• Find Your Niche

February 13, 2009

Photobucket

Yesterday was 73 and sunny, so Sean and I played hookey and went to the zoo. These days when we can slip off and do that are golden.

The animals have so much to teach us about life.  Like this goat-type animal who looks like he’s found his niche — sometimes it’s good to just be still and watch the world pass by. There really is value in that.

The world tells us the opposite.  We’ve convinced ourselves that we’ve got so much to do and that we have to get it done.  And so in order to make the most of our time,  we learn to do two or more things at once!  For me, these kinds of accomplishments are largely unsatisfying because the to-do list is never exhausted. There will always be more tasks, but there won’t always be another today. These golden days, they are numbered.

If you really want to make the most of your time, try wasting some of it. It’s good for the soul to goof off, to set aside some time to do nothing in particular other than hang out with your kids and soak up the beauty of the world right outside your window.

I’m off to do that right now.

Have a good weekend!

1. tom says:

I’ve often said that these days of modern conveniences, though they were promised in the 1950’s onward as bringing us more time for leisure and enjoyment of life, have tied us down and made us busier than ever. More is expected now, in less time.

If we keep up the trend of increasing “busy-ness”, we’ll burn out.

Goof off. Very good advice. We all need it.

February 13th, 2009 at 2:02 pm

2. Dianne says:

Excellent advice! It’s sad that it’s so difficult for us to just chill out, but we sure do need it. Even God rested on the 7th day. He gave us the example. And when I do take those days, they’re so wonderful. Thanks for the reminder. 😀

February 13th, 2009 at 3:02 pm

3. Leigh says:

Just what I needed to be reminded of today! Thanks!!

February 13th, 2009 at 3:02 pm

4. Jeni says:

Great idea! Time invested to appreciate life & loved ones is never time wasted. It’s hard to remember when we get bogged down with the pressures in our lives, but taking a time out & refocusing is a good thing!

February 13th, 2009 at 5:34 pm

5. Pat says:

Absolutely true! I have gazed out at my back yard practically all day and it feels wonderful! Happy Valentine’s Day!

February 13th, 2009 at 5:58 pm

6. Amy says:

Just today we went to our little small-town museum. While not the Smithsonian – not even close – it is a thing of wonder to my little kids. Have a great weekend.
      Amy

February 13th, 2009 at 6:12 pm

7. Iota says:

You’re so so right. It’s so much a part of modern life to be busy that I say I am, even when I’m not. How did we get to this ridiculous place?

February 13th, 2009 at 7:01 pm

8. Gretchen says:

My gift to myself is a daily nap. Even if I don’t sleep–even if it’s just time to read, watch GH or just chill. It’s down time. The door is closed. Parenting commences in 20, 30, or 60 minutes. Whatever I can get away with.

But we have our share of goofing off together, too. My son attends an alternative school, so sometimes we just get a wild hare about ourselves and have to go to the Museum of Flight or the Museum of History and Industry. Not my favorite pastimes on the surface, but getting under my son’s skin and hearing what he has to say on life’s matters, both little and big is huge. And at 12.5, these days are golden, indeed.

February 13th, 2009 at 7:03 pm

9. Sarah says:

What a wonderful memory for our son, and what an example to set for him, reminding him to slow down and enjoy this life because Today only happens once =)

February 13th, 2009 at 7:08 pm

10. Dawn says:

Amen 🙂 Thanks for the confirmation here, my thoughts today exactly!!
      There is an appointed time for everything…
      I think I’ll go waste some time and watch a movie with my kiddo’s. 😉 Blessings on ya!

February 13th, 2009 at 7:17 pm

11. Julie at Elisharose says:

One of the reasons we homeschool. If we get the urge during the week, we take it! I know it’s not for everyone, but it has been such a blessing to our family to be able to be together so much.

February 13th, 2009 at 8:07 pm

12. Christine says:

I took Monday off with the express intention of doing jsut that – playing with my girlies! Great post!

February 13th, 2009 at 10:50 pm

13. Faerylandmom says:

I love that last paragraph…speaks directly to me today, as I’m feeling rather overwhelmed by everything I “should” be doing.

February 13th, 2009 at 10:50 pm

14. Nette says:

Such good advice.
      The kids and I take opportunities to enjoy life, but I miss Daddy not being with us. I’m a bad influence as I constantly try to get him to skip out on work.
      But, he’s a “good boy”.

February 14th, 2009 at 10:25 am

15. Shoe says:

What a beautiful lesson!
      Memories last.
      Happy Valentine’s Day!

February 14th, 2009 at 12:36 pm

I never have mastered that whole multi-tasking thing. I better go do some reading and goof off. As soon as I’m done goofing off by reading blogs!

February 14th, 2009 at 6:28 pm

17. suzanne says:

Dear AM, you are right on target with this post. I don’t want to rush thru life and not even taste what I am eating……or miss what I am seeing….you get the point. Thanks for a great reminder!

Suzanne

February 14th, 2009 at 6:53 pm

18. Betty Beguiles says:

I couldn’t agree more. Thanks for the reminder! Happy Valentine’s Day!

February 14th, 2009 at 9:06 pm

19. Nan says:

Now that my eldest son is 11, I am so very glad I took so many days off with him when he was little. The boys all missed enough school in the early grades to raise a few eyebrows at school, but they still get great grades and we have so many memories. Plus, isn’t the zoo educational? I bet they learn more doing outdoor stuff than they would on the average school day anyway.

February 17th, 2009 at 6:18 pm