. Were you not going for that kind of overstated artistic effect? I think it’s interesting and extra special. Is it for sale?? 🙂

February 11th, 2009 at 5:34 pm

18. Pam says:

Love the dragonfly. I do not have photo shop. I think it would be very addicting (o: I wanted to tell you a funny thing that happened to this Grammy while watching the Grands play at McDonalds. A lady chatted with me for awhile, then wanted to know if she could leave her kids with me while she ran to the store. I did NOT know this woman. Crazy!

February 11th, 2009 at 8:41 pm

19. Betty Beguiles says:

Beautiful! It’s a disgrace that I still do not have Photoshop! 😉

February 11th, 2009 at 10:38 pm

20. Bonnie says:

I love that! Think it would be beautiful in one of my son’s rooms.

February 12th, 2009 at 10:30 am

21. zoom says:

wow

I have never seen a red dragonfly.

February 12th, 2009 at 3:28 pm

22. Maria M (Conversations with Moms) says:

I never thought I’d find a Dragonfly beautiful but you did a great job capturing the beauty.

February 12th, 2009 at 6:34 pm

23. Dawn @ My Home Sweet Home says:

I saw this yesterday and meant to tell you how beautiful it is.

February 12th, 2009 at 7:57 pm

24. Dawn Corrigan says:

Today I saw my first red dragonfly and was kind of stunned. It was fun to find your web site and see what you did with a similar experience. I love the Photoshopped result.

June 9th, 2009 at 1:33 pm

25. Michael says:

I too had never seen a red draginfly, until one started visiting me daily here in Arlington, TX. I have not been able to take a good picture yet, yours is stunning.

June 23rd, 2009 at 12:17 pm