• © Antique Mommy 2005-2013
  • Minnie, It’s Time To Move On

February 23, 2009

Sometimes I let Sean watch The Mickey Mouse Club House to occupy him while I’m getting dressed or trying to get something done.

Yesterday morning, while I was getting dressed for church, he turned and asked me if Mickey and Minnie were married.

No, I told him, I thought they were just dating. Then I started thinking about it. They’ve been dating since 1928.  Someone needs to step up and be Minnie’s friend and tell it to her straight.

Dear Minnie -

I know that you love him. He’s cute and he’s funny.  All the girls love him Minnie. He looks really cute in those little pants.  But let’s face it Min, it’s been 81 years!  Have you even met his parents? No. Do you have a ring? No. You haven’t even been to his apartment – only his club house!

Mick’s got commitment issues sister.  He’s just not that into you. It’s time to move on.  And while we’re at it, I’m sending Stacy and Clinton over to talk to you about those shoes and that dress.

Love,

Antique Mommy

1. JanMary, N Ireland says:

LOL!

My son loves it too.

February 23rd, 2009 at 9:12 am

2. Karen says:

lol. thanks for the smile this morning. Especially the nod to What not to wear. LOVE that show. :)

February 23rd, 2009 at 9:13 am

3. Rachel says:

Lol….thanks for the giggle. Monday mornings are much better with a giggle. And What Not to Wear is high on my DVR list. :) Have a great day!

February 23rd, 2009 at 9:41 am

4. Sarah at themommylogues says:

In Minnie’s What Not to Wear defense, her shoes ARE a pop of color. But they look way too big, don’t they? And I’m guessing the bow would have to go. Maybe she could go for something a little more A-line to accentuate the waist.

Pete’s not making any offers either. It might be time to meet some new people, Minnie.

February 23rd, 2009 at 10:05 am

5. rrmama says:

My youngest loves that show too. And while Stacy and Clinton are helping her with her clothing, get rid of the hair bow!

February 23rd, 2009 at 10:07 am

6. Lucy says:

Funny! Wish I’d thought of it. And what’s with Donald Duck and his three nephews. What’s their baggage all about?

February 23rd, 2009 at 10:45 am

7. MM says:

Oh. I’ve watched that show ONCE in the last few months and NEVER AGAIN. It has changed so much since I was little and it was such a disappointment. That and I get that silly saying stuck in my head, when they need help, “Oh Toodles!” WTH???

February 23rd, 2009 at 10:53 am

8. hodgesgal says:

I agree.. poor Minnie and poor Daisy, Donald is stringing her along too.

February 23rd, 2009 at 11:03 am

9. Shoe says:

I didn’t know the Mickey Mouse Club was still going! Even Seasame Street has changed.

February 23rd, 2009 at 11:09 am

10. Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com says:

Oh my gosh, the shoes are nothing. LOOK AT THAT BOW.

February 23rd, 2009 at 12:24 pm

11. tom says:

I feel worse for Goofy. He was obviously married at some time, since he has a son, but what the heck happened there? I think he might be a bad influence on Mickey. “Don’t ever let ‘em get too close, Mick,” he says with a drawl while sucking down a sasparilla. “They just break yer heart. Gawrsh.”

February 23rd, 2009 at 12:39 pm

12. Lysa TerKeurst says:

Too cute! I always wondered why she wears yellow pumps with that outfit. Better yet, why she wears yellow pumps at all?

Hehehe.

Hugs to you friend!

February 23rd, 2009 at 1:07 pm

13. Mary says:

That is so funny…81 years wow!

February 23rd, 2009 at 2:08 pm

14. Amy says:

I’m with you. However, my toddlers love it.
      To my dismay, I am singing the theme song in my sleep….along with the theme song to Imagination Movers, too.
      Great post.

February 23rd, 2009 at 4:16 pm

15. Jenn @ Casa de Castro says:

I agree. Call Stacy and Clinton! She does need to know what NOT to wear for the next century of her life. ;)

Funny post, AM. Thanks for the smile.

February 23rd, 2009 at 4:49 pm

16. Carliee says:

Yes, Minnie, I’m sorry but the bow has got to go. Big bows were last in around 1990? Hmmm….maybe Mickey needs a good shove…er talking to…

February 23rd, 2009 at 6:19 pm

17. Morgan says:

Haha! My kids have asked me the same question!!

February 23rd, 2009 at 6:28 pm

18. Kelly @ Love Well says:

As long as you’re writing letters to cartoon characters, would you write to Pooh and ask him where all the women are? In that entire 100 Acre Wood, I find it hard to believe that Kanga is the only female.

February 23rd, 2009 at 6:59 pm

19. YewNorkBabe says:

And another thing Minnie: If he liked you then he shoulda put a ring on it.

February 23rd, 2009 at 7:14 pm

20. Ginny says:

LOL! I love this. Thanks for telling Minnie the way it is and letting us enjoy it along the way.
      ~Ginny

February 23rd, 2009 at 7:58 pm

21. Minnesotamom says:

BWAHAHAAAAAAA! That was a laugh-out-louder. The better of all the wonderfuls, I tell ya.

February 23rd, 2009 at 8:43 pm

22. Iota says:

How can you be sure it’s not Minnie who has the commitment issues?

***

You could be right Iota, but anyone who wears a bow that big appears to be trying awfully hard….
      :-)

February 23rd, 2009 at 9:23 pm

23. Kacey says:

Since he’s been messing with her for eighty-one years, her honor is shot. They probably haven’t married because she would lose her Social Security…. that’s what all the old people in Florida say when they inhabit the same clubhouse! I really think that if she likes the dress, why mess with success?

February 23rd, 2009 at 10:53 pm

24. Sprite's Keeper says:

Too funny! My two year old is a huge Minnie fan, barely acknowledges Mickey. I used to work for the rat myself. He used me too. That’s worthy of removing that show from my DVR.

February 23rd, 2009 at 11:03 pm

25. Marian says:

Thanks for the laugh!

February 24th, 2009 at 12:29 am

26. Gretchen says:

I secretly think Mickey has the hots for Daisy…but that’s even weirder than dating a same species mouse for 81 years…

IMHO.

February 24th, 2009 at 12:45 am

I’m so glad my 4 year old doesn’t show any interest in the show. We’ve seen it – and boy, was I disappointed in how it compared to the one of the past (except I don’t miss Jimmy, I always suspected he was a perv, hanging out with all those younger kids) – but she never asks to see it on her own.

***
      I actually kind of like it. I think it’s better than the 1950s version I grew up with. The music is kind of catchy. ~AM

February 24th, 2009 at 6:20 am

28. Lori says:

I needed that laugh this morning. Sure beats the heck out of reading that the stock market has tanked to the level it was at in 1997. Shoulda put my money under the mattress.

February 24th, 2009 at 10:34 am

29. Judi says:

I was a Mickey Mouse Club fan in 1955, but have never watched the newer versions. We can’t catch up with Mickey and Minnie’s 81 years, but we were out with friends recently and the guys were talking about their crushes on Annette of the original Mouseketeers – a torch they have carried for over 50 years!

February 24th, 2009 at 12:49 pm

30. Sally says:

“He’s just not that into you”- you are too funny!!!

February 25th, 2009 at 12:08 pm

31. AlyGatr says:

Thanks for a good chuckle! I thought it very interesting that on the “Love Day” episode of Blue’s Clues that Cinderella got to explain how she and Prince Charming did actually get married…and had a kid…and that she now has a job making shoes that won’t fall off. Glad the girl decided to get herself a job :) Like she didn’t work that hard before!

February 25th, 2009 at 12:44 pm

32. Jennifer says:

My friend a cake topper of Mickey and Minnie as bride and groom for her wedding back in 2001. Minnie and Mickey are least faking marriage. It looked just like this one.

***
      Your link didn’t work, so I took it out, but I’ve seen those cake toppers. I read somewhere that over the years Mr. & Mrs. Mickey Mouse “stuff” has been on the market, but they’ve never married. Or maybe they’re Catholic and just got it annulled.

February 26th, 2009 at 10:19 pm

33. The Other Elle says:

Oh, you are so right! Can’t you just hear Stacy and Clinton telling Minnie that they don’t CARE if the round-toed shoes are comfortable, that she should be willing to put up with the discomfort of pointy-toed shoes in order to be stylish? And that NECKLINE! It should be a vee-neck, to make her short neck look longer…
      Gah, I watch too much TV.

February 27th, 2009 at 2:13 pm

34. mama speak says:

After 81 years & they’re just dating, I’m thinking they’re each others beards. Daisy & Donald too. Let’s face it, I don’t care what kind of doormat you are you aren’t stick it out that long unless you’re getting something out of it.

If I’m right, it would explain the poor clothing choices too. I’m just saying…

March 5th, 2009 at 4:31 pm