• Short One Pair Of Socks

August 2, 2009

Why, you might wonder, is Antique Mommy missing a pair of socks? Well I’ll tell you. They were knocked off this weekend in North Carolina at the Proverbs 31 She Speaks conference.

I don’t even know where to start in describing the awesomeness that was this weekend, so I’m going to mention just a few highlights and then I’m going to go lay down for a few days.

In absolutely no particular order:

~ Keynote speaker Jennifer Rothchild. Amazing doesn’t even begin to describe this woman. She had 600 women and a number of men spellbound for more than an hour as she told her story. I can’t quit thinking about her and her powerful story and the way she tells it. I may have trampled a few sisters trying to be first at her book table.   If you ever hear her speak, you will not be the same.  I will not do injustice to her big story by trying to tell you about it in this small space.  Go to her site and find out about her.

~ An amazing demonstration of the unity of the body of Christ seldom seen,  anywhere really.  This is the thing that stands out for me about this organization and this conference and I think why I love it so much.  There is no A List or B List.  There is no preferential treatments or anything that separates anyone from anyone else, no favoritism shown that James talks against in Chapter 2.  There is no division among them, just everyone working together to encourage and build each other up.  600 women encouraging and cheering each other on, all on the same team.  That makes my heart burst.

~ Cheri Keaggy – I have loved her since I first heard her music when I returned to my faith back in the 90s.  Her music was a big part of that season of my life.  She is an amazing singer, musician and woman of faith. And tall. I had no idea.  I assumed she was short like me.  I stopped her in the hall and told her I would die if she didn’t sing “Make My Life An Altar.”  She looked full into my face giving no indication she thought I was nuts.  She didn’t sing it and I didn’t die. But I still love her.  Not in a stalker-y sort of way. Well not overtly stalkerly.

~ The Proverbs 31 team – How this small band of sisters put on such a well run, thoughtful, meaty, organized conference for 600 women is beyond me. All are approachable, available and know everyone’s name.  And that amazes me because many days I don’t even know my own name.

~ A lovely lady with great big aqua green eyes rimmed in gray who made it possible for me to attend this year.

~ That the busiest woman in the whole place would leave a session she was leading to come hear me give my little speech just because I asked her to.  It’s slightly more involved than that, but too involved to lay out here at this moment. Soon.

~ Seeing my sweet bloggy friends, some of whom I had met before and others not, but in all, a list which is too long for the mental bandwidth I have available at the moment.

~ My 570  new friends.

I’ve got more stories to share, but just now I am so tired I want to cry.  I’m going to go wrap myself up in my little boyfriend and then my big one.  It’s good to be home.

22 Comments

1. Jenn A. says:

Ha! I love your title. 😉 That conference sounds so wonderful. Glad you got to go enjoy all that love.
      I went to a women’s conference this past October, where my BFF and I finally got to realize a dream of flying to meet somewhere for a girls’ weekend. We live on opposite coasts, you see. We met in the middle for the conference and it was three days of heaven. 🙂 Jenn

August 2nd, 2009 at 9:24 pm

2. Amy Dalke says:

If you find your socks, maybe mine are somewhere near them! I will never forget SheSpeaks 2009 as a time in my life when my faith was encouraged, my heart was renewed, and my skills were challenged and refined.
      I’m so glad I had the opportunity to be in your eval group. And yes, next year!!

August 2nd, 2009 at 9:31 pm

3. Fiddledeedee says:

Yeah! I’m glad it went so well! You’ll be needing to e-mail me with all the details! 🙂 I missed all of y’all like crazy this weekend. I’m going to start having bake sales every weekend so I can be there next year.

August 2nd, 2009 at 9:31 pm

4. The G-Ma says:

The sanctity, energy, unity and joy of real sisterhood cannot be described, trumped, packaged or bottled! What a gift you have received and bestowed, AM.

I love love love the way you put that G-Ma!

August 2nd, 2009 at 9:38 pm

5. RefreshMom says:

I’m so glad you got to go! One of these days I’ll make it to the other side of the country for She Speaks. For now, I get my ‘fix’ of the same kind at the Mt Hermon Christian Writer’s Conference every year. Looking forward to hearing more.

August 2nd, 2009 at 9:56 pm

6. RefreshMom says:

ps–I’m so surprised to hear you aren’t tall! You write tall. : )

August 2nd, 2009 at 9:57 pm

7. Musings of a Housewife says:

It was wonderful getting to know you better this weekend. You sum it up well. 🙂

August 2nd, 2009 at 10:53 pm

8. My Home Sweet Home says:

Love you, girl! I’m sorry we couldn’t spend more time together this weekend, but the time we had was precious to me.

August 3rd, 2009 at 1:18 am

9. Meg @ Spicy Magnolia says:

It sounds wonderful! Take a breather, enjoy your boyfriends, and then tell us all ’bout it. 🙂

August 3rd, 2009 at 8:07 am

10. Shelly W. says:

Great post. What a wonderful weekend.

August 3rd, 2009 at 9:59 am

11. Janmary, N Ireland says:

Oh I wish I had been there.

Maybe next year there will be 601 as if we can sort our house-swap holiday for next summer to the US …. I am working on it!

So glad you were encouraged and blessed, and that everyone felt included.

August 3rd, 2009 at 10:47 am

12. LauraLee@Selah says:

I think I found your socks! They’re over here in my laundry pile.

YOU were one of my highlights, dear sister. You’re the real deal, and I can’t wait to know you more.

August 3rd, 2009 at 12:50 pm

13. Lisa B @ simply His says:

God knocked my socks off and more this weekend 🙂 It was great to see you again — and sorry for the hug. I forgot 😀 But so loved seeing your smiling face as we passed in the hallways too! You rock!

August 3rd, 2009 at 12:56 pm

14. Sarah S. says:

How ’bout I just buy you a new pair of socks? I’ll even go fancy — what’s that? 7? 10 bucks? Because meeting you in person was the priceless treasure I expected it to be! You have many of my favorites of the weekend listed here.

What a wonderful place for God to show up in mighty ways.

August 3rd, 2009 at 1:12 pm

15. Melanie Chitwood says:

antique mommy – you can speak and write beautifully! not to mention your beautiful photos! enjoyed so much meeting you and now i’m enjoying your blog – blessings melanie

August 3rd, 2009 at 2:07 pm

16. Beverlydru says:

Attending this conference remains on my list of things I want to do! Glad it was an awesome weekend for you and everyone else there.

August 3rd, 2009 at 2:56 pm

17. Kelley Smith says:

Was there too. I wondered what happened to my socks. Now I know!

August 3rd, 2009 at 3:00 pm

18. Stretch Mark Mama says:

XOXO

Would love to go sometime. Hard to get my body from PNW to the South though. $$$

So glad to hear that this conference went well–I lost a lot of hope after reading the tweets and blog posts from um, that last big conference that just went on.

August 3rd, 2009 at 11:17 pm

19. Heather says:

I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed Jennifer Rothchild! She and I are members of the same church. And I can tell you, she’s the REAL DEAL! She’s exactly the same when I see her at Church. She’s an amazing woman, and I totally admire her. She has a wonderfully sweet spirit. 🙂

August 4th, 2009 at 1:27 am

20. Ann G says:

Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend! Can’t wait to hear more about it!

August 4th, 2009 at 12:16 pm

21. edj says:

Sounds WONDERFUL!

August 5th, 2009 at 5:30 pm

22. Deborah H says:

I heard it was really good. I had a friend that won a drawing and got to speak there at She Speaks..Julie Gillies… So I’ve heard that it was really good! Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend!

August 13th, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.