• ยฉ Antique Mommy 2005-2017
  • This Boy

May 25, 2009

Photobucket

This here is a boy after my own heart.

We love art and words and cooking and taking pictures and telling stories and clouds and collecting leaves and rocks and silliness and hanging out together doing nothing.

And I want to do as much of that as possible with this boy before he grows up and has a change of heart.

1. Steffj89 says:

we have had some of those moments recently…Tanner pronounced dinner *burgers from the grill* totally amazwing and wanted to know if we could have them again.

lots of memories to make this summer.
      steff

May 26th, 2009 at 12:09 am

2. happy geek says:

And maybe, just maybe, he won’t.

Oh he will. If he really is like me, he will. But hopefully there will always be a little corner of his heart that longs to be my buddy. ~AM

May 26th, 2009 at 12:11 am

3. momof8 says:

Love it!

May 26th, 2009 at 12:42 am

4. HarryJacksMom says:

awesome pix and awesome times, to be sure! I keep hoping they won’t have a serious change of heart :wub: Happy Summer!

May 26th, 2009 at 1:06 am

5. Jenny says:

So sweet and endearing. You are a great mom.

May 26th, 2009 at 1:53 am

6. JanMary, N Ireland says:

Love both your reflections in the photo.

Know what you mean – can’t we stop the clock for just a little while, and enjoy the stage a moment longer?

May 26th, 2009 at 2:38 am

7. edj says:

I love the reflection part of that photo especially!

And he won’t necessarily have a change of heart. My kids are 12 and 13 (nearly 14) now, and we still just like hanging out. I realize we have most of the teen years yet to get through, but I have high hopes.

May 26th, 2009 at 6:20 am

I think he’s having too much fun to have a change of heart anytime soon!

May 26th, 2009 at 6:41 am

9. Kay says:

I love this pic! We take pics of each other taking pics too! : ) Love your reflection in the background too…very cool shot.

I don’t think you have anything to worry about with your boy. He’s got a great mom and I think he knows it. : )

May 26th, 2009 at 8:47 am

10. Margaret says:

ours never seemed to be embaressed to be seen with us. they still like to spend time with us and they are 40 and 41.

May 26th, 2009 at 8:54 am

11. everydayMOM says:

You and your boy have a special relationship. My oldest is almost 9 and would you believe he likes me more NOW than he did a few years ago! He says he doesn’t even want to go to camp this summer because it is so much more fun to do things with me. =]

Keep doing what you’re doing!

Love the reflection of you in the pic.

May 26th, 2009 at 9:04 am

12. rrmama says:

I couldn’t agree with you more!

May 26th, 2009 at 9:30 am

13. Laura says:

Both of my teenage boys have a tiny corner of their heart left for me. I know he will always remember the special times you have shared, and will hold you dear to his heart even after getting married or holding his own children for the first time.

May 26th, 2009 at 10:20 am

14. MM says:

I just spent the weekend with my SIL and her two teenaged boys. We mother in similar fashions: love hard, discipline, have fun, and have high expectations. By watching her example, I see myself with my boys in about 14 or so years. Her boys were her life when they were babies and still are, just now as hangin’ buddies. It was fun to watch them crack her up and play tricks on her or tease her. Their behavior and respect towards women in general is a huge testament to her parenting methods.

So think positive…your little one may not grow out of it. He’s only half you. ๐Ÿ˜‰

May 26th, 2009 at 10:21 am

15. Donna @ Way More Homemade says:

I love how I can see you in the reflection of the glass. Too cute.

And I think once you find that common ground / bond, it will be there forever. Sarah and I share such a love for music and I think that will always be there. I can totally picture you both telling stories to your grandkids one day, and he’ll remember doing that with you.

May 26th, 2009 at 10:54 am

16. mannequin says:

Isn’t it wonderful when your own personality meshes so fluidly with your child’s?

I have two sons and one is the complete opposite of me, the other a perfect or not so blend of both dad and myself. He’s a blast to just hang out with!

May 26th, 2009 at 11:13 am

17. Shoe says:

They grow up but you still want the same thing. And if you are lucky enough you want it for your daughter (his bride) and she wants it for you. That’s LUCKY!

May 26th, 2009 at 11:19 am

18. Bill McNutt says:

One of the reasons men fear raising daughters. In the bottom of our hearts, where we keep our darkest fears, we know that one day, very soon, she’s going to fall in love with another man, and leave us forever.

Will

May 26th, 2009 at 11:20 am

19. mrsfuddieduddie says:

Hang on as tight as you can to those special momemts because you turn around and they’re all grown up and too busy. I’m lucky enough to have grandkids and great grandkids to enjoy now. ๐Ÿ˜‰

May 26th, 2009 at 11:27 am

20. Melissa says:

I feel the same way about my little sunshine. I dread the day that he no longer wants to me to be his best friend. He wants me to do everything with him – I want to accommodate that wish as long as possible. Hope you have a great summer loving that precious boy to bits !

May 26th, 2009 at 11:49 am

21. jean says:

Like most kids, he’ll go away for a short time and return to you. It will never be the same but it will be good. It’s how you will know that you’ve done your job well.

May 26th, 2009 at 12:31 pm

22. Jenny 8675309 says:

That is great! Me? I would’ve spent an hour trying to set that kind of picture up.

“Ok, honey. Stand right there. I’ll lean this way. I know your arms are getting tired…just few more minutes…”

May 26th, 2009 at 12:43 pm

23. Tater Mama says:

You have the best posts.

May 26th, 2009 at 1:25 pm

24. Janet says:

And he will….

May 26th, 2009 at 1:45 pm

25. melissa fernandez says:

AM…He won’t…from what I’ve read you have always let youe little one know exactly what priority he is in your life….and they don’t forget. As you know, I have my own special boy…my baby (who is now 18) and he still treats me like a buddy, a confidant, and a mommy…and I love it.

May 26th, 2009 at 2:31 pm

26. Angela says:

Loved this!

May 26th, 2009 at 7:19 pm

27. Meg @ Spicy Magnolia says:

This made my heart glad to read this and dream about the things that me and my baby boy will love doing together one day.

May 26th, 2009 at 8:05 pm

28. Colleen says:

I recommend you to every parent I know. Your words touch my heart with every post. Thank you. And, don’t worry. Your son will always have room in his heart for you and the memories you’d made.

May 26th, 2009 at 8:07 pm

29. Ann G says:

Amen!! These days are slipping away a little bit at a time….hang on to them as long as possible!

May 26th, 2009 at 8:11 pm

30. mythoughtsonthat says:

If you continue to spend time with him, he will not forget it, even when he is older. From many years spent with children and nearly nine with my own boy, I have learned this: All kids really want is for people to spend time with them. You will reap the benefits. Peace.

May 26th, 2009 at 8:57 pm

31. Tom says:

I would not at all be surprised if, when he has grown, he writes about all of his memories with his incredible mom, and has attached to it the photo he took here.

May 26th, 2009 at 10:25 pm

32. Sue says:

Lovely post, as usual. I recommend your blog also. I am crying right now because my boy is older now, and his corner of his heart for me is there, I know, because we had a wonderful foundation. I know it is still there but often not obvious.

It was too easy to let Dad do guy things with him and Mom do girl things with our daughter as they were growing up. I regret that now, so if you have one of each and are reading this comment, do not get into that habit! Fight for your right to do things alone with your son, too.

May 26th, 2009 at 11:43 pm

33. PastormacsAnn says:

What a fantastic moment you’ve captured here AM! How wonderful that there you are in the photo with your camera too!

I believe that it is truly possible that he will grow up and never have a change of heart.

May 27th, 2009 at 1:29 am

34. Tara says:

Great photo!

May 27th, 2009 at 8:08 am

35. Kathy says:

This mom – gets it.

Sad to say that my own launched children have their share of confused peers who’s moms (and dads) can’t quite let them go. I have a few friends of my own (moms) who still require (secretly) for their sons to fill the relationship hole – and the young men can’t seem to make relationships with women. If it were just one person, I would think it was randomly misplaced. But right now, this seems like an epidemic with this generation of young adults.

I think you are brilliant, AM. This boy – is blessed.

May 27th, 2009 at 8:56 am

36. carol b says:

hmmm, just like me n my girl. sigh.

May 27th, 2009 at 1:59 pm

37. Shannon says:

That made ME sigh. Seriously. And as I was doing it I caught the label at the end of the post. Then I laughed.

May 28th, 2009 at 3:01 pm

38. Faerylandmom says:

What a neat shot! It must be nice to have so much in common with your little boyfriend. ๐Ÿ˜‰

May 28th, 2009 at 3:54 pm