• Pumpkin Dessert

November 21, 2009

I am not a big fan of pumpkin pie, but I love this pumpkin dessert.  I’ve had this recipe since 1984 and have never once had to put away leftovers.

I heard earlier in the week that there is a pumpkin shortage and it may not be possible to get canned pumpkin, so run as fast as you can to the store and pick up a couple of cans. Then again, maybe the pumpkin farmers started that rumor.

At any rate, here’s a dessert that is always a big hit.

Pumpkin Dessert

You will need one yellow cake mix, three eggs, 1 1/2 sticks of butter (margarine will do), 3 cups of canned pumkin pie mix, 1 can of evaporated milk, 1/4 cup of sugar and cinnamon.

Three easy steps:  crust, filling and topping

Crust

1 package of yellow cake mix (reserving 1 cup for topping)

1 stick of butter, softened

1 egg

Mix together and pat into a greased 9×13 pan

Filling

3 cups of canned pumpkin pie mix (approximately one large can)

2/3 cups of evaporated milk  (I use Pet Milk but any brand will do.)*

2 eggs

Mix together thoroughly and pour over crust.

Topping

1 cup of reserved cake mix

¼ cup of sugar

1 teaspoon of cinnamon

½ stick of butter, softened

Mix together and sprinkle over top of filling.  Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes for a glass pan, up to 50 for a metal pan.

This recipe doesn’t call for chopped pecans on top, but I think they make a nice addition.

Enjoy!

* Evaporated milk that comes in a can, which you can find in the baking aisle. Don’t get it confused with condensed milk. Condensed milk is thick and sugary; evaporated milk is thin and milky – like milk!

1. happy geek says:

You know you are a bit dense when you have to google pet milk.
      This sounds particularly yummy. I have a five year old who could probably eat the whole pan.
      I only wish I was kidding.
      You have an air fern, I have a hoover.

Pet Milk comes in cans which you can find in the baking row at the grocery store, usually next to the Carnation milk — and they are not the same.

November 21st, 2009 at 9:23 am

2. Heidi says:

My son loves all things pumpkin. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin spice latte, pumpkin pancakes. I will definitely be making this soon – 2 pans because he’ll probably eat one pan himself.

November 21st, 2009 at 10:13 am

3. Lucy says:

This is so weird. Last night I was watching a very old re-run of Paula Deen. I know it was old(er) because she was a lot younger and thinner, hair was different…you know…and I was thinking that I didn’t even know she had a show that long ago. But she was making this very recipe and I salivated at the sight of it. I was thinking…looks so good and can’t be that hard. But how do I get the recipe from that long ago. (Since I didn’t want to buy her book.) The only thing she did differently was put whip cream on top at the end and cinnamon on top of that. But pecans!! Mmmmmm…..I’m buying those. I’m off to the store to buy all ingredients with your recipe in hand.

November 21st, 2009 at 10:30 am

4. mythoughtsonthat says:

Oh! My coworker has brought this a few times and although I’m not really a baker, I’ve told her I want to get the recipe, it is that good. Now I have it- thanks!

November 21st, 2009 at 10:53 am

5. Heide says:

This sounds delicious. Still, I have to ask… what is “pet milk”?

November 21st, 2009 at 11:46 am

6. TheChickadeefeeder says:

YES! I have this recipe and it is soooo good!

November 21st, 2009 at 12:06 pm

7. Joy says:

I too am wondering… is it milk one gives to pets? Sounds yucky. My cat helps herself to my glass of milk, so that is also “pet milk” I suppose.

I guess evaporated milk is to Pet Milk what tissue is to Kleenex. It’s the only evaporated milk I’ve ever used so all evaporated milk is Pet Milk to me.

November 21st, 2009 at 12:09 pm

8. momof8 says:

Thank you for sharing your favorites, some people just won’t!!!

I don’t believe in secret recipes! Sharing recipes is sharing love! =-)

November 21st, 2009 at 12:38 pm

9. Stacey says:

This recipe has come just in time for me & mine, Thank you …thank you…
      I’ll print it out and make it really soon! 🙂 maybe I’ll blog about it and link back to you :}

November 21st, 2009 at 1:00 pm

10. Karen {simply a musing blog} says:

I was seriously making my menu for Thanksgiving this morning and thinking to myself, “I really don’t want to make a pumpkin pie again”…thanks for this recipe! I’m so thankful for friends like you – I can feel the recipe love happenin’. 🙂

November 21st, 2009 at 1:04 pm

11. Stacey says:

grrr… my computer must of REALLY liked your blog, because it was nice enough to not just to print this recipe,
      but print it twice for a total of 16 pages…
      I guess this is a sign…
      I WILL be making this…
      I thought that it would only print what I highlighted, I must be wrong.
      shhhh don’t tell anyone! 😉

November 21st, 2009 at 1:11 pm

12. Julie says:

Pet is a brand name. I usually use generic evaporated milk when needed. Does Pet make a difference in the taste?

November 21st, 2009 at 1:29 pm

13. Nan says:

Mmmmm, this sounds great. Thanks for saringso generously! I will have to modify a little, if I can’t find yellow cake mix in the shops. England has never heard of it, it seems! And pancake mix? Can’t find it! But I’m good at modifying.

November 21st, 2009 at 2:06 pm

14. Susan says:

I have this exact recipe, and probably for just as long. It’s a good one! Someone in the family usually makes it over the holidays. I’ve always used Carnation milk, but now you’ve intrigued me with the Pet brand.
      About the pumpkins, could be true in some areas of the country. We just saw a whole field of sugar pumpkins unharvested – not sure why. Frost? Disease? No market? Hmmm….

November 21st, 2009 at 2:59 pm

15. everydayMOM says:

I just made that recipe recently too…. only my version said to put the whole cake mix on the top… no crust… sort of like dump cake. It was good! I love all things pumpkin, especially right now… it’s been one of my biggest pregnancy cravings! =]

November 21st, 2009 at 6:01 pm

16. Jeni says:

Our Wal-Mart was out of canned pumpkin last night, so we may not be having any pumpkin desserts this Thanksgiving! 🙁

November 21st, 2009 at 6:20 pm

17. Kathy says:

I just got back from WalMart this evening with 3 cans of pumpkin. They had plenty.

November 22nd, 2009 at 1:18 am

I think PET Milk isn’t in the Northeast, at least I’ve never seen it. So my first thought was also something you feed to the pets . . or worse, chasing the cat and trying to milk her! 😉

Sounds delicious once I put the correct kind of milk into my head!

November 22nd, 2009 at 8:00 am

19. Deborah says:

I just bookmarked this post–half of my recipes exist only online! One of these days I’ll just print them all out …

November 22nd, 2009 at 11:05 am

20. Jenny-Jenny says:

Oh yeah! That cake is awesome. I also heard that rumor and I love any pumpkin dessert so I just keep buying it. However, judging by all the cans I keep see showing up I think you’re right… the farmers just made it up ;]

November 23rd, 2009 at 10:47 am

21. sheilah says:

Oh…I just read your comment about “…sharing recipes is like sharing love.” I so agree with that. I have a recipe for cookies (my favorite cookies) that was given to me by the mother of a dear friend of mine. Dear Mrs. Cassel is long gone now but everytime I make those cookies I think of her and smile.

November 23rd, 2009 at 10:55 am

22. Kathy says:

Its in the oven…my scheme is that I’m making as much today as I can while the kids are on their way here today. It gives me more grandbaby time once they get here!

My only complaint – the bottom layer is really hard to pat into the pan. It was sticky sticky sticky and I was miserable. There must be an easier way….Could the butter be melted instead?

November 25th, 2009 at 12:10 pm

23. Paulla says:

I am making this right now… thanks for the idea, and Happy Thanksgiving! 🙂

November 26th, 2009 at 9:16 am

24. Hillary @ The Other Mama says:

Made this for Thanksgiving at my in-laws,AM. After 10 years, I think they have finally accepted me.
      Thank YOU!

November 28th, 2009 at 6:28 pm

25. Sue says:

My extremely picky son declared this to be his new favorite pumpkin dessert and we went over last night so he could savor some more-we were too full on Thanksgiving!

Easy and absolutely delicious! Our market was out of pumpkin pie mix but I added the customary spices to Libby’s pumpkin and it was wonderful!

Thank you again for sharing!!

Oh good! I’m glad it was a hit. I made it to take to my in-laws for Thanksgiving and left it at home in the fridge. And not on purpose either.

November 29th, 2009 at 7:50 pm

26. AliAnn says:

I made this for Thanksgiving with my in-laws. Everyone loved it and it was so much better than pumpkin pie. SIL asked for the recipe and FIL actually gave me one of his dishes to take home in exchange for leaving my dish with the left overs in it. He wasn’t about to let me take that last bit home!

December 1st, 2009 at 4:46 pm