• Mexican Chicken Soup

November 12, 2009

Another soup recipe from my big brown envelope for your fanatabulously awesome weekend ahead.

This one is called Mexican Chicken soup. Here’s what you’ll need and how to make it:

2 or 3 grilled chicken breasts, cubed.  You can also use the pre-grilled fajita chicken from the freezer case or you can use baked chicken, whatever works for you.  A lot of times I’ll use left over baked chicken.

1 onion, diced – I like the Mayan Sweets

1 poblano pepper, grilled, steamed and diced

2 T of butter + 1T of olive oil

1 clove of garlic (garlic powder works fine too)

1 package of fresh sliced mushrooms, cleaned

1 can of corn, drained

½ quart of chicken broth

½ quart of water, more or less

1 16-oz. block of Velveeta, cubed

3 tablespoons of corn starch mixed with 1 cup of warm water

¼ tsp of cumin + ¼ tsp of chili powder

If you have a grill and it’s no trouble to fire it up, then grill two or three chicken breasts, one onion and a poblano pepper.  When the skin on the poblano is good and black, put it in a zip lock bag, seal it up and let it steam for about 20 minutes. Then peel away the charred skin, remove the seeds with a knife and dice.

If you don’t want to mess with grilling and steaming a poblano pepper, a can of green chilis and a drop or two of liquid smoke is a nice substitute, but I don’t think you can beat the smokey flavor of a grilled poblano – worth the trouble in my opinion.

If you are like me and don’t want to mess with the grill, then in a large pan, sauté the onion and mushrooms and garlic in the butter and olive oil until the onions are brown and carmel-y.

Add the chopped chicken, diced peppers, corn and the chicken broth and heat to a simmer.

Add the Velveeta, but do not let it come to a boil or bad things will happen to your soup, your pan and the ambience of your house.

When the cheese has melted, mix the cornstarch in with the 1 cup of warm water and add to the soup to thicken, stirring frequently.

Add as much of the ½ quart of water to get the consistency that you want.

Season with cumin and chili powder and maybe a little salt or whatever else suits you.

There is a lot of room for variation/substitution with this soup. If you aren’t opposed to beer, a half a can would probably add a nice flavor as would a 1/2 cup or so of cooking sherry.

I would serve this with a pan-grilled focaccia bread.  You can get a loaf of focaccia bread for about $1.50 at the grocery store in the bakery department.  I slice it in half horizontally, slather the inside with butter and garlic powder and then put it face down in a hot pan until good and brown.

Have a yummy weekend y’all!

1. gretchen from lifenut says:

Mmmmmm. You are my new soup guru.

I made your bean soup last weekend. It was so easy and a big hit. Can’t wait to try this.

November 12th, 2009 at 10:07 pm

2. Heidi says:

You had me at “velveeta….”

November 12th, 2009 at 10:26 pm

3. MarathonMom says:

nom nom nom…..cool weather soups is why we get fat 🙂

That and Halloween candy. And blogging. But sure, I’ll blame the soup. 🙂

November 12th, 2009 at 10:40 pm

4. Minnesotamom says:

I’ve been scared of Velveeta (even though we ate it all the time growing up) ever since a co-worker told me it is one molecule away from being vinyl. Do you think another cheese would work?

If you pair this soup with a nice Merlot, the molecules in the wine dissolve the vinyl molecule in the Velveeta.

I agree with you on the Velveeta, but dang! Its nasty, and even scary — yet tasty. I think if you can find a cheese that melts nicely and doesn’t get stringy, it would work. Probably any “fodue” sort of cheese would work.

November 13th, 2009 at 1:44 am

5. Karen Lewis says:

*snort*
      “…a molecule away from being vinyl” — that’s the funniest thing I’ve read all week! No offense meant, Minnesotamom – it’s just funny. 🙂

AM – going to try this one this weekend – although I’ve been barred from using the grill ever since I burned our back deck off one Mother’s Day (don’t ask)…I might enlist my husband’s help with the grilling. 🙂

November 13th, 2009 at 3:56 am

6. edj says:

I could easily modify this one 🙂 I’m using Edam cheese though, cuz that’s how I roll.

(Vinyl indeed! I’m with MinnesotaMom on this one 😉 )

November 13th, 2009 at 4:07 am

Hee – and I bet that squirt-cheese in a can stuff is one molecule away from caulk!

Mmmm, I had soup like this in an actual Mexican restaurant once. Tasty, and they had some kind of mutant giant corn in it!

November 13th, 2009 at 7:43 am

8. Christi says:

Hi AM! This soup looks delicious! We are having it for lunch today! Thanks for the recipe!

On a side note, I just want to address the velveeta vs vinyl issues. Much like the margarine vs plastic and cool whip vs styrofoam, even if this statement is true (which it’s not), one molecule of difference can be huge in the chemical world. Carbon monoxide is only one molecule different from oxygen, but that makes a world of difference if you’re breathing one of them. Being similar in molecular formula doesn’t mean that something is bad. That being said, Velveeta is not very good for you. But it’s tasty, so we eat it anyway!

November 13th, 2009 at 10:29 am

9. Lynn Prtorich says:

The bean soup was great. I will try this one this week.

Maybe if I eat a salad with the soup it will negate the vinyl molecules?

November 13th, 2009 at 1:47 pm

10. Kay says:

I found this so tempting, I made it for lunch with a grilled chicken breast purchased from a deli. I used zucchini instead of the corn and added diced red pepper. Very good and colorful.

I also made last week’s bean soup. It was a bit sweet for us, but the addition of ketchup (go figure) straightened that out. I love things made in the crockpot!

November 13th, 2009 at 4:35 pm

11. zoom says:

Velveeta is the 8th wonder of the world. Nothing compares to the creamy goodness of this fine processed cheese.

November 13th, 2009 at 5:01 pm

12. Hillary @ The Other Mama says:

1. Who could be opposed to beer? Especially in a soup? I’m pretty sure that doesn’t even count as drinking for my teetotaling friends.
      2. Another soup? YAY!!! (maybe that should be #1)
      3. LOVE the Velveeta warning. Should you also include: “Do not consume the whole block in one sitting or bad things will happen to your thighs”? I think the surgeon general would approve.

November 13th, 2009 at 8:09 pm

13. mamaspeak says:

How would you do this in a crock pot? You know, w/the cheese being so delicate & all.

(I’m the crockpot queen, did you know? Yeah, well I’m the Queen of Everything, that’s another story. My DD’s are the Princess of Quite A Lot & Princess of Whatever’s Left 😉

I was going to say that the Velveeta warning should include “Do not consume whole block in one sitting or bad things may happen to your intestinal track” I’ll leave the rest to your imagination.

You know, I’ve never made this it in the crock pot. I was going to say that I would probably use more chicken stock and less cheese, or do the cheese at the last minute, but I’m not sure the crock pot is a good match with this soup. Definitely you’d want to set it on low.

November 14th, 2009 at 5:59 am

14. k&c's mom says:

Heading to HEB this morning! Thanks for the post.

November 14th, 2009 at 9:19 am