• © Antique Mommy 2005-2013
  • Anyone Can Make It Cobbler

July 25, 2009

A few weeks ago, we went berry picking with some friends. Between three families, we picked 31 pounds of blueberries and blackberries.  Consequently, I have been making a lot of cobbler lately.  I’ve discovered that people are lot happier to see you at their door when you’ve got a fresh baked blueberry cobbler in hand.

Cobbler is fine with canned fruit, but nothing compares to a cobbler made of fresh picked fruit.  Here’s my recipe – and anyone can make it.

Filling

1 quart sized bag of frozen (or fresh) berries

½ cup of sugar

3-4 tablespoons of grape juice (cranberry juice or whatever you have on hand is fine)

2-3 tablespoons of flour

¼ stick of butter, sliced (margarine doesn’t work as well)

Mix all of the above and then pop into the oven in an 8×8 glass baking dish. Bake at 350 until slightly bubbly, probably about 20 minutes.

Crust

In the meantime, mix:

1 cup of buttermilk baking mix (I like Pioneer)

½ cup of sugar

½ stick of butter, diced (don’t use margarine, not as good)

¼ cup of Half and Half  (regular milk is fine)

1 teaspoon of vanilla

Mix all the above. The mixture will be sort of sticky. Put it in the freezer to set up until you take the fruit mixture out of the oven. Let the hot fruit mixture cool for a minute or two and then pull off pieces of the dough and piece together over the fruit.  If you are really industrious, you can roll it out, but I don’t.

When the fruit is more or less covered, sprinkle with a bit of sugar and pop back into the oven until it’s brown, probably about 25 or 30 minutes.

Serve warm with Blue Bell ice cream!

Photobucket

Start with about a quart or more of frozen or fresh berries.

Photobucket

Toss with sugar, butter, flour and a little fruit juice, then toss in the oven till bubbly.

Photobucket

For the crust, mix up a little buttermilk baking mix, sugar, butter, milk and vanilla. Put in the freezer to firm up while fruit is baking.

Photobucket

When the fruit is hot, pull the dough out of the freezer and piece together over the top. At this point it will look ugly.  If you don’t eat too much of the dough, you will be able to cover the entire cobbler. Not too worry though, it expands and puffs together.

Photobucket

Here’s the finished product. Sprinkle a little sugar on top for pretty.

Photobucket

Serve with or without ice cream.

And now I salute food photographers everywhere who know how to photograph food in such a way that you might actually like to eat it.

1. Liz says:

Yum!

July 25th, 2009 at 3:12 pm

2. Sir Nottaguy-Imadad says:

Looks yummy. I was hoping the pictures were scratch & sniff. I’m tempted to lick the monitor. I love cobbler.

July 25th, 2009 at 3:14 pm

3. Kathy says:

Sounds yummy, AM…and looks yummy too! I licked the monitor and it just wasn’t the same.

July 25th, 2009 at 3:19 pm

I didn’t know there were so many screen lickers among my readers. :-0

July 25th, 2009 at 3:20 pm

5. melissa says:

Oh, how I miss Blue Bell! It is a hole in CA ice cream market, and nothing quite compares.

This cobbler looks great! We might have to make some ice cream to do it justice! :)

Some of that plum ice cream that you blogged about would be awesome!

July 25th, 2009 at 3:35 pm

6. k&c's mom says:

I think there was a mistake in your recipe. It involved “with or without” ice cream. “WIthout” is not an option! Going to Maine next week and hopping to make this with fresh blueberries.

July 25th, 2009 at 4:49 pm

7. Nan says:

MY monitor isn’t even scratch ‘n’ sniff! *sulks* BUT! we get to England in three weeks and MAN I’m going to pig out on berries!!!

July 25th, 2009 at 4:51 pm

8. Alison says:

Wow, that looks delicious. I wish we could pick our own fruit–but I don’t know of anywhere here in Fort Worth. Maybe I should get up early enough to go to the farmer’s market next week. But I will definitely make this cobbler soon.

July 25th, 2009 at 5:16 pm

9. Tom says:

We have Marionberries in season here (they’re an Oregon thing – blackberry/raspberry/something hybrid) and this will make a reeeeeally good cobbler for them. Thanks! Will let you know how much weight we gain!

July 25th, 2009 at 6:11 pm

10. Lisa says:

Wow, what perfect timing! We just went peach picking today (we live in Georgia). I was planning on looking up a recipe for peach cobbler after dinner.

July 25th, 2009 at 6:23 pm

11. Julie at Elisharose says:

Does Sean call it “cobber”?

Doh! 48 hours later I see what you mean – I have (had) a typo. Subtlety doesn’t work that well on me. Capital letters, bold and underline, italics and then add flashing lights for emphasis :-)

July 25th, 2009 at 7:04 pm

12. melissa says:

Thought I’d post here in case anyone would like to know (and in hopes that Alison, with her fruit-picking heart, might see):

You can search PickYourOwn[dot]org for farms near you. Happy picking!

July 25th, 2009 at 8:50 pm

13. france59 says:

I love cobbler and that looks yummy!! My American grandmother used to make the best peach cobbler and blackberry cobbler. She had blackberry vines in her back yard and they were mouthwatering. (Heavy sigh)
      I now have her recipe (which is oh, so easy). Strangely, it is made with very, very cheap refrigerated biscuits! MMmmmmm. Now I have to go make some cobbler. Thanks for the memory rush and the inspiration.

July 25th, 2009 at 10:10 pm

14. Amy says:

I would love for you to show up at my door with one of those! I’m going blueberry picking this week. I will probably gain 10 pounds over the next few weeks consuming cobbler and pie. Mmmmm.

July 25th, 2009 at 10:51 pm

15. J says:

Wish you lived closer!

July 25th, 2009 at 11:14 pm

16. Sue says:

Title typo is why someone asked if Sean calls it cobber– or maybe he does. Looks absolutely delicious!! Did you go someplace where they raise them to pick, or how in the world did you find that many in the wild? I don’t know if blueberries grow in the wild in Texas. Blackberries do here in IL– you would know that since I think you lived in IL before you became a Texan.

Cobb-L-er! Typo! Ugh. Thanks for pointing it out as did a previous commenter, and I thought, how odd, why no he doesn’t. And then my little blonde mind went to another random thought.

We went to a berry picking farm in East Texas to get our berries.

We used to have wild blackberries that grew along the fence in between our house and the neighbors in the midwest. There was never enough berries for a pie because all the kids would eat them.

July 26th, 2009 at 12:53 am

17. edj says:

I would be ECSTATIC if you showed up my door with one of those! But you’re wrong that anyone can make one–you mean anyone in America ;) Can’t get that buttermilk mix overseas. And I miss berries. But maybe I will have to make a peach cobbler instead; peaches are fresh, local and cheap, even if not pick-yourself. In Mauritania I used to make a mango cobbler that was just to die for.

July 26th, 2009 at 7:09 am

18. Roses ArePink2 says:

Now for a faster, even easier, but delicious cobbler: place berries in pyrex dish. Then mix together 1 stick butter, 1 cup flour and 1 cup milk and pour over berries. Bake and enjoy. Never fail goodness!

July 26th, 2009 at 1:28 pm

19. Sherri K. Edman says:

That does look good.

Actually, you know, you can’t roll out the crust. Well, you could, but then it would be pie. Pie has a pie crust. Cobbler has a cobbled crust. Hence the name. Yes, I did tweet about that the other day. I will continue my crust-related PSAs until the world knows. :)

July 26th, 2009 at 1:31 pm

20. Shelly W. says:

I cannot even begin to tell you how jealous I am about your 31 pounds of blueberries. I took my girls blueberry picking last Tuesday and after driving for 2 hours (getting caught in a major traffic jam for 45 minutes) we got to the place to find it was CLOSED. Such a tragedy for this blueberry lover. (I blogged about it last week if you want to check it out. ;) )

Five more days till I get to meet you, AM!!!

July 26th, 2009 at 2:12 pm

21. Amy Sue Nathan says:

Now, how do I get you here standing at my front door with one of those cobblers??

The ice cream is ready!!

July 26th, 2009 at 3:10 pm

22. Jackie @ Family Daze says:

You must be a food photographer, then. Yum!

July 26th, 2009 at 4:47 pm

23. Jenny says:

Sounds to-die-for! Maybe I’ll make it someday. :)

July 26th, 2009 at 7:39 pm

24. Sue says:

When I got home this evening, my husband had picked about 1/3 gal of blackberries from a nearby patch!– Just in time to try out your recipe! This has never happened before, and the timing is just right!

July 27th, 2009 at 12:53 am

25. What I’m Making v3 « Thoughts from a Wanderer says:

[…] Antique Mommy’s Cobbler and Monkey Bread or what I call Monkey Bread, but the recipe calls it holiday bread and cold brewed […]

July 31st, 2009 at 5:20 pm

26. Janmary, N Ireland says:

Me, me, me, I want to eat it!

Looks delicious. Thanks for pausing to take the photos during the making of this delicious-ness :)

August 1st, 2009 at 2:47 am

27. Lori says:

I recently tried a new recipe for a cobbler which was fantastic. However, I took a picture to upload to Facebook via my phone (yeah,not very good quality there). Someone commented on my cobbler saying it looked like uncooked chicken. Oh well. It really was tasty, but I don’t think I have a career as a food stylist.

August 1st, 2009 at 10:28 am