• Italian Pizzelles

December 12, 2009

When I was growing up in the midwest, our Italian neighbors always brought over a tin of pizzelles during the holidays.  To me, those thin buttery crisp waffle cookies symbolize holiday hospitality.

When I moved out of my parent’s house, my mom bought me my own pizzelle iron and every Christmas I carry on the Italian tradition of bringing pizzelles to my friends and neighbors.

Here’s what you will need:

A pizzelle iron – mine is a 25-year-old Rival combo waffle/pizzelle iron.

6 eggs

1 1/2 cups of sugar

1 1/2 cups of melted butter

1 1/2 cups of flour

2 teaspoons of baking powder

4 teaspoons of anise extract.  I like to substitute Frangelica which is a hazlenut liquor but Grand Marnier works well too.

2 teaspoons of vanilla

powdered sugar to sprinkle on top of finished cookie

*  *  *  *

Whip the eggs and then add in the rest of the ingredients in the order listed.  The batter will be thick but still flow from a spoon.

Photobucket

Place a generous tablespoon or so of batter in the center of the hot iron, or two dollops of batter if you have a two-top like I do.  Close the lid and allow to cook until it stops steaming, about 45 seconds. This is a terribly blurry picture, but you get the idea.

Photobucket

This is what they look like when they are done, lightly golden brown.  Remove the very hot pizzelles with a fork and lay on a rack to cool. At this point they will be very maleable and you can shape them into a cylinder or a bowl or cone, but you will have to work quickly.

Photobucket

If you want to shape them into a bowl to serve ice cream in later — and might I recommend Blue Bell Pecan Pralines — quickly press them into a ramekin while still warm.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Or you can just place them on a rack to cool and sprinkle them with powdered sugar.  Aren’t they pretty?

Photobucket

I like to serve them after dinner with coffee or tea.  They are very light and not too sweet – the perfect ending to a heavy meal.

Photobucket

And this is how fast they come running when the pizzelles are done.

Photobucket

This recipe makes 40 or more pizzelles minus the 10 or 15 you won’t be able to stop yourself from eating.

1. marviv says:

Your pizzelles look much neater than mine. I love your recipe. Also, the Frangelica flavor is great for those of us who don’t like anise. Years ago, I used whiskey for flavoring, but the Frangelica is delicious.

December 12th, 2009 at 6:42 pm

2. Carly says:

I love your blog and look forward to new posts daily. Lately, AM, I must say, you’re making me HUNGRY! :o)

Am thoroughly enjoying all the recipes!

Thanks for the kind words. It seems this month it has been really hard to find a few quiet minutes to write a post, although the list of bits and scraps and scenes of life waiting to be written is a long one. I’m also working on a funny children’s Christmas story that was inspired by something Sean said. So for now, it’s probably a lot more recipes and photos.

December 12th, 2009 at 10:18 pm

3. Linda says:

My Mom and I have a date to make these some time before Christmas. She is passing the torch.

December 12th, 2009 at 11:05 pm

4. Rebecca says:

Anything with Frangelica OR Grand Marnier, and I’m there. Love Frangelica in coffee (but will settle for Fat Free Hazlenut creamer, on a daily basis), and ever had a Grand Marnier souffle?

And Blue Bell Pecan Praline is my all time favorite ice cream. So you have pretty much presented me with a classic favorite in the making. I’m not sure if they have Blue Bell here in Vegas, though. But I think Dreyer’s and Breyer’s both have something close.

Anyway, thanks for this one. It’s sure to be one of my personal faves.

December 13th, 2009 at 1:09 am

5. Catch the Kids says:

I really enjoy your writing and look forward to each new post. Thanks for the new recipes to try. They are just that little bit different and most importantly, have easy to find ingredients.

December 13th, 2009 at 1:43 am

6. Lisa B. says:

Those look awesome! Thanks for the recipe.

December 13th, 2009 at 7:22 am

Ooh, a kitchen gadget I don’t have, now *I* want a pizzelle maker!

December 13th, 2009 at 9:13 am

8. Viki says:

I used to live next door to an Italian family. They used to make these. They were excellent with a cup of coffee.

December 13th, 2009 at 10:45 am

9. Minnesotamom says:

Reminds me of krumkake!

December 13th, 2009 at 5:15 pm

10. Jan says:

Pizelles are my FAVORITE! Maybe because they remind me of snowflakes? 😉

December 15th, 2009 at 12:29 am

11. edj says:

OH I LOVE those!! I need a pizelle maker!! It’s ages since I’ve had them.

December 15th, 2009 at 10:35 am

12. Dee says:

Pizelles are welcomed every X-Mas at the Frigos! A Italian tradition along with fish pasta and fried shrimp and calamari. Love it!I am looking for a old cast iron one like Mom’s! Hers was her parents with their wedding date and name on it. Some traditions should be passed on! I want my grandsons to learn how to make them too. It is like passing down the Italian gravy recipe.

April 5th, 2014 at 8:28 am