• Pluto Is On The Outs

May 29, 2009

Before Sean could even talk, he became interested in the solar system. I have an old book on the solar system that I picked up at a garage sale or somewhere and we have leafed through it many times over.

A week or so ago, he came home from school with a Weekly Reader and he was very excited to show it to me because it was on the solar system.  He held it up to his chest and pointed to each planet and gave me a little lecture on the properties of each planet.  Verily I say to ye, I have learned more from this child than I ever learned in school. He makes learning way more fun than Sister Edwina ever did.

“Now you may notice that one of the planets is missing,” he said in his teacher voice.

“Oh really?” I asked.

“Yes.  Pluto is no longer a planet,” he stated as matter of fact.

“Oh. I wonder why that is. Pluto was a planet when I was growing up.”

“I don’t know,” he said, “But Pluto is on the outs.”

Maybe by the time Sean’s kid is teaching him about the planets, Pluto will be back in the good graces of the solar system.

1. Lori says:

Love his comment, but must admit I miss Pluto. What was the harm in letting it remain a planet anyway. It’s just and itty bitty. 🙂

I know. I think the bigger planets didn’t want Pluto hanging around with them.

May 29th, 2009 at 10:18 am

2. Tom says:

Poor Pluto. It was too much of a rebel to fit in with the clique.

Neat that Sean is learning so much! Based upon his Lego creations I’d say he’s headed down the creative path, which I think is quite cool.

May 29th, 2009 at 10:47 am

3. Christina says:

It’s funny you should mention this, I just joined a facebook group entitled “When I was your age, Pluto was a planet.”
      Cute post. If he tells you why Pluto is “on the outs” let the rest of us know, will you? =)

May 29th, 2009 at 11:29 am

4. Jenny says:

I love it when our kids “teach” us! They do make learning seem more fun!

May 29th, 2009 at 12:23 pm

5. Janis says:

My 12 year old daughter is always asking me “didn’t they teach you THAT when you were in school?” She doesn’t realize THAT wasn’t discovered yet or wasn’t even thought of when I was a child.

May 29th, 2009 at 12:50 pm

I love this story. . .am imagining Sean’s “teacher voice.”

I got to sneak away from my own Jr. High classroom today to be “mystery reader” in Thad’s 1st grade class. Even though I gave GREAT HINTS like the fact that my favorite color is pink AND I have a Webkinz account, he still wasn’t sure it was me ’cause Mrs. P. Johson accidentally read “I was not born in Texas.” as “I was born in Texas.” He was very excited when I got there.

At our house, no one is very happy that Pluto is on the outs. As a matter of fact, we bought several solar system items BEFORE Pluto was officially taken off the roll just so we’d have them.

May 29th, 2009 at 12:58 pm

7. Bee says:

I feel bad for poor little Pluto. He can come live in my sky and I’ll treat him like a planet any way.

Maybe Sean will be the one to dsicover that yes, Pluto is a planet after all.

May 29th, 2009 at 1:23 pm

8. Fraulein says:

Good God, he sounds like he’s 12. Smart kid! Maybe there’s a college scholarship in his future!

May 29th, 2009 at 1:30 pm

9. Laurie says:

Oh my heck, I love it!!

From the song, “7 Ate 9” by Barenaked Ladies:

“Once upon a time in our solar system, we couldn’t make do without nine.
      But Pluto’s not a planet now, so 8’ll do fine.”

May 29th, 2009 at 2:17 pm

10. MM says:

I must have been living under a rock all this time. I had no idea that Pluto was no longer considered a planet! See what happens when you try to grasp concepts like blog, Facebook, and Twitter all at once? Brain cells start dying off…

May 29th, 2009 at 2:54 pm

11. Iota says:

Maybe they’ll discover a few more, so it won’t matter about Pluto (although that doesn’t make it any better for Plute, I appreciate that).

May 29th, 2009 at 3:12 pm

12. mannequin says:

I felt so sorry for Pluto, I will always hold him in my heart as a planet.

I know. I think they make up all the new “discoveries” just to make it seem as though we’re progressing.

Pluto was good enough then and he’s good enough now.

May 29th, 2009 at 4:47 pm

13. Shoe says:

Yes, Pluto got a raw deal for being small. Weekly Readers! Wow! Great! We (son and I) got every book on it we could. He loved being read to. We read Good Houskeeping Christmas cookies and houses also (by the pictures). Son turned out to be dexlisya (mirror image reversal to be exact). He struggled with on and no and once read pihs which is really ship. He has a job where he has to write the facts bear bone and man are they bear boned! Very percise no fat. Yeah I’m a proud momma.

May 29th, 2009 at 4:53 pm

14. Judith says:

“He makes learning way more fun than Sister Edwina ever did.”

I love this line!

May 29th, 2009 at 4:56 pm

15. chickadee@afamiliarpath says:

He’s a smart one.

* * * *
      You know Chickadee, I think he might be a smidge smarter than the average bear, but he’s not a genius by any means. He benefits from having a good memory, a curious nature and two older parents who love to read to him and talk to him. We think you can’t overestimate what kids are capable of learning.

May 29th, 2009 at 5:10 pm

16. Lexi says:

Pluto not being a planet means my entire childhood was a lie.

Also, those cute little sentences we made up to remember the order of the planets (“My very educated mother just served us ninety pizzas”) will no longer work!

May 29th, 2009 at 5:22 pm

17. Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com says:

I remember when that happened! I was all “can you just delete a planet?”

Poor left out Pluto.

May 29th, 2009 at 7:27 pm

18. Shannon says:

Pluto IS a planet! It IS!!! (foot stamping)

I’m in that fb group, too. These so-called scientists just need more real stuff to do. Leave our Pluto alone!!

My son also loves the solar system books, and he always refers to newer books from school as “those books without that planet YOU like, Mommy. You know: Pluto”

AHHH!

What are they teaching them in school?

(OK sorry, but I DO get a little het up about poor Pluto. It’s not just a Disney character, ya know?)

May 29th, 2009 at 9:58 pm

19. Fiddledeedee says:

Fickle fickle solar system.

May 29th, 2009 at 10:20 pm

20. Stretch Mark Mama says:

I have had multiple “arguments” with my son over this very topic. I’m hoping the library has finally pulled all the books that reference the nine planets. But no doubt my son will find some obscure reference to Pluto being a planet and we’ll get out the boxing gloves again. “It’s not a planet, yes it is, no it’s not, yes it is, no it’s not.” See, just like a couple of school kids.

May 30th, 2009 at 12:01 am

21. Gretchen says:

My six-year-old, Jude, came home from kindergarten a few months ago very much upset and informed me that he had learned a very tragic and sad thing that day. When I asked him what this terrible news was, he told me that “they” had made poor Pluto a “dwarf planet” which he uttered as if he were telling me Pluto was now a “homeless orphan”. “But Mama”, he added,”My class is starting a ‘petikan’ (I’m thinking he meant petition) to get him back!” Wish them luck!

May 30th, 2009 at 12:44 am

22. k&c's mom says:

My kids told me they had a Facebook group called “I remember when Pluto was a planet” and it had a huge number of members (all in their late teens and so ancient). This change in planetarial order really messed up the songs I used to help my first graders learn the planets. And WEEKLY READERS! My soul, I”m so glad to hear they are still around. My district changed to “Time for Kids”. Maybe I should start a Facebook group: “I remember Weekly Readers.”And Pluto.

May 30th, 2009 at 7:25 am

23. Christina says:

If anyone’s interested, here’s an article on why Pluto is “on the outs.” There aren’t even any big words in it!

That is a great article — even I understood it! Thanks Christina! Nonetheless, I think most of us don’t want anyone messing with our planets or our Christmas carols.

May 30th, 2009 at 10:40 am

24. happy geek says:

I’m certain it would be hard to even try to be pleasant with a name like Edwina, let alone make learning fun!
      Good thing your charmer makes up for it now.

May 30th, 2009 at 4:52 pm

25. Kacey says:

Of course Pluto is not a planet! Everyone knows he is Mickey Mouse’s dog!
      Disney hasn’t done away with him, yet, have they?

May 30th, 2009 at 8:43 pm

26. Laurel Kornfeld says:

Pluto is still a planet. Only four percent of the IAU voted on the controversial demotion, and most are not planetary scientists. Their decision was immediately opposed by hundreds of professional astronomers led by Dr. Alan Stern, Principal Investigator of NASA’s New Horizons mission to Pluto. One reason the IAU definition makes no sense is it says dwarf planets are not planets at all! That is like saying a grizzly bear is not a bear, and it is inconsistent with the use of the term “dwarf” in astronomy, where dwarf stars are still stars, and dwarf galaxies are still galaxies. Also, the IAU definition classifies objects solely by where they are while ignoring what they are. If Earth were in Pluto’s orbit, according to the IAU definition, it would not be a planet either. A definition that takes the same object and makes it a planet in one location and not a planet in another is essentially useless. That is why many astronomers, lay people, and educators are either ignoring the demotion entirely or working to get it overturned.

May 31st, 2009 at 12:33 am

Wait’ll he finds out about brontosauruses!

May 31st, 2009 at 7:05 am

28. rachel-asouthernfairytale says:

“pluto is on the outs” that is priceless

May 31st, 2009 at 5:26 pm

29. deb says:

Planet or otherwise, I think Pluto is a girl & should be referred to as “she”.

May 31st, 2009 at 9:06 pm

30. everydayMOM says:

It’s so true that kids can learn an incredible amount of information when we take the time to read to them and expose them to info that maybe we didn’t learn at such an early age. My second grader has been learning about Greece and Rome this year, including all the mythology. It’s amazing to hear him give facts about various Greek gods and their powers. He’s actually been my secret weapon in Trivial Pursuit a few times!

June 1st, 2009 at 6:01 am

31. HarryJacksMom says:

Thank you, and Sean, for making me laugh. He’d make an awfully wonderful friend for my two! Are you all prepping for Kindergarten land? So glad to hear Laurel’s explanation because now I feel better about ignoring the ousting 😉 All our mobiles also include Pluto because 9 planet solar system is about the only odd-numbered thing I really like! Happy week.

June 1st, 2009 at 7:06 am

32. Good Reading This Week « Too Full Of Hands says:

[…] Pluto Is On The Outs – Antique Mommy Possibly related posts: (automatically generated)Good Stuff I Read This Week…Good Reading This WeekAnother series of exam – Done!Bits & Bobs […]

June 5th, 2009 at 12:42 pm

33. Great-Granny Grandma says:

I did not know Pluto is no longer considered a planet. What has it been demoted to?

June 21st, 2009 at 7:27 pm