• Chocolate Strawberries

May 6, 2009

I love to cook.  To me, cooking is not just a life skill but a creative outlet and my way of lovin’ on people.  And Sean seems to be cut from the same cloth. He has been standing at my knee in the kitchen since,  well, since he could stand.

I won’t tell you all the things he can already do in the kitchen because I don’t want you to send blazing emails about how he should be wearing a helmet when standing in front of a hot stove with a sharp knife and what kind of mother would let …  But the boy knows his way around the kitchen and that makes me very proud.

Yesterday I picked up some strawberries at the store that were so red and fat and just as tasty as they were pretty.  Sean suggested that we dip them in chocolate and take them to our neighbors.  I love how that boy thinks.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Of course we had to taste a few first. Just to make sure.

Photobucket

Yummy!  And the strawberries were good too.

1. Donna W says:

Well, my dear, I have strawberries planted around here. I’ll be sure and boast about them, if and when they produce.

I love your little boy.

May 6th, 2009 at 11:33 pm

2. Kat says:

I’m finally back from my blog vacation and having fun catching up with everyone. Those strawberries look so darn good. I can not believe how tall Sean looks. It’s always fun to see what you two are up to.

Hugs!
      Kat

May 6th, 2009 at 11:55 pm

3. Pam D says:

OK. So, we have the exact same huge, yummy, ruby-colored strawberries. But, it never crossed my mind to share them with the neighbors, who would probably love them. I feel very guilty now; probably will be doing something with the berries and the neighbors tomorrow… (or today, if this comment posts for the 7th!)

May 7th, 2009 at 12:01 am

4. Ortizzle says:

Are those FOR REAL??? (I’m talking about the EYELASHES… not the strawberries.. (which also look quite delish!)

May 7th, 2009 at 12:13 am

5. mythoughtsonthat says:

Now what kind of mother would let her kid dip strawberries in chocolate and then look so cute eating them?

May 7th, 2009 at 12:57 am

6. HarryJacksMom says:

Those eyelashes and that smile are going to slay a lot of hearts in Texas :wub: I don’t like strawberries (gasp!) but I’d love to have a neighborly visit made by such sweet friends!

May 7th, 2009 at 1:24 am

7. Jenny-Jenny says:

The best conversations with my kids at all ages have been in the kitchen. My favorite so far is while kneading bread.

May 7th, 2009 at 2:12 am

8. JanMary, N Ireland says:

Chocolate, strawberries and a cute son….a perfect combination.

May 7th, 2009 at 2:35 am

9. Pam D says:

Mmmm.. we have a ton of strawberries in our fridge here, too. But did WE think to cover them in chocolate and take them to the neighbors? No. Never even crossed our collective minds. Now I’m gonna feel guilty every time I eat a strawberry. Thank you, A.M. Thankyouverymuch.

May 7th, 2009 at 6:47 am

10. Heidi Saxton says:

We had some chocolate strawberry adventures of our own last weekend, making a First Communion cake for my goddaughter.

Did you know strawberries are yummy frozen?

May 7th, 2009 at 7:27 am

11. edj says:

Won’t you be MY neighbour? I want some of those!

May 7th, 2009 at 9:36 am

12. shayne says:

SUGAR???? YOU’RE LETTING YOUR CHILD CONSUME SUGAR???? (sorry…couldn’t resist :P)

May 7th, 2009 at 9:38 am

13. Nette says:

Yummy! I love strawberries, chocolate or not.
      Sean’s eyes are so dancing and delightful!

May 7th, 2009 at 9:43 am

14. Laurie says:

Priceless …

May 7th, 2009 at 9:44 am

15. Margie says:

Oh, how I wish Ole Blue eyes was my neighbor. He’s awesome.

May 7th, 2009 at 9:46 am

16. Shoe says:

I live in strawberry country! It is wonderful!
      Sean has changed again. Growing. Sorry but he is.

May 7th, 2009 at 9:55 am

17. mannequin says:

Oh how cute he is! And he can cook too!
      Now that’s what I call in an investment in your future.

May 7th, 2009 at 10:29 am

18. Happy Geek says:

My grandma firmly believed that ALL her children should cook. My mom is thankful for this almost every day. Apparently there is nothing sexier than a dude with an apron.

My kids have been standing at my elbow since they could stand. Helmeted of course.

Those strawberries look amazing.

Seriously, Sean has been using a knife since he was barely three. Butter knife and close supervision at first, constant admonishment to be careful and respectful. Now he’s a champ with a paring knife. But it freaks most people out when you hand a 5YO a knife.

May 7th, 2009 at 10:30 am

19. Bill McNutt says:

Most people are idiots. Kids will never learn if they aren’t given the opportunity to cut themselves. I survived. I also have scars, but I survived.

I can’t wait until the Chosen Niece is old enough to cook with. (She’s 15 months)

Bill

May 7th, 2009 at 11:13 am

After those eyelashes and that utterly scrumptious smile, it must have been all you could do not to dip Sean in the chocolate!

May 7th, 2009 at 11:14 am

21. BeckyB says:

Well, we certainly take the blame when our kids do something wrong so now is your time to take a little credit when your darling son does something very right! I’m sure it’s no accident that he thinks of others – great job AM!!

May 7th, 2009 at 11:18 am

22. zoom says:

I learned to cook at my grandmother’s side. AND I learned basic safety instructions in the kitchen as a result. Egads! I was wielding a hand mixer, knives and bacon grease by the time I was 8.

My grandmother also instilled some great life lessons, values and skills during those sessions. Sean is a lucky little boy.

May 7th, 2009 at 11:47 am

23. Pat T says:

Cooking with your children teaches life skills they will need and also fosters conversation. Ross just “cooked up” a dish with milk, brown sugar, corn startch, basil, some homemade pasta sauce (by dad)and circle pasta (pastini). He then actually tasted it and said yum, and had his dad and me try it too for good measure.

He actually tasted it. And. Enjoyed.It. This from a child that for luch or dinner can only choose from peas, chicken nuggets,plain pasta with olive oil (only certain shapes though) or very occasionally spaghetti with marinara sauce and tiny meatballs (once in a blue moon.)

By the way, if you’d like the recipe for his concoction he’d be happy to share:).
      Carry on AM and Sean – some of your best memories will be from that very kitchen!

Sounds like a list of stuff he might find in the mystery basket on an episode of Chopped (my new favorite show).

May 7th, 2009 at 12:22 pm

24. momof8 says:

mmm . . . wish you were my neighbor! What a little sweetheart!

May 7th, 2009 at 12:41 pm

25. Cara says:

Love the little face! Love chocolate strawberries too! Wish I was your neighbor!

May 7th, 2009 at 12:45 pm

26. Sally says:

I really do not enjoy cooking. Will you and Sean whip up something for me??

May 7th, 2009 at 1:34 pm

27. Alison says:

What a great idea to give chocolate-covered strawberries to your neighbors. Sean is a sweet boy, and cute as a button!

My 3 year old son is much more interested in cooking than his older sister, but I involve them both as much as I can. It gets interesting when they jostle each other around the bowl.

May 7th, 2009 at 3:47 pm

28. Faerylandmom says:

I have yet to give my kids a knife, but that’s simply because I’m so used to them being “little” that I forget that they can be taught these things.

Frankly, you’ve just inspired me to get a little braver and make it easier for them to help me.

Sigh…Adventure, here I come.

May 7th, 2009 at 4:05 pm

29. Debbie says:

Thanks for this sweet post about your sweet boy. Big smiles here.

May 7th, 2009 at 4:49 pm

30. Melissa @ Anxious for Nothing says:

That last picture is just too precious!

May 7th, 2009 at 5:00 pm

31. Christine says:

Cooking is my love language too! The 5 yo and I made banana bread last night! I love that she’s expressed such an interest!

May 7th, 2009 at 5:09 pm

32. Ann G says:

Chocolate covered strawberries, YUM!! I wish my little guy would take an interest in doing something in the kitchen besides telling me he needs something!!!

May 7th, 2009 at 6:43 pm

33. Great-Granny Grandma says:

There is an award for you on my blog. Stop by to pick it up. (No strings or rules attached.)

May 7th, 2009 at 8:50 pm

34. Michele says:

My daughter has Sensory Processing Disorder and one of her favorite sensory activities is cooking. She is really getting good at it too. She can crack an egg better than I can. Sometimes while I’m cooking, we’ll play “guess that gadget” and I’ll pull gadgets from the drawer and she has to tell me what they are.
      (Your son is gorgeous, by the way.)

May 7th, 2009 at 10:08 pm

35. Gwen says:

What a dollface. I’d skip the strawberries and just dip Sean and eat him up. 🙂

May 8th, 2009 at 1:05 am

36. Sarah Solomon says:

I love Sean’s face! I was so impressed when I saw your tweet the other morning about making chocolate strawberries. You’re a total domestic goddess who can do desert before the sun rises. 🙂

May 8th, 2009 at 11:34 am

37. Jenn @ Casa de Castro says:

I LOVE that last picture of Sean. Such a precious expression!

May 8th, 2009 at 1:26 pm

38. Lisa Beth W. says:

My favorite posts are ones with your yummy boy in them. 🙂

May 8th, 2009 at 4:36 pm

39. Marmee says:

Sean is just SOOOO cute!

Now I’m craving chocolate covered strawberries for some reason.

May 8th, 2009 at 6:31 pm

40. Ann Kroeker says:

Wow, his future spouse will throw her arms around you and thank you for how you’re pouring into him and preparing him to be an absolutely amazing husband! Tender love, creativity, fun, and all this culinary confidence, as well? Awesome. Too bad my girls are all a bit too old for him…

May 8th, 2009 at 9:09 pm

41. mama speak says:

how come I don’t have neighbors like you??? None of my neighbors has ever brought me chocolate dipped strawberries! WAH!

Dude, I’m totally buying the house next to yours. I’ll be awaiting my housewarming cookies/strawberries/brownies. I’m good as long as it’s chocolate. 😉

May 10th, 2009 at 3:12 am