• Awesome Dudette and Birthday Girl

March 17, 2009

Photobucket

Today is my Aunt Jean’s birthday. She is 91. This is a picture of her that I stole off my mother-in-law’s desk.  Actually I didn’t steal it. I asked her if I could have it as I was putting it my purse. Along with some stamps and a brand new tube of lip gloss.  She sighed and said something like, “I suppose” which I took to mean “Yes, please, I want you to have those things.”

This is a government worker ID mug shot of some sort which I think was taken  around 1937.   It had her name on the placard, but I Photoshopped it out because I am so very clever. Plus I don’t want y’all to know her name because then all the internets will show up on her doorstep begging that she be their aunt too and that she make them the best ever cherry cobbler.  No! No I say! You cannot have her, she is my aunt —  mine, mine, mine! And about 53 other cousins. But clearly she likes me the best.

I keep this picture on my desk.  I enjoy looking at it off and on throughout the day because I think Aunt Jean is so pretty. And she inspires me to look more carefully for the goodness in people, to choose words of kindness over criticism, to focus outward and upward.

Happy Birthday Aunt Jean!

If you are new around here, here are two classic Aunt Jean posts:

Limit Two Protocol

and

It’s Not A Party Without Properly Cleaned Switchplates

I hope you really sent her a copy of that as her birthday card! 😉

March 17th, 2009 at 5:04 am

2. HarryJacksMom says:

Oh, Happiest Birthday, Aunt Jean! Thank you for all the good you’ve done through your Antique Niece :wub:

March 17th, 2009 at 7:34 am

3. Sarah at themommylogues says:

That’s sort of cruel of you. I love cherry cobbler. You’re denying the internet of its greatness.

Happy Birthday, Aunt Jean!

March 17th, 2009 at 7:49 am

4. YewNorkBabe says:

You know how sometimes you look into someone’s eyes and know that they are truly nice….your aunt has those eyes! So does my husband.

Happy Birthday Aunt Jean!

March 17th, 2009 at 8:13 am

5. rrmama says:

Happy Birthday Aunt Jean! Have a wonderful day.

March 17th, 2009 at 9:24 am

6. Beverlydru says:

Now I love her too. But you can have her as I have plenty in my clan. Good times.

March 17th, 2009 at 10:06 am

7. Tom says:

Yay! A birthday party! Have a happy birthday, Aunt Jean! And two neat posts to read too. What a great day.

March 17th, 2009 at 10:11 am

8. Shoe says:

Happy Birthday Aunt Jean, Antuque Mommy’s favorite AUNT!!!!! Many Many Many more!

March 17th, 2009 at 10:51 am

9. Jenn @ Casa de Castro says:

You are wise to protect her idenity because we all surely would RUN to her house for a helping of cherry cobbler and some sage advice! Who WOULDN’T want her to be “their” Aunt Jean!?!?!

Happy birthday, AJ. Happy Tuesday, AM.

March 17th, 2009 at 10:55 am

Happy Birthday, Aunt Jean.

And I’m glad you clarified that her mugshot was due to building cabins and bridges for the WPA rather than breaking rocks for the state of Mississippi. 🙂

March 17th, 2009 at 11:54 am

11. JanMary, N Ireland says:

Happy Birthday Aunt Jean and Happy St Patrick’s Day from N Ireland.

March 17th, 2009 at 12:18 pm

12. Gretchen says:

“Actually I didn’t steal it. I asked her if I could have it as I was putting it my purse. Along with some stamps and a brand new tube of lip gloss. She sighed and said something like, “I suppose” which I took to mean “Yes, please, I want you to have those things.””

Hi-larious. My grandma says those same sorts of things when I steal…er..um…ask.

March 17th, 2009 at 1:11 pm

13. Baby Favorite says:

Happy Birthday, Aunt Jean! I will just *pretend* she’s my aunt, I suppose. Hmph!

March 17th, 2009 at 1:17 pm

14. Karen {simply a musing blog} says:

That photo is amazing…(leave it to the govt to take a “mugshot”!) — but your aunt is extremely beautiful – she has kind eyes…I can see why you’d want to steal, um…borrow that photo. 🙂

March 17th, 2009 at 3:03 pm

15. AZ Dog Mom says:

You all just see the kindness, but even without having read the other posts on Aunt Jean, I see a woman with spunk. That picture, without knowing anything about her, tells a story all its own. And I’ll bet its a pretty interesting story.

March 17th, 2009 at 3:41 pm

16. Adrian says:

Aw, I just lost my Aunt Jeanne this month. She didn’t make the best cobbler ever, but she was my Mom’s best friend and one of the new people still around who’ve known me literally all my life. I’ll definitely miss her! Enjoy your Aunt Jean – you’re so lucky to have her.

March 17th, 2009 at 6:34 pm

17. MotherPie says:

Now that my kids are almost all in their 20s (one lingering, but almost) I’ve gone on facebook and had a blast.

Plus shoulder surgery.

Anyway, it has been awhile since I’ve popped over to comment rather than reading your posts on RSS through bloglines and omg.

WHAT A GREAT NEW LOOK. awesome. just fab. I’m settling into splitting time, btw, between Santa Fe and FW…

March 17th, 2009 at 8:19 pm

18. Beck says:

She’s so beautiful, isn’t she? Happy birthday to her.

March 18th, 2009 at 10:40 am

19. Amy says:

Just read the two posts you highlighted on Aunt Jean…she is great! Wish I knew her!

March 18th, 2009 at 5:01 pm

20. Becca says:

Awww, I hope your Aunt Jean had a wonderful birthday! She’s the Pepsi/Snickers queen, right? I love those old posts of yours. I can’t believe it’s been so long since I’ve been around. Don’t worry, you can’t get rid of me that easily! I’ll be checking up on you now…

March 18th, 2009 at 8:17 pm

21. jen from windy ridge says:

Happy Birthday from Windy Ridge Aunt Jean. Want to come and live with us?

March 18th, 2009 at 9:06 pm

22. diXymiss says:

Others have mentioned her kind eyes and spunky eXpression, but I was most taken by in this photo is her hands. Just look at those beautiful, feminine, graceful hands! Happy b-day to your dear Aunt Jean. (In our family tree, it’s spelled Jeanne)

March 19th, 2009 at 2:21 pm

23. Fraulein says:

She is gorgeous. That’s awesome. Happy birthday Aunt Jean!

March 20th, 2009 at 3:15 pm