• Eleven

October 26, 2009

So then, not too long ago we celebrated our 11th wedding anniversary.

I went on line to look up what the traditional gifts are for eleven years and it says they are steel and fashion jewelry – basically power tools or cheap jewelry.  If they had checked with me they would know that it’s not steel or jewelry, it is picture frames.

A few days prior, I happened to notice on the calendar that the big day was nigh, so I said, “Dude. Did you know that our anniversary is coming up?”

“Yes,” he lied.

“Really?” I queried.  “When is it?”

“It is soon,” he said decisively, “Very. Soon.  It is….coming up.”

So because both of us stink at event planning and having ducks in a row, on the day of, we separately snuck off to generic big box stores to buy each other thoughtful meaningful gifts to express our love; gifts that said, “You are the love of my life, you are my passion.”  And what better expresses that sentiment than picking up something from the clearance end cap at the very last minute?  And I really think that doing it this way is a greater expression of love just because of the creativity and challenge involved.

Later that evening, we went out for dinner and when we got to the restaurant, we handed each other slightly used gift bags which may or may have not featured Rudolph.  As they say, it’s not the gift bag that counts, it’s the gift. Okay “they” don’t really say that, just me.

In his bag was a photograph I had taken of Sean and him which I had stuck lovingly placed in a frame that I found at Target for $5.99. But it looked like it cost at least $7.99.

In my bag was a digital picture frame which is now sitting on my desk with the past eleven years literally flashing before my eyes.

Photobucket

1. patois says:

I can’t get past the fact that 11 is fashion jewelry.

But, sniff, sniff, I feel like I just read an O Henry story.

October 26th, 2009 at 9:39 am

2. Annabelle says:

Happy 11th Anniversary!

October 26th, 2009 at 9:40 am

3. Amy says:

Happy Anniversary! I love the picture of your boys.

October 26th, 2009 at 9:41 am

4. Heidi says:

Oh my! That picture is sweet.

We are just like you with our anniversaries – we’ve had 22. We are very casual about it and somehow I really do find that more romantic because it means we don’t need one day a year to remind each other that we’re still glad to be married.

And Happy anniversary to you.

October 26th, 2009 at 9:50 am

5. Marie says:

You know, I should know that I will get teary here, but then when you start out silly I think I’ll be ok! But here I am teary… such a sweet sweet picture. And a reminder that I MUST dust & use the digital frame my husband gave me for our anniversary a few years ago! Happy Anniversary, AM!

October 26th, 2009 at 10:26 am

6. mamajo says:

Happy Anniversary, AM 🙂

October 26th, 2009 at 10:38 am

7. Shelly W. says:

Oh, that is so sweet. Happy anniversary!

October 26th, 2009 at 10:46 am

8. Kelly @ Love Well says:

Happy anniversary, AM. Pictures are always a great gift, in my opinion. They say so much.

October 26th, 2009 at 10:47 am

9. Melanie Chitwood says:

What a sweet photo!
      Funny how you each gave one another photo related gifts
      One of the best gifts you gave your husband was not being in a twit about his not making a big deal over your anniversary.
      Scott was a pilot for almost our entire marriage, which meant he was pretty much never home on the big event days. Sometimes I handled that well, and sometimes I didn’t but I can honestly remember only one anniversary gift, and that was my parents treating us to a night at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville, NC.
      So how important are those presents, anyway??

October 26th, 2009 at 10:48 am

10. Kathy says:

Happy Anniversary, AM! Love the picture of your guys. Very very sweet! We celebrated our 33rd anniversary helping our son and daughter in love paint their nursery.- She arrived a bit over a week ago! Call me Nana! fabulousfifty dot com for a peek.

October 26th, 2009 at 10:48 am

11. Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com says:

Happy anniversary!!!

October 26th, 2009 at 12:30 pm

12. momof8 says:

That is so sweet that you both were thinking along the same lines. Sweet picture too! Happy Anniversary!

October 26th, 2009 at 1:08 pm

13. Julie says:

Happy Anniversary! I remember the date. But my problem is remembering which one it is — four? Five? It seems like forever. In a good way. LOL!

October 26th, 2009 at 1:27 pm

14. Lisa Beth W.w says:

Happy anniversary!!

What a sweet, sweet picture. Wish I could smooch that boy! (The little one. 🙂 )

Ha! The big one is not so bad if you don’t mind whiskers!

October 26th, 2009 at 2:49 pm

15. Rebecca says:

I love that both of you chose gifts that connected your son to your marriage. A true family unit. You are all so very blessed and I love getting glimpses of it here. Even more, I love the level of acceptance that shines through all the posts which mention human foibles in passing, rather than in frustration.

Happy Anniversary! And congratulations on snagging a spouse who travels so smoothly on the same wavelength.

October 26th, 2009 at 2:53 pm

16. Meg @ Spicy Magnolia says:

That picture is wonderful! I’m sure it makes your heart skip a beat every time you look at it. Happy Anniversary!

October 26th, 2009 at 3:22 pm

17. Kay says:

We got one of those digital blinky frame deals for the IL’s. It was my idea and I was so jealous! LOL

October 26th, 2009 at 4:16 pm

18. kim says:

Happy anniversary!!

October 26th, 2009 at 4:30 pm

19. mythoughtsonthat says:

O.K., goosebumps over here. So very touching.

Peace.

October 26th, 2009 at 4:36 pm

20. Pam says:

congratulations! May the next 11 years be even more wonderful!

October 26th, 2009 at 5:28 pm

21. Gayle says:

I sure enjoyed this post today! You are a very talented writer. 🙂

October 26th, 2009 at 7:38 pm

22. Lori says:

Happy Anniversary to both of you! How funny that you both thought “picture frame”!

October 27th, 2009 at 12:25 am

23. Jenny says:

So sweet! I just melted when I saw the picture.

October 27th, 2009 at 12:35 am

24. Ann G says:

Love pictures of daddy’s and their little boys! That’s a great one!

October 27th, 2009 at 12:43 am

25. edj says:

Happy Anniversary! And those digital frames are too cool, aren’t they?

October 27th, 2009 at 4:13 am

Aw, LOVE that photo! And it’s a reminder that you guys already perpetually have the best gift ever – Sean and each other!

October 27th, 2009 at 7:30 am

27. Becky B says:

Happy Anniversary! Isn’t it great to know what matters? I loved your post!

October 27th, 2009 at 9:08 am

28. Jan says:

…and, great minds think alike!

October 27th, 2009 at 11:03 am

29. Jenny 867-5309 says:

I think you’re right! We recently celebrated our 11th and we both gave each other pictures in some sort of fashion too. Love those kind of gifts!

October 27th, 2009 at 11:32 am

30. gretchen from lifenut says:

What a sweet photo.

The best gift is realizing you are still on the same page.

October 27th, 2009 at 11:39 am

31. tom says:

Happy Anniversary! That’s a great photo of your men.

October 27th, 2009 at 12:15 pm

32. LarryWho says:

Picture frame: $5.99…Picture: just a little time… Effort: a little on your part…Gift: Priceless.

October 27th, 2009 at 12:57 pm

33. rrmama says:

Happy Anniversary!! Hubs says if I buy one more picture frame then he is filing for divorce. Of course he is just kidding…I hope!

October 27th, 2009 at 1:26 pm

34. Christine says:

So beautiful! We’re coming up on #10 in a few weeks. Hopefully the suggestions for #10 are more exciting than tacky jewelry or power tools, both of which we have in abundance at our house! Which means that from the sounds of things, we’ll be going off the “recommended” list next year just like you did! Happy anniversary and here’s to more sweet memories to be put into clearance frames!

October 27th, 2009 at 3:32 pm

35. Debbie Owensby Moore says:

Aren’t digital picture frames great? Forget the picture albums!

October 27th, 2009 at 3:36 pm

36. Connie says:

Happy Anniversary !! We just celebrated our 50th. See my blog for pictures and info.

October 27th, 2009 at 8:01 pm

37. Kerrie says:

Happy Anniversary AM and AD.

My husband and I celebrated out 11th in August and we have never exchanged anniversary gifts. He also remembers the date far better than I can.

We had a week-long trip planned but had to cancel due to some illnesses in our 4-legged family.

October 27th, 2009 at 8:10 pm

38. Cyndi says:

:wub: We bought the grandparents digital frame phones last Christmas – our new house has a perfect spot for one in the kitchen. Do you think it would be tacky to ask if anyone is NOT using theirs, so I could?! My heart just melted thinking of our 10 years flashing! Congratulations on more than a decade of love. Love that picture, btw! Thanx for sharing your precious family 🙂

October 29th, 2009 at 3:07 pm