• Hug Someone Real Tight Today

March 24, 2009

Photobucket

Here’s another picture I found in my mother-in-law’s box of old family photos.  According to the back, it was taken in May of 1944.

Everything about this picture — the black and white composition, the shady, tree-lined street, the little girl cradling her big cat — speaks to a long gone innocence that is appealing to me. What the picture doesn’t reveal is that just across the ocean, World War II was excellerating and Europe was going up in flames.

1. mary says:

So cute. Who is it?

It doesn’t say on the back, but I believe it is the little sister of my father-in-law (whom I never met, he died in 1968). He would have been about 22 at the time.

March 24th, 2009 at 8:37 am

2. Musings of a Housewife says:

That is precious. Don’t you just LOVE old photos?

March 24th, 2009 at 8:50 am

3. Tara says:

I’m loving all these old photos you’re sharing. I am the receiver of old photos in our family. It makes me a little sad when I think that so many memories are lost when people leave this life.

March 24th, 2009 at 9:14 am

4. rrmama says:

I love how pictures capture you. Old picturs always take me back to a place in time I would love to go. I have a box of old black and whites along with some color pictures I love to revisit.

March 24th, 2009 at 9:44 am

5. Crystal says:

I love looking at old pictures. The stories that go with them are almost always amazing.

March 24th, 2009 at 9:48 am

6. gretchen says:

Wow. Things haven’t really changed when you look at an innocent child holding her cat. I mean, I know things have changed. I do. It’s just. I’m glad that has stayed the same for the most part. It comforts me.

March 24th, 2009 at 9:59 am

7. tami says:

It is precious to be protected from some things “across the ocean.” Parents do it for their children, and the Lord does it for us. And yet, their is a time of growing up, of facing truth – not alone, but in His Spirit.

March 24th, 2009 at 10:42 am

8. Jen Welton says:

My mother and grandmother are genealogical gurus, so I grew up surrounded by old photos and tons of stories. They are slowly but surely passing all their info and photos to me to keep. Just last week I was going through some of them with my youngest. It’s amazing to look at someone who grew up in the 20’s and see your child’s eyes or nose on their face.

March 24th, 2009 at 11:36 am

9. Heidi says:

My mom was born in May of 1944. Her dad was already across the Pacific serving with the Navy. He met his new daughter when she was 18 months old.

March 24th, 2009 at 11:36 am

10. JanMary, N Ireland says:

A precious find – wonder how much she knew of the war? Thanks for sharing.

March 24th, 2009 at 11:59 am

11. Jon D (Graco) says:

Great picture. But what really got me was your comment about it. The current perspective we bring to alot of old photos really make them memorable.
      Thanks!

March 24th, 2009 at 1:12 pm

12. bonniebeth says:

Love the pictures from the WWII era. My parents married in 1940 and then had my sister in 1941 and my brother in 1944. My dad was a minister and 28 when he married – so therefore was not drafted although his brothers and my mom’s brother were. We know how the war ended, but I think the faith my parents had in God’s protection of America during those years was awesome.

To have a family during perilous times demands trust.

March 24th, 2009 at 2:48 pm

13. Nette says:

Being a cat lover, I love the look on the cat’s face.
      I also love all of the shadowing.

March 24th, 2009 at 4:35 pm

14. JoLyn says:

I love the photos and stories you are telling with them. Every photo has a story behind and makes me ask questions. I always want to know more!

March 24th, 2009 at 6:01 pm

15. k&c's mom says:

So this little girl would be in her 70s now. My mother was born in 1936, so was about the same age give or take a few years.
      I can imagine the little girl asking someone to take the picture of her with the cat…Fun shot.

March 24th, 2009 at 9:56 pm

16. Marie says:

I love that photo. Even though it was a dreadful time in history it was also an innocent, uncomplicated time, at least in the US. Before my parents married they were both serving in the Army in WWII, as were all their brothers.
      I was born in 1952 and my childhood was taken up by reading, working hard at home, school, music and church. I tried very hard to give my three sons that also.
      But life is now so much more complicated. Jobs lost, people in huge homes they can’t afford, eating out every night. I don’t know how they do it, but supper every night was served in my home cooked by me for my children and husband. I wish that for everyone.

Hugs,
      Marie

March 25th, 2009 at 9:30 am

17. Tuna cuz says:

You are correct in the ID of the little girl. I am pretty sure you will see her in the old wedding photo of Antique Daddy’s parents. She is very petite.

March 25th, 2009 at 8:19 pm

18. Ann says:

oh my gosh! This could be my daughter! Well, except for the dress…and the glasses…and the hair…and the shoes. But the way that little gal is hugging her kitty is awfully familiar!!

March 26th, 2009 at 9:27 pm