I did not have a lot of toys growing up. I know. Break out the tiny violin.
I had a hand me down Chatty Cathy. I had some of the lesser Barbies – Midge? The redhead with the questionable reputation whom no one talked about. Nothing was proven, mostly rumors. I did have a Chrissy doll that I loved. I had a Lite Brite that I loved. My brother had the Spirograph which I coveted. But among the three of us kids, we didn’t have a lot.
Sean on the other hand.
Like most families in America, our toy box runneth over.
And here is the great irony. Sean plays with about 1% of the toys he owns. However, he would wail and fuss were I to relocate the other 99% toys.
The toys that Sean loves most are ones that we have picked up at garage sales or were passed down to us. They are the least complicated, least expensive, require no batteries and have held his interest from ages 2-6 and I expect, into a few more years. And they are toys that his mommy and daddy love to play with too.
1) Tinker Toys
3) Wooden Blocks
4) Plastic toy tools
5) Plastic animals
6) Matchbox cars
Now there is another category of toys that Sean loves, that are not really toys and they are:
1) 6-ft step ladder
3) empty boxes of any size
* * * * *
I’m sure everyone’s Top 10 Toys list looks a little different. If you were going to recommend the top three or four best toys to a new mom, what would be on your list?