• And Dingo Was His Name-Oh

June 30, 2009

There was a farmer, had a dog, and Buddy was his name-oh!

Then one day a new family moved in up the road. Buddy paid the new family a visit to welcome them to the area, as is the custom in East Texas.  Buddy liked the new family. In fact, Buddy like the new family a whole lot. Buddy spent the night and the next day. And the next day.

The new family did not know Buddy’s name and so they called him “That Dingo Dog”  because, in fact, Buddy looked like a Dingo.  Dingo fell in love with the children and the children fell in love with Dingo.

Every couple of days, the new family would load Buddy into the car and take him back to his owner.  But the next day, or sometimes later the same day, Buddy would be back hanging around, trying to blend in.

One day, Buddy’s owner came and got him. They were moving to a new farm, 10 or 15 miles up the road.  Buddy jumped into the truck and the children cried and waved goodbye to Dingo Buddy as they drove away knowing that they would never seem him again.

But. The next morning Buddy-Dingo was sitting by the back door.   A call was made to Buddy’s family and they came and got him.  Once again, the children cried and waved goodbye to Dingo Buddy.

The next morning, when the sun came up, Dingo was laying by the back door, thumping his tail and waiting for the children to come out and play.

And that was the end of Buddy.  Buddy’s family never came after him again and no effort was made to return him.

Buddy became Dingo and is now living happily ever after in the East Texas country side with three children who adore him.

They say you can’t choose your family. Unless you are one lucky dog, then you can.

Photobucket
    And Dingo was his name oh!

1. Lisa says:

Buddy/Dingo looks just like my sister’s dog Lucy.

June 30th, 2009 at 1:01 pm

2. momof8 says:

My brother’s dog does that! He will disappear for a few days to one of the neighbor’s houses then come back home for a day or two, then he is off to a different neighbor. I guess he is a ramblin’ type dog. That is funny! Hope the new family wanted a dog!

June 30th, 2009 at 1:34 pm

3. Kai says:

I don’t know how I would feel if my dog defected!

I know how I would feel. I would feel terrible. I think his original owners kept him tied up and Buddy-Dingo didn’t much care for that and took off whenever he could. His new people don’t keep him tied up and he never runs off. He lives to be wherever those kids are.

June 30th, 2009 at 1:39 pm

4. Heide says:

Awwwww.

June 30th, 2009 at 2:03 pm

5. Amy says:

I love it!

June 30th, 2009 at 2:59 pm

6. Dandy says:

I want a Dingo!

I bet the kids are so happy.

June 30th, 2009 at 3:24 pm

7. Great-Granny Grandma says:

Great post, but I think I would feel devastated if my dog defected.

June 30th, 2009 at 8:31 pm

8. shelly says:

we got a flier from the neighborhood behind us saying they had lost their cat…it was our cat that had been gone for about 2 months..he apparently preferred the no dog family…i called to say i did not have their cat but they had ours, once they found him…he had come back to them, and now the children visit him every once in a while…sometimes, you have to let the animals find their own happiness

June 30th, 2009 at 9:38 pm

9. Janis says:

This reminds me of a cat that my neighbor fed everyday on her front porch. She assumed that it was feral, because it would not let her close enough to pick it up. One day she trapped it and took it to the vet and had it neutered. It turns out that the cat belonged to someone up the street. After that experience the free meals were not worth the price and it never came back.

Ha! That is funny! Except probably not to the cat. ~AM

June 30th, 2009 at 11:38 pm

10. Jim says:

This reminds me of a story called the “Stralie cat”. My Mom and her six siblins had this cat that hung around their house when they were growing up, but it actually belonged to the neighbors. It would not go home, and it would not leave their house.
      Their oldest brother “Tot” decided he would take it for a ride, and hauled it off about ten miles to a remote area. Several days later, much to the amazement of the entire family, this cat had found it’s way back to what it called home.
      I heard several stories about that “Stralie cat” as I was growing up. This can be verified by two of the siblins…we will just call “Sneltie” or sometimes known as “Owl Eyes”;and her sister we will just call Imogene.
      Perhaps if you search the archieves, you may find that you have written about a few of these people in the past.
      Maybe that is why to this day that “Sneltie” has been known to house and feed cats which live underneath her place of business in downtown Tuna.

July 1st, 2009 at 12:36 am

11. mrhc says:

Growing up, there was a dog my parents called the town bum. He would make the rounds to everyone who would feed him. That is, until the day we were packing up to move to the next town. He jumped in the cab of dad’s pickup and snapped and growled when dad tried to pull him out. This dog had a good friendship with my youngest brother so dad decided to let it go and let the dog come with us. The dog was never again the town bum. He stayed with us from then on. We moved to the next town the year I started 6th grade. I buried that dog the week before I got married. Mom didn’t want my little brother to know the dog had died until after school because bro had a test that day.

The town bum was a great dog and he is still missed 28 years later.

July 1st, 2009 at 12:40 am

Awww. Love the original post and the stories in the comments. Though I would be another devastated-if-my-pet-defected person!

July 1st, 2009 at 7:56 am

13. Margie says:

We had an outside cat that slept inside at night. I think it had a day time home too because sometimes he would come home smelling like baby powder and we never put any on him. 🙂

July 1st, 2009 at 8:25 am

14. Jenni D. says:

“…trying to blend in.” Perfect. I love it!

July 1st, 2009 at 8:41 am

15. Cindy says:

Way To Go. Exactly the same thing happened to us. We have had our dog five years now. He kept coming back to us. The family finally said they do not “really” want him. As with people, animal know true love.
      Remember DOG spelled backwards is GOD.
      BLESSINGS FOR YOU DOING FOR THE LEAST OF THOSE.

July 1st, 2009 at 9:38 am

16. debbie says:

My sister Franny sent me a link to your Dingo blog post this morning, and I have been reading your blog for, well lets just say a while. I have passed it on to my other sister, who lives in NE TX. Thank you for writing, sharing, and giving all of us a glimpse of God’s love in action here on earth.
      blessings,
      debbie

July 1st, 2009 at 10:30 am

17. Sally says:

That is how we got our cat. He supposedly belonged to the family next door, but they didn’t pay much attention to him and so he spent more time on our front porch ever since the day we moved in. When he was severely injured in a fight and his wounds became infected, because his owners were not doing anything to take care of him, he came to our front porch once again, this time very, very ill with a high fever from the infection. We took him to the vet and spent $300 to get him well, and he officially became our cat from that day on. His owners never asked about him, even though they knew we had taken him in. He has been with us, and a part of our family, for 9 years now, and he is strictly an indoor cat now so he will never get hurt like that again.

July 1st, 2009 at 10:31 am

18. Quinn says:

He looks like an Australian Cattle Dog, which means he’s smart enough to do your taxes for you; he knew exactly what he was doing. Probably drove himself back to the proper house, stick-shift and everything.

July 1st, 2009 at 10:37 am

19. patois says:

I like this story. Of course, I assume I’m on the receiving end of Dingo and not the losing end. (And why is it that when I write “losing end” I think of the backside of a dog?)

July 1st, 2009 at 10:42 am

20. Fraulein says:

That is so amazing. I love these stories about animals that somehow travel back to their old homes many miles away, or warn their owners of impending earthquakes or heart attacks, etc. It is truly astounding what animals are capable of.

I always think of the writer Anne Lamott’s description of her dog as “Jesus in a little fur suit” and that’s truly how I felt about my (now departed) cat. When I was suffering from bouts of depression, he would spend extra time sitting by me, looking deep into my eyes. If he had opened up his mouth and started speaking English, I wouldn’t have been terribly surprised.

So is this your dog, or does it belong to someone you know?

Dingo is not our dog, but belongs to our good friends who have a farm. A couple of years ago their son went to buy an engine that he was putting in another car. The man told him he could have the engine for free if he would take the dog. So that’s how they got this albino dog named Daisy. So lovely, with blue eyes and a sweet temper. I should post a picture. When you live out in the country, you never have to buy a dog.

July 1st, 2009 at 12:49 pm

21. Jennifer says:

What a sweet story!

July 1st, 2009 at 12:58 pm

22. Joni says:

Good luck with your New dog! Dogs teach children how to turn around 3 times before laying down!

Our ginger is a baby and my granddaughter is a puppy and then there is Taffy who is really blonde in the brain.

July 1st, 2009 at 4:55 pm

23. Terry says:

Howdy
      What a wonderful blessing for Buddy the Dingo Dog 🙂
      It must be nice to just hold your ground and keep the eye on the prize like Dingo and win !
      WOW this was such an awesome post today.
      Thank you so much for sharing.
      Happy 4th of July week to you.
      Happy Trails

July 1st, 2009 at 4:57 pm

24. Allison says:

When a Blue Heeler/Australian Cattle Dog makes up his/her mind, well, his/her mind is made up! They are smart AND stubborn.

July 1st, 2009 at 9:24 pm

25. Amy Sue Nathan says:

Your story is priceless and the comments, too. But if this was a contest I’d say that Quinn should win, hands down. I laughed out loud.

I have three dogs – two rescued – so all of these stories touched my heart!

Quinn is hysterically funny. She has a book coming out later this year which you should rush out and buy as soon as it hits the shelves. I say this with authority as I have had a sneak peek. ~AM

July 1st, 2009 at 9:31 pm

26. Ashleigh (Heart and Home) says:

So sweet–we once had a dog who was a holy terror and only lived with us because she “came with the house” we bought. When she finally went to live with her new owners, she travelled miles and miles, several times, and would dig her way back into our yard, much to the emotional disturbance of the five year old in our home–the only one who had loved this dog. Dogs know who “their people” are, and nothing we have to say about it matters!

July 1st, 2009 at 9:37 pm

27. meg says:

I hope that is a true story…b/c I love it!

July 2nd, 2009 at 4:10 pm

28. Kathryn says:

That was the greatest story! I laughed so hard. My mom referred me to your blog, and I’m following you on Twitter. You are a great writer!

Kathryn

July 2nd, 2009 at 4:26 pm

29. Shawna says:

So freaking cute – but Dingo? That dog looks nothing like a dingo. Dingoes are tan – with white and sometimes a little orangy hint. He looks more like a hyena – but I guess that would make a terrible nursery rhyme/blog post 😉

July 2nd, 2009 at 5:08 pm

30. Maggie May says:

that is an awesome way to find a doggie

July 2nd, 2009 at 10:51 pm

31. Jenny-Jenny says:

I think it’s good dog’s don’t talk. We’d be overwhelmed by their knowledge and intuition. Just like a parent training a child… first they’ll return me, I’ll give it a day and go back, then they’ll call and come get me, I’ll go back that night, etc. etc. Great Story!

July 3rd, 2009 at 12:57 am

32. Mary @ Parenthood says:

I always like a story with a happy ending (from the perspective of the kids anyway!). Janis’s story about the neutered cat? Pure comedy.

July 3rd, 2009 at 10:57 am

33. Thea says:

Awh!!!! What a cutie. We had the same thing happen, one of our neighbors had a boxer, a really sweet dog. Something happened when her owner neutered her too soon, and she wasn’t able to always hold it. The owner got tired of it, and always kept her outside. Many times we had to return her because we would find her in the street. The children from across the street started to love on her, and she would escape her gate everyday and walk over to stay with them. Eventually the mother of the children talked the owner into letting them keep her. Turns out she had horrible heart worms, and never even got heart worm medicine! They saved her, and took her in. It breaks my heart to think of all the dogs in a loveless home that cannot get away, but so happy for Dingo!

July 8th, 2009 at 12:11 am

34. Kimmie says:

What a beautiful story and a love filled dog. I am sure you all will live happily ever after too.

Kimmie
      mama to 7
      one homemade and 6 adopted

July 15th, 2009 at 8:00 pm

35. Susan says:

I did not know his “first” family had moved. Funny, but you know – that new family has that effect on people too.

July 16th, 2009 at 1:29 pm