• January Garden

January 20, 2010

In my garden right now, all the seasons of life are happening and all at the same time.  Some things are just beginning life, other things are in the bright sweet middle spot in the life cycle and other things are all but played out.

Photobucket

A tender hydrangea bud promises of beautiful things to come in the months ahead.

Photobucket

Plump winter berries provide a vivid spot of red in a gray January winterscape.

Photobucket

Neither rain, nor hail, nor sleet, nor snow… shall cause this stubborn leaf to loosen its grip.  This is the only leaf left on my Japanese Maple.  I have to admire its persistence.

* * * * *

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven.

~ Ecclesiastes 3:1

1. Julie says:

It’s so really really nice
      To see something pretty
      Besides ice.

LOL!

January 20th, 2010 at 3:55 pm

2. meghan @ spicy magnolia says:

Beautiful! I am astonished that my daffodils, despite the freezes we’ve had, are sprouting. I’m not ready for such signs of life…because it’s just January!

January 20th, 2010 at 4:17 pm

3. tom says:

Are those Pyracantha berries? We used to have a few bushes in our yard. Thorny little buggers.

January 20th, 2010 at 4:38 pm

4. Cyndi says:

Beautiful! I miss some of the berry-bearing bushes we had at our old house…may need to go dig them up before it sells 🙂 Enjoy all your seasons!

January 20th, 2010 at 6:08 pm

5. JoLyn says:

Beautiful. Oh the colors!

Everything here is a dismal gray. I was just talking with a friend today about the grayness of it all.

But then we remembered how beautiful we have it in spring…and summer…and fall. We just have to get through these few months of dingy gray!

January 20th, 2010 at 6:50 pm

6. rrmama says:

I want to see another picture of that hydrangea bud after it’s in full bloom.

January 20th, 2010 at 8:26 pm

7. Christy says:

Such a lovely reminder that Spring will get to my neck of the woods eventually. For now its just ice and snow and more ice. *sigh* Thanks for the post. Loved it!

January 20th, 2010 at 8:43 pm

8. Shelly W. says:

Seriously? Buds? Come on now!

January 20th, 2010 at 9:07 pm

9. happy geek says:

Yeah, us too:)

If you substitute dead grass for the leaf, icicles for the hydrangea bud and snowdrifts for the berries. Otherwise, exactly the same.

LOVE your pics.

January 20th, 2010 at 10:15 pm

10. Jenny says:

Your pictures always make me sigh with contentment and peace.

January 20th, 2010 at 11:53 pm

11. Jennifer says:

You made me stop and look around. I had no idea we still had color around here. Thanks for the reminder to slow down and enjoy the view!

January 21st, 2010 at 8:51 am

12. momof8 says:

Wow, that is wonderful. We are still “enjoying” being coated in white here in Minnesota. I can’t complain though because winter arrived late and I had some purple (um, didn’t retain the name in my brain) flowers still blooming in my front flower bed on December first. I made sure to photograph them as that doesn’t happen often. Your photos would make an awesome collage type photo!

January 21st, 2010 at 9:23 am

13. Isabelle says:

Have just stumbled across your blog – I do like your writing style.

Gosh, I wish I were as “antique” as you. You’re in your prime. (Though I admit I was younger than you when I had a five-year-old.)

January 21st, 2010 at 11:09 am

14. Maria says:

You have inspired me to go get some hydrangeas. Such beautiful plants. Especially the blue ones.

January 21st, 2010 at 4:56 pm

15. Ora says:

I am going to check out my hydrangea bush LOL…to see if I have any buds…don’t think so…but with the warmer temps and the rain…there just might be some…so I will pile on a bit more mulch to keep their toesies warm…cause the worst if yet to come I am afraid…love your entries…hugs from Oran in Kentucky

January 22nd, 2010 at 4:16 am

16. SheilaG says:

Lovely pictures! And I’m jealous.

For the last few weeks I have just been so DOWN and critical of myself. Really in a funk. Some sort of spiritual attack? Latent depression? What?

In talking with my amazing husband last night, he mentioned that perhaps I’ve just got those mid-winter blues. It’s been miserable up here in Ontario. Nothing is growing, no buds. But we haven’t had any snow either. It’s just brown and grey and blah. Today’s the first day the sun has been out in weeks it seems.

It felt so much better to think that perhaps the reason I’m down is just the weather! Many of us up here do get down in winter. But if I can’t have your buds, I’d settle for a nice, gentle snowfall followed by a lovely sunny day.

I hope God’s listening!

Visit To Love, Honor and Vacuum today!

January 22nd, 2010 at 7:44 am

17. Ivan says:

Your personality is reflected in your photographs. Elegant and tasteful!

Cheers!

(Muggle1 on Twitter and Flickr)

January 22nd, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Methinks the author of this post is somewhat like the tenacious Japanese Maple leaf.

January 23rd, 2010 at 6:44 pm

19. Pam says:

The maple leaf that won’t give up reminds me of a favorite childrens book explaining death, ‘The Fall of Freddie the Leaf’ Freddie was afraid to fall but when he finally did, he floated to the ground and it wasn’t as scray as he thought. Great book for kids…;-)

January 25th, 2010 at 9:18 am

20. Janette says:

You have such a gift for capturing beauty. Actually, you have a talent for capturing it, noticing and recognizing beauty is the gift.

I’m having remorse over finding bulbs in my storage that I had intended to plant in the Fall. I’ll surely miss their happy faces this Spring. Oh well, there’s always next year! Fall will be here before I can complain about the Summer….I live in Kansas. 🙂

January 29th, 2010 at 5:50 pm

21. The Tablescaper says:

So beautiful and inspiring.

– The Tablescaper

January 31st, 2010 at 11:48 am

22. kay says:

What beautiful pictures. Thanks for reminding us that there is indeed beauty in the winter garden.

February 1st, 2010 at 5:07 pm