• Everything I Ever Remember About Kindergarten

August 30, 2009

Sean begins kindergarten shortly after Labor Day. And like every other mother in America who is sending a child off to kindergarten, I can’t believe this day has arrived so quickly. It seems like just yesterday that we found out we were expecting.

I guess I should be reflecting on the past five years and how they have slipped away so quickly, but what I find myself thinking about is how the past 45 years have slipped away so quickly.

It doesn’t seem that long ago that I was in kindergarten.  When I look at my kindergarten class picture, I can name nearly every student, the teacher and even the school principal.  I don’t think I’ve ever forgotten one single detail of my life, which in many ways is unfortunate, because there are many events which would best be forgotten.

Here is everything I remember about kindergarten:

I was in the afternoon class.  There were 30 kids in my class and one teacher — no aide like they have now.  The teacher’s name, God bless her real good, was Mrs. Kelly. According to the class picture, she had a first name and it started with “B” but no one ever knew what it was.

PhotobucketMrs. Kelly was probably about 25 or 30, but in her picture she looks much older.  In 1965 everyone looked about 20 yeas older than they actually were. That was the style. I remember one time I called her “mom” by mistake and I thought I would die.

In the spring, Mrs. Kelly took the entire class on a walking field trip to the IGA which was half a block from school. We had to cross a set of defunct railroad tracks and a busy two-lane road to get to the store.  And just now I’m trying to imagine doing that with 30 5-year-olds and it gives me the shivers.

For reasons unknown, just before we got to the railroad tracks, Jean Ann D. freaked out and tried to run away.  Mrs. Kelly sprinted after her and chased her down.  I could not believe my eyes.  I was a compliant child and it would never have occurred to me to do something like that.  I distinctly remember wondering why on earth would anyone do such a crazy thing? Who doesn’t want to go to the grocery store?  When we got to the grocery store, the store manager opened a box of Capt’n Crunch and let everyone have a handful of cereal.    That pivotal moment cemented my deep and abiding love for Capt’n Crunch.

Mrs. Kelly broke her leg during the school year (maybe chasing after Jean Ann) and so she sometimes sat in the front of the class with her foot in a cast resting on a chair. She read “Make Way for Ducklings” and  “Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel” – still two of my favorite children stories.  I liked the way she held the books out to the side while she read so we could see the pictures.

PhotobucketOne time Mrs. Kelly called me to the front of the room and pulled me up on her lap and felt my forehead.  She said I looked  like I didn’t feel well.   I had a fever and she called my dad to come and get me.  It made me feel special to sit in her lap.  I took note of it because I don’t think other than that one time, she knew I was in the class — not too surprising given the class size and the fact that I didn’t do anything crazy like run away.

One time Mrs. Kelly brought out a box of percussion musical instruments. Everyone picked one and we all marched around the room banging on whatever lame instrument we managed to grab.  I wanted the triangle, but never got it and I certainly never got the tambourine, even after Mrs. Kelly made everyone trade instruments with someone else.  I remember feeling mighty ridiculous marching around the room banging two sticks together.  Consequently, I never took band.

There was a little pretend grocery store set up in the classroom and sometimes we would get to play grocery store, my most absolute favorite activity.  I loved the tiny toy cash register. Everyone wanted to be the cashier. For many years thereafter, it was my dream to be a cashier.

Photobucket

One time just as the bell rang and the class was being dismissed, my boyfriend Jerry got a nose bleed.  The teacher had him lie down on the floor with his head tilted back.  All the students ran out of the room to go home, even the teacher was out in the hall.  Jerry started crying so I turned back and stayed with him in the empty classroom, kneeling down beside him as globs of blood dripped out of his nose and down the side of his face.  I was a compassionate angel of mercy even in those days.

One day, my dad was late picking me up from school.  All the other kids had gone home and I was the last one left. The school was eerily quiet and I was beginning to get concerned.  In those days, I thought a lot about becoming an orphan and made plans about what I would do if I became an orphan.  Once I heard the word orphan and learned what it meant, I could not think of anything else. As I waited for my dad, who might not be coming for me, I imagined my exotic life in an orphanage.  As I waited,  I didn’t cry, because it would have taken more than being orphaned to make me cry. Nonetheless, I was relieved to see him when he finally showed up.

My dad took me to school every day in his car, known as Clunker #2, which he had hand painted primer gray.  And every day before school, and I do mean every single day, he fixed me a boiled hotdog which he impaled with a fork and served up with a splotch of ketchup on a plate.  After a nutritious gourmet lunch, I would crawl up onto the bench seat of Clunker #2 beside my dad while he drove me to school. Because I was fiercely independent, I always jumped out and ran into the school by myself, never looking back.

The year I was three, I got a maid’s outfit for Christmas which included an apron, a hat and all the tools of the trade. One day I decided that I should like to wear the maid’s outfit to school.  Dad put his foot down on that one.  I threw a fit, but he stood firm and sent me back to my room to change. That was one of the few times in my life that my dad has said no to me.

Everyday before getting in the car to go to school, dad would make some clumsy attempt to make my course thick dry frizzy bad hair presentable.  He never succeeded, but he will certainly get a star in his crown for trying.

Jeannie S. wore a leg brace. Her parents owned a gas station.  Billy R. had braces on both legs and some sort of medical problem and my mom would have long telephone chats with his mom.  Brian M. had a spot on the middle of his nose and it was terribly cute.  Laura G. wasn’t quite right and was known to bite.  Rhonda D. used to roll up on her back during nap time and pull her panties down to her knees and then pull them back up as she rolled back  — another thing that would have never occurred to me to do.  There was so many new things to learn at school.   Cassie B. was the cutest girl in the whole class. She was also the cutest girl in high school.

One day, towards the end of the school year, my mom let me walk the 3/4  mile home with Jerry.  I don’t know if one of the moms followed us at a discreet distance, but not in ten million years would I let my 5-year-old walk a mile home down a busy road. Not in twenty million years.  It was a different time.

After graduating kindergarten, 13 of us went on to Catholic grade school together through 8th grade and then we joined up again with most of the rest of the class in high school.

I still get together with Jerry and some of the other “kids” every couple of years and have dinner and wax nostalgic.  There’s something kind of cool about getting together with  people who share a history, people who are rooted in the same soil.

Sean is a lot like me. He compliant, forgets nothing and loves to play grocery store. In a week, he’ll begin making his own kindergarten memories and he’ll meet people with whom he’ll share a certain history.

And maybe if he’s really lucky, when he’s my age, he’ll still be connected to a few folks who occupied the same sweet kindergarten time and space.

1. Donna says:

I am 42 with a 6 month old, but you just transported me back to my first day of kindergarten, our teacher read “Make Way for Ducklings” to us, too…

August 30th, 2009 at 11:28 pm

2. Cyndi says:

What I wouldn’t give to have a memory like yours. (My husband does.) I can remember smells most clearly…the wooden blocks, the mucilage with the red rubber tips (anyone else remember that?), Play-Doh, crayons.

August 31st, 2009 at 12:18 am

3. melissa says:

i always wanted the triangle too and never got it. i should buy me a triangle and bang away, but then my kids would take it away from me and i’d get a migraine.

August 31st, 2009 at 12:21 am

4. momof8 says:

Thank you for sharing your memories. I am thinking of the days I sent each little kindergartner off to school. I couldn’t believe they were so big, but still so small. I wish for Sean that he won’t feel small. He will be a treat for his teacher and class.

August 31st, 2009 at 12:22 am

5. Theresa says:

This is such a poignant post. I remember going to 2 different kindgergarten classes in the same year, and 3 different 1st grades. My father was NEVER satisfied with where we lived, and so we moved A LOT. I remember bits and pieces about the teachers, but next to nothing about the other children.

I do remember that both kindergarten teachers read “Ping” and then I got to watch Captain Kangaroo read it on t.v. and I thought my teachers must have told him that it was my favorite.

August 31st, 2009 at 6:44 am

6. Deanna says:

I don’t remember too much about my school years, but I do remember my dad dropping me off, crying a little that first day and him giving me his handkercheif from his pocket. I remember the school and my teacher’s name and still have a progress report that says “Deanna needs to learn to tie her shoes.” lol Great post! Looking forward to hearing about Sean’s adventures!

August 31st, 2009 at 7:52 am

7. Just Mom says:

I can only remember bits and pieces of my high school years in the mid 80s, so you can probably imagine how detailed (not) my memory is of kindergarten.

Wonderful post.

btw … My only baby started kindergarten last Thursday. I cried when I got home. I still tear up once in a while, but it’s all good.

August 31st, 2009 at 8:02 am

Even from then I remember primarily the negative stuff. For instance, I know I loved grandmotherly Mrs. Murdock, but my only memory of her is when she was looking at my christening necklace and broke it. Guess I was a “half empty” glass kind of person, even then!

August 31st, 2009 at 8:05 am

Sean’s kindergarten experience is already so much different than mine. He’ll be at the same school he’s been at for the past several years, so it’s not his first school experience.

He’ll have 11 kids in his class and not 30. And around here, people move in and out all the time, so it’s not too likely he’ll go all the way through high school with any of his classmates. I went from kindergarten all the way through high school with Jerry and Ronnie M. And my brothers went through school with the sibs of a lot of my classmates. There was a lot of community and interconnectedness that, sadly, I don’t think he’ll get to experience.

August 31st, 2009 at 8:05 am

10. jessica says:

This was a great read – I’m sitting here thinking of my own kindergarten teacher, Miss Friesen and those thick crayola crayons that were my favorite item in the school supply list. Thank you for reminding us of sweet days gone by.

August 31st, 2009 at 8:26 am

11. Shelly W. says:

What wonderful memories! I remember more about first grade than kindergarten, but one thing I do remember from kindergarten is that I wanted to marry a boy named Craig. Every day, during play time, I would arrange to play house and, of course, I would be the mom and Craig would be the dad. 🙂

August 31st, 2009 at 8:33 am

12. Sally says:

I attended kindergarten in 1967-68, and you are right when you say that times were different back then. I always walked to and from school, sometimes with neighbor kids and sometimes alone, and never had any reason to feel afraid. But I NEVER allowed my daughters to walk to school, not even once in their entire school careers (one is now in college and the other in high school.) It is a different world now.
      My kindergarten teacher’s name was Mrs. Zimmer, and I loved her. I was in the afternoon class, just like you were. My daughters both attended the morning class, but in the last couple of years, the kindergarten class has changed to an all-day class, (which I think is too long for kids that age, but no one asked me what I thought about it!)
      The teachers did look older than their actual ages, just as you described, it was just the style back then. I also remember that all female teachers always wore dresses and male teachers wore shirts and ties, (but teachers today dress much more casually and sometimes even wear jeans!!) Even students were not allowed to wear jeans back then, we had a strict dress code that girls could only wear dresses or pantsuits, and the boys had to wear dress slacks and a button-down shirt, no T-shirts.
      I was a very compliant child, as you were, and remember being shocked at seeing some of the things other kids would do that never would have occurred to me to do.
      Mrs. Zimmer told my Mom that I needed to become more independent and learn how to tie my own shoes and button my own coat.
      Mom never realized that I didn’t already know how to do these things. Apparently my older brothers and sister had been doing that for me all along and I had never learned to do them by myself (I was the youngest of four.)
      I went all through school and graduated high school with most of the same kids from my kindergarten class, and so did my daughters.
      I hope Sean makes as many fond memories from his kindergarten year as I did.

August 31st, 2009 at 8:40 am

13. Natalie says:

Your kindergarten picture looks exactly like your son.

I remember many details from kindergarten. There was a pack of girls who played house at the toy kitchen everyday. They would only allow me to play if I would be the dog. I declared my love for my teacher in front of the whole class…I told the teacher that she was my favorite teacher in the whole world and that I loved her. She laughed, probably because she was the only teacher that I had ever had. However, she is still my favorite teacher.

My grandmother remembered her kindergarten experience vividly as well. She would stare at her teacher who had a very short temper. My grandmother would routinely get sent to the corner for staring at the teacher. Years later, my grandmother visited this teacher in a nursing home. She asked the teacher if she remembered putting my grandmother in the corner so many times. The teacher remembered. My grandmother told the teacher, “I only stared at you because I thought you were the most beautiful woman in the whole world”. Her teacher cried.

August 31st, 2009 at 8:43 am

14. Glennon says:

I always wanted to be Cassie, but I’m afraid I was (am) a little more Laura G.
      Good Luck, Sean! And especially, mom.

August 31st, 2009 at 9:16 am

15. Julie M says:

What a great post. I remember kindergarten too and it was 60 some years ago. Yikes how did that happen? I have a December birthday and my mom thought I was ready for school when I was still 4, so I had to take a test to see if I could start early. They had the wonderful fat crayons there. I don’t remember my teachers name, but I was the last class in the little brick annex. I loved the grocery store, the triangle, the Farmer in the Dell & nap time. I do have one very sad memory and it was of a fat (can’t think of a PC word to use) girl being tormented in the bathroom ~ I stood there and did nothing. I still feel awful about that.

August 31st, 2009 at 9:29 am

16. Susan says:

Wow. Impressive memory. I don’t remember Kindergarten very well, but 1st grade is vivid. I remember walking down the loooooong block with Todd P. every morning. No way would I let my kids do that now. And the town we live in now is smaller than the one I lived in back then.
      I have always wished I had connections with people from my childhood that went that far back. That is very special. We moved too many times when I was in grade school.

August 31st, 2009 at 10:05 am

17. Kay says:

Wow, girl! You DO remember everything! You brought back memories I didn’t even know I had! I remember playing the (dumb) sticks too! And the kids with nose bleeds and weird habits and the ones that didn’t quite fit in.. oh wait.. the one that didn’t fit in was me! LOL

Yes it is a different time. I walked to school some too (and would never let mine do it now!). And had unruly hair… although none of us thought we needed to look like a rock star every day of our lives either. In so many ways, we just didn’t care about a lot of the stuff that kids seem so obsessed about today. sigh.

I’m sure Sean will have a great year. And so will you! 🙂

August 31st, 2009 at 10:19 am

18. Jackie Hall says:

Take lots and lots of pictures. (Well, since you have such a love of photography I’m sure that will not be a problem. 🙂 )

Write down the funny things he says or does. Write down all the fun games y’all do. Even as a teen my son seems to enjoy hearing about when he was little and the things we did together.

Most of all just enjoy him. I know it hard to read the same book for the 5 billionth time but, when your baby boy is my baby boy’s age (17… 18 Dec 2nd… sniff sniff) you will be thankful to know you did all you could to make sure he knows you love him with all of your heart. Tell him, show him and let him know how very proud you are of him. Partens seem to think kids know all of this but, it sure is nice to hear! I know it makes Blake smile and get a little embarassed when I tell him all of those things…. to be honest I can see his chest get a little puffed up too.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to go on and on. You just remind me of me when Blake was Seans age. You just want to absorbe everything! Because it is gone is a flash!

August 31st, 2009 at 10:38 am

19. Barb says:

ahhh- Kindergarten.I remember repeating the same couple of jokes over and over.Say red (red) You wet the bed! Say Blue (Blue) you got the flu.At this time we laughed uproariously. oh the good old days!

August 31st, 2009 at 11:11 am

20. Sarah at themommylogues says:

My kindergarten teacher was Miss Jenny. I thought she was the most fabulous woman ever. Best smile. Best laugh. At the end of the year she told us to stop by and say hello sometimes on our way to 1st grade. So I did. I think every single day for a long time. And then on occasion after that as long as I was at the school. Miss Jenny was single, had been teaching forever and had no children of her own. I feel like she thought of each of us as her kids. She made us all feel special. I think I was in 6th grade when she was assaulted by a stranger in her home in our very small town. A fact that makes me cry to this day. After that she moved to Hawaii.

I had ALWAYS wanted a little girl named Natalie. For as long as I could remember. When I was pregnant I remember getting to around 6 months and deciding this child was certainly not a Natalie. If it was a girl, she would be Ella. When she was 3 or 4, I ran into Miss Jenny during the town festival. She met my daughters and proclaimed, “My mother’s name was Ella!” Somehow then it all made sense.

I still email Miss Jenny sometimes, and exchange Christmas cards. I’m not sure any teacher had as big of an impact on me. Last year I had the honor of walking my daughter into Miss Jenny’s classroom. Only now it was someone else’s. Actually, someone who had student taught under her two years after I had her. Now we’ve moved to a new state, and I’m sending Ella off to 1st grade in a strange new school. But I’m still thankful for Miss Jenny.

August 31st, 2009 at 11:29 am

21. Jenny 867-5309 says:

It’s amazing how much of your story brought back memories for me that hung back in the foggy side of my brain. Thanks for helping me remember how much I adored my kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Pratt.

August 31st, 2009 at 12:37 pm

22. Minnesotamom says:

I rarely see/hear from my hometown friends anymore (except for those few who are my “friends” on Facebook). It makes me sad that at one time we were inseparable and would’ve done anything for each other, and now we rarely even exchange emails. I think the disconnectedness is common in my generation. My mom still keeps in touch with quite a few of her HS classmates.

August 31st, 2009 at 1:18 pm

23. Ann G says:

Wow! I remember a little bit about kindergarten but not those kinds of details! I remember my teacher’s name, where the classroom was in the school and a couple of the kids in the class, but beyond that…it was too long ago for my foggy mind! We start next Tuesday too. New adventures for all of us!

August 31st, 2009 at 1:54 pm

24. Marian says:

Wowee. That could almost be a black and white picture of Sean with a wig on up there.

August 31st, 2009 at 2:58 pm

25. Elicia says:

such awesome memories! i love this. you really had a boyfriend in kindergarten? adorable. little kids being boyfriend/girlfriend is so funny. : )

More like a friend who was a boy; He was smart and I did think he was pretty darn cute. Still is.

August 31st, 2009 at 3:33 pm

26. mary says:

VERy sweet!

August 31st, 2009 at 3:40 pm

27. edj says:

Wow. I cannot fathom still knowing people from Kindergarten! That’s pretty darn cool.

It is pretty darn cool.There is something to be said for Midwestern stability.

‘My dad has been good friends with the guy next door for 63 years, since they were about 15. And they’ve been next door neighbors for 55 years. Dad still knows and bumps into kids he went to grade school with. That is amazing. And nice.

August 31st, 2009 at 4:54 pm

28. Christine says:

Great post! I send my 5 year old off this September as well. I think I’m as excited for her as she is for herself! I loved kindergarten too and like you, I have some of the oddest, most distinct memories from that first year of school. Mrs. Hulsey was my kg teacher and our walking field trip was up the hill to her house at the end of the year to see all her cuckoo clocks. Why in heaven’s name a woman who’d spent the better part of 40 years in the craziness of a kindergarten classroom felt the need to have (working!) cuckoo clocks adorning every spare inch of wall in her home is a mystery to me. My mom even still has her handwritten recipe card for toasted pumpkin seeds from that Halloween! Sean will do great!

August 31st, 2009 at 5:05 pm

29. Jodie@The Sky Is Only Dark Between the Stars says:

I am just absolutely blown away by your memory. And I just LOVE how those experiences shaped the rest of your life from wanting to be a cashier to never joining band. Classic AM. I love this place. 🙂

August 31st, 2009 at 6:15 pm

30. milissa says:

I can’t believe how vivid your memory of kindergarden is! I only have 2 strong memories from that year. Thanks for sharing!

August 31st, 2009 at 7:18 pm

31. The G-Ma says:

Didn’t have k-garten back in my young years (during WWII). But in first grade I learned that the Japanese salute their “president” by placing thumb to nose and wiggling their fingers. My teacher, Sr. Mary Thecla, did not agree.

I also learned that if you color a white crayon, over and over and over again on the so-called manilla paper, and then lightly add some blue, the color looks silver. That’t the way I colored all my airplanes.

I learned that I was in love with Paul Brubacker, who was in sixth grade. He didn’t know I existed, but I knew every move he made during recess and lunch. He was beautiful to me.

I learned how to cheat by voting for myself in piano class as having played the best that week. I wrote my own name in the printing style of Charles McNulty. No one was fooled. I got a holy card for winning, and I tore it up while walking home from school.

I loved school then, and loved every single year of instruction I ever received thereafter. School was like an intoxicating heaven to me.

Wonderfully evocative post, AM. Many of us are sighing and wishing to tell someone else of our own precious memories.

August 31st, 2009 at 8:08 pm

32. Julie at Elisharose says:

While I don’t remember everything, I do remember a lot. It was a different time. I want to say a better time, but I guess your time is what you make it. It certainly was a less stressful time for parents.

I, too, went to K – 12 with most of the same crowd. And many of them are now my friends on Facebook. I feel truly blessed that there was so much continuity in my life during those early years. Few kids today get to experience that and it is a shame.

Maybe you should turn this into a Mr. Linky thing. It might be cool to read about other people’s kindergarten experiences.

August 31st, 2009 at 8:16 pm

33. france59 says:

What a great memory you have! I don’t remember kindergarten at all except for nap time. Maybe it was because I could never fall asleep. It was absolute torture having to be quiet and still and pretend to be asleep. I was the same way at home, refusing to nap.

And the only thing I remember about first grade was how afraid I was of my teacher…she was strict and had very high expectations. However, I was reading third grade books by the time I left first grade.

The first teacher I remember in great detail was my third grade teacher, Miss Smith. She had a lovely southern accent (which was rare where I lived) and if you were struggling or sad, she’d ask (in that lilting southern voice dripping with magnolia blossoms) “What’s a matter, honey child?” I loved Miss Smith for that.

August 31st, 2009 at 8:48 pm

34. Dee from Tennessee says:

Mercy….I remember being the Last Child In The Class to Learn How to Tie the shoelaces on that great big shoe ~~ sigh.

I was in the morning class — I CANNOT begin to imagine how tired that teacher was at the end of Fridays….even waaaaaaaay before Fridays.

I walked to school with a classmate. Not far, but out of sight of our moms — blows my mind when I think about it now. Not for all the money in the world would I let one walk to school now…and I live in a small, tiny tiny town.

Great great post — your memory is fabulous!

August 31st, 2009 at 9:10 pm

35. k&c's mom says:

I loved this! I teach first grade and happily answer to Mommy several times a day. Oh, how I hope that my little students are gathering as many precious memories for their journey through life as you did.
      God bless you, Sean!

August 31st, 2009 at 9:12 pm

36. HarryJacksMom says:

Wow…that’s a scary skill you have there. The only thing I can remember, obviously not well, is something going on regarding Nixon/Vietnam and my teacher and mom discussing it as I headed into the room from the parking lot. I went to a church program (they didn’t have K as part of the school where I lived). I just spent longer than I should have trying to figure out what it was…no clue!

August 31st, 2009 at 9:25 pm

37. Gini says:

I did not get to go to Kindergarten and spent the next 16 years wanting to be a Kindergarten teacher! My dream came true and I taught Kindergarten for 10 years and Pre-K for another 4. My 3 girls will still ask me to tell stories about my students. The first day of school I would watch the moms and students arrive. If the child cried and was reluctant to leave their mom, the mom left with a smile on their face. If the child entered the room confidently the mom would go out to their car and have a good cry themselves. I read “Make Way For Ducklings” so many times I could just about recite it. I always tried to make sure every kid had a turn with the triangle – even Bobby Green (a class terror who I remember by name 34 years later!). I still get Christmas cards, graduation announcements, wedding invitations and baby announcements from former students. I had waist length hair in those days and I remember letting one student stand behind me on my desk chair and brush my hair during playtime. I’m sure that would never be allowed in a classroom these days. I planted pumpkins in my garden every summer and took the kids on a field trip to pick pumpkins in a REAL pumpkin patch. The kids were always shocked to discover that I did not live at the school. I loved those fat crayons with the flat sides so they would not roll, the fat pencils, the special handwriting paper with the dotted line down the middle for the short lower case letters, finger plays and action songs, messy art projects, milk and cookies, etc. One year on April 1 I emptied out all their Cartons of milk and stapled them shut. I had a pitcher of milk hidden. The look on the kids faces when they all realized they had empty milk cartons was so funny. The year I got married I invited the entire class to the wedding. I wish I had thought to have a unit on weddings ahead of time. I was surprised how many 5 year olds had never been to a wedding. Oh my goodness but you have turned on the memories for me! Sean will have a year of tremendous adventures!

Oh Gini you should write a book! I just love the imagery of a child standing behind you brushing your long hair!

And yes, I’ll admit that I sort of thought the teachers lived at the school (well, the nuns did live in the convent on the same property as the school). It was always so weird to see your teacher at the store or some other place than school. It felt sort of… improper. One time my mom and I ran into my 4th grade teacher, Mrs. Robinson, in the grocery store and my mom called her by her first name. Aaaack! She had a first name! Plus I could see what she had in her cart. I am cringing at the memory.

August 31st, 2009 at 9:35 pm

38. rrmama says:

What a precious memory! I have memories of my kindergarten class. Sadly we moved away during my kindergarten year but I still have a letter from my teacher, Mrs. Shapiro. And it is signed by all of my classmates. Anthony G was my boyfriend and he said he loved me in the card. I also learned how to make Ivory soap boats in that class. And I remember the bathrooms with the wood stalls and the key necklace as the bathroom pass. Ahhh sweet memories….Thanks for taking me down that lane today!

August 31st, 2009 at 9:42 pm

39. mythoughtsonthat says:

I just loved kindergarten! My boy? Not so much. He had a great teacher but he just wanted to be with me. Even now, although he doesn’t cry the first 2 weeks of each year like he did in kindergarten, does well and has friends, he asks why he has to go to school at all. Sigh.

I am an aide at an elemaentary school and have been working in the kindergarten because they have a lot of challenging kids this year. I can’t express enough how much I love doing this. Kindergarteners are hilarious- you could never be sad in a room full of 5 year olds!

Peace to you as your boy starts school.

August 31st, 2009 at 10:35 pm

40. Paulla says:

What a precious walk down memory lane. Yes, things are quite different now, aren’t they? *sigh* God bless, as you send your little punkin off to school. 🙂

September 1st, 2009 at 4:10 am

41. zoom says:

The kindergarten I went to in 1965 was Mecham’s Kindergarten. One of the main things I remember was being picked up in a red VW bus ( no seat belts) and ferried to a converted old house that seemed like we were transported to another world.

September 1st, 2009 at 1:03 pm

42. Nan says:

I loved kindergarten too. Better than real school!

September 1st, 2009 at 5:06 pm

43. tom says:

Kindergarten was the best. 1968, and I still have very vivid memories from being in kindergarten, some good, some not so good. I learned how to really get some altitude on the swingset, I learned that you could yell down one storm drain and your buddy could hear you in the other, I learned that I liked painting and didn’t like dancing, and that not every kid could read.

I hope my son’s memories of kindergarten stick with him, and they’re held with just as much fondness.

September 1st, 2009 at 5:14 pm

44. Tater Mama says:

This was wonderful!

I grew up in a small town in west Tennessee. My graduating class had our 20th reunion last September, and about 15 of us who attended started out in “Miss” Ruth’s Kindergarten class and went all the way through 12th grade together. She passed away a few months before the reunion, so we had one last picture taken as “Miss Ruth’s Babes.” I have a big lump in my throat just thinking about “Miss” Ruth. She did exactly what a Kindergarten teacher is supposed to do; she made me love coming to school each day.

I hope Sean’s year gets off to a beautiful start!

A whole new world is about to open for Sean.

September 1st, 2009 at 8:04 pm

45. Carrie says:

Wow, you have a REALLY good memory!!! All I remember from kindergarten are the things I got in trouble for: flushing someone’s rubber stamp down the toilet, and coloring on my chair instead of the paper. 🙂

September 1st, 2009 at 10:42 pm

46. Common Mom says:

Oh AM . . . you and I share a brain – the ability to remember almost anything 🙂 I wanted to begin telling about Mrs. Drake, the most wonderful kindergarten teacher ever, and how I got a point taken off a paper for writing my name in red crayon instead of pencil, and how she had me sit on her lap and read a book about an owl to the class, and how she was so concerned when I hurt my neck on the tennis court and wasn’t in school for a week, and how we had nap time every day, and how Bill M. and I always had to get the milk together for milk break because we had the same last name, and how she always wore a dress and lovely pearls to teach, and how she always made each of her students feel like they were the most special kid on the planet, and how she had a hot plate and a little oven in the classroom so we could bake cupcakes right there in the classroom on our birthday.

But my comment would have taken on a life of its own 😉 Thank you for bringing these wonderful memories back!

September 1st, 2009 at 11:29 pm

47. Stretch Mark Mama says:

I had multi-colored red/yellow/blue gym shoes and we’d play with bean bags in the gym. And the teachers made us drink white milk for snack (which I hated). I was painfully shy and got my first kiss (on the cheek) from a boy we called Grody Jody.

I had a crush on the boy who in later years became The Most Popular Boy In The Class. What’s funny is that he still pops up in my dreams (very randomly), which tells me that even feelings at a young age can have a very strong and long-lasting impact.

I too grieve the loss of longevity when it comes to my kids growing up with the same kids year after year. It’s still that way back in my hometown, but if I moved back there–I’d have to give up so many of the other things I value (diversity, for one).

September 2nd, 2009 at 12:19 am

48. Elizabeth says:

I think this really happened to me or I read it in a book an convinced myself that it was a real memory…but I THINK we had a nap fairy that weilded a magic wand. She (or he) could tap each child SOFTLY to wake them up from their naps. I’m pretty sure that really happened. You do have an amazing memory! Sean will have a great year, I bet!

September 2nd, 2009 at 4:55 pm

49. Jeanne A says:

guess it won’t happen for me—-no kindergarten—-not for missionary kids in Ethiopia

September 2nd, 2009 at 10:07 pm

50. Hillary @ The Other Mama says:

I can’t believe your memory! Amazing! And I really can’t believe the girl with her panties! haha!!

September 8th, 2009 at 4:33 pm