• Frenchy Type Toast

November 28, 2009

With just three in the family and one us not terribly fond of food, it seems like when I open a can of biscuits, I always end up with one or two left over.  Recently I discovered that left over biscuits make really yummy crunchy French toast, so I started freezing them instead of throwing them out for the birds.

Frenchy Type Toast

2 beaten eggs

1/2 cup (more or less) of  Half and Half  (any milk will work as well)

1/4 cup or more of cinnamon and sugar mixture (easiest to use in a container that will sprinkle)

3 or 4 frozen left over canned biscuits – previously baked (any kind, flakey or country style, will do)

2T (more or less) vegetable oil

Beat the eggs well and then add in milk and about 2T of cinnamon and sugar mixture and mix thoroughly.

Slice frozen left-over biscuits into 1/4 inch rounds. Each biscuit will make 2 or 3 slices.

Dip the biscuit slices in the egg mixture and then sprinkle one side liberally with cinnamon sugar.  Place sugar side down in a pan of hot oil (not smoking hot, but good and hot) then sprinkle the top with more cinnamon and sugar.

When the bottom is brown and carmelly, turn the biscuit over and brown the other side.

Serve hot with a dab of syrup or a sprinkling of powdered sugar.

Photobucket

1. Deanna says:

Sounds good! I bet my Mary will love this! Thanks!

November 28th, 2009 at 12:22 pm

2. Heidi says:

Looks delicious. I do the same thing with leftover bagels – turn them into French toast.

November 28th, 2009 at 12:59 pm

3. Sarah S. says:

Thank you for an actual recipe for french toast. My oldest will be 14 in a few weeks. Her birthday falls on a day we will be out of town cheering her on at a basketball game and she will be required to ride the bus back home and probably eat a cold McDonald’s hamburger purchased for her along the way as her birthday meal (I may cry thinking about that…) So she requested a birthday breakfast, instead. French Toast. Which struck absolute fear in my heart. I NEVER cook breakfast for actual breakfast and if I ever cook it for dinner, I cook waffles or pancakes, where the recipe is right there on the Bisquick box… Bookmarking this page. I’ll be back…

November 28th, 2009 at 1:33 pm

4. marathonmom says:

good to know what to do with the extras….they can be 250 calories each!

November 28th, 2009 at 1:57 pm

5. happy geek says:

You can get biscuits in a can?
      (Just kidding.)
      That looks rather good. Never thought of turning left-over biscuits into french toast. Mind you, with my five year old there are never any leftovers. Of anything.
      He’d rather eat than do just about anything.
      We make him run a lot.

November 28th, 2009 at 3:00 pm

6. deb says:

What a great idea! Love it.

November 28th, 2009 at 3:31 pm

7. Kay says:

Yum! These look so cute… and it’s sort of like recycling to use biscuit leftovers too. Sweet. In more ways that one! : )

ps..I love your plates!

November 28th, 2009 at 3:56 pm

8. katherine says:

those sound fabulous! our little man and i love french toast in the mornings. i’ll have to try these for him some time!

November 28th, 2009 at 4:19 pm

9. Kat says:

Those sound delish…gotta try this soon.

Hugs!
      Kat

November 28th, 2009 at 11:02 pm

10. Alice@Supratentorial says:

Yummy. My Mom used to use the leftovers of biscuits or any kind of dinner roll for breakfast the next day. She would just slice them, put butter on them and heat under the broiler. That was one of my favorites as a kid. But the French toast is a great idea.

November 29th, 2009 at 6:50 am

11. Tamy says:

This is so clever! But with five teens still living at home~ there are never any leftover biscuits. I may have to sneak a few into the freezer before I call them to supper~ Tamy

November 29th, 2009 at 10:49 am

12. Erica says:

We’ll have to try this. I always put the extra biscuits in a ziploc and then forget about them until they get moldy. This method is infinitely more yummy. 🙂

November 29th, 2009 at 12:23 pm

13. momof8 says:

Impressive! How did you ever think of this?

One morning I was desperate for something to feed my child for breakfast and all I had was stale biscuits. Oh wait. Are you making fun of me? 🙂

November 29th, 2009 at 6:23 pm

14. momof8 says:

No! I would never make of you! Well, not this time anyway! Some of my greatest ideas have been born out of desperation, so that does explain it. It looks tasty enough to just make a batch of biscuits for!

November 29th, 2009 at 7:38 pm

15. Nan says:

We NEVER have leftover anything, except maybe ratatouille, which I eat on toast for the rest of the week. But if we ever have a leftover biscuit, I’ll know what to do!

My boys love french toast… when one side is frying, I sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon on the top, and then turn it over and cook the cinnamonny side. Smells divine, and the sugar caramelises. Use a GOOD non-stick pan though!

November 30th, 2009 at 7:06 am

16. sheilah says:

Wow…I’m gonna have to try this with the leftover rolls from Thanksgiving dinner. Should work, right?

November 30th, 2009 at 1:30 pm