In Texas, Thanksgiving weather is anyone’s guess. There have been some years that we had ice and sleet and other years that were warm enough to go swimming. This year it was about 70 and sunny and intensely beautiful.
Here’s what I will remember of Thanksgiving 2009:
– Hanging out at Cousin Jimmy’s place in the country, where we
trekked through a winding creekbed and then a pasture of needle grass with Sean playing the part of Bear Grylls and me playing the part of the woman who carries all the cool rocks and leaves that he found along the way. I wonder if Bear’s mom had to carry all the rocks. We also found some dinosaur bones which look remarkably like cow bones. I refused to carry the cow dinosaur bones. That’s where I draw the line.
– Watching Sean toss bread to 30-pound catfish. The fish would silently rise from the murky depths like a shark, devour an entire piece of bread in one bite and then disappear into the dark. I did not squeal even one time. I have pictures of the Amazon catfish but they are terribly unattractive creatures.
– And my favorite memory of all, watching Sean sit in the same chair with Aunt Jean showing her how to play a game on my iTouch.
* * *
Things I Won’t Remember about Thanksgiving 2009:
– Who won the football game.
– The parade floats.
– That I made the dessert and left it at home.
So then, how was your Thanksgiving? Tell me one thing you will remember and one thing you won’t.