• Things I’m Doing Instead of Blogging

February 19, 2010

1. Trying to get a shot of a cardinal. Those little boogers are fast and camera shy. See that little bright red dot? That’s a cardinal.

Photobucket

2. Walking the local nature trail with Sean, pretending to be Lewis to his Clark.

Photobucket

3. Trying to become one with my camera.  My goal this year is to get off green.  As it is now, I have to think really hard about the settings and dials and exposure values and the other technical stuff.

4. Writing up a little story I told  Sean the other night while he was in the bathtub.  At school, they are studying the concept of fantasy versus real and he asked me to tell him a fantasty story,  so I made one up on the spot. He said he really liked it, so I’m going to write and illustrate it and make him a little book.

5. Writing several posts that I can’t seem to get out of my head and into the computer.

6. Making awesome gourmet grilled sandwiches for my husband.  I am the sandwich making queen, always have been. Ask my dad.

7.  Working out a little bit, walking and lifting weights.

8. Playing with Photoshop.

9. Unloading and reloading the dishwasher.  Shouldn’t there be a limit on how many times a week one has to do this task?

10. Drinking entirely too much Bigelow’s Vanilla Caramel tea.

11. Watching the Olympics, critiqueing the figure skating and imagining what it would be like to do some of that trick snowboarding.

12.  Thinking about all the things I should be doing versus all the things that I want to be doing and considering which will add greater value to my life and how much I can get away with.

What are you doing?

1. The Cotton Wife says:

You’ll get off green in no time! I promise – one day it’ll all sort of come together for you.

I’ve been shooting in manual now for over a year and fumble a bit if I try any other settings.

February 19th, 2010 at 11:28 am

2. Julie at Elisharose says:

Mostly, I’m trying to get out of the winter funk I’m in. At least, that is what I am blaming it on. It seems like it has been too gray and too cloudy and too cold for too long. I’m hoping spring will change my mood.

February 19th, 2010 at 11:34 am

3. LauraLee Shaw says:

Sounds like a well lived, my friend. Truly. I’m in a continual state of being forced out of my bubble and comfort zone. Uncomfortable, but in a good way, I guess.

February 19th, 2010 at 11:45 am

4. MM says:

Isn’t it amazing how much time blogging takes off your life. That and Facebook are major downfalls for me. I’m amazed at how much more I get accomplished when I’m not on this dang laptop. LOL!

True. I don’t do much on Facebook. I don’t quite understand it and there is just something about it that I don’t trust.

February 19th, 2010 at 11:51 am

5. Kai says:

I LOVE that tea too! Very addicting!

February 19th, 2010 at 12:06 pm

6. Julie says:

I’m not sure which is worse, the unloading/reloading of the dishwasher or the washing machine. Yes, there should be a limit. On both.

I am…shoveling. Again.

On the bright side, I get homemade hot chocolate (not from a box or can) with marshmallows when I’m done. I can live with that trade-off.

February 19th, 2010 at 12:14 pm

7. JoLyn says:

I am making lists. A list of the things I’ve been putting off because I don’t want to do them. A list of what I’ve got to get done today. A list of stuff for taxes. And a list of what I’d really rather be doing…which is taking pictures, playing with them on photoshop and loving on my grandbaby.

I think I need a reward when I’m through!

Reward yourself with some Bigelow Vanilla Caramel tea! If you’ve been really good? Add a spash of Half and Half.

February 19th, 2010 at 12:19 pm

8. Iota says:

I’m rejoicing that my 12 year old son empties the dishwasher every morning, and not listening to the little voice that says “it wasn’t 100% about teaching him responsibility and helping him learn about running a household, was it?”

February 19th, 2010 at 12:30 pm

9. Quirky says:

I’m watching the Olympics…all of it. And jumping along with all those flips and turns and downhill speeds is exhausting. My hubby told me I was no longer allowed to watch them in bed at night because I can’t lay still when they’re on. After twitching for roughly 10 hours every day, I’m in serious need of a nap.

February 19th, 2010 at 12:48 pm

10. Nan says:

Whenever the day dawns sunny, we’re saying ‘QUICK! Get out of the house!’ And going hiking. The boys are on a week’s half-term holiday and it’s been sunny every other day! Good cliffy hikes around here.

Drinking Lemongrass and ginger tea, because I’ve had a horrible cough and am trying to get rid of it.

Getting better but still have achy lungs.

Eating Chocolate (theobromine. good for coughs.)

Becoming Editor of the National Childbirth Trust’s Dorset Newsletter. Steep learning curve, STEEEEP!

I love that cardinal shot… SO red!

February 19th, 2010 at 3:54 pm

11. Shelly W. says:

Missing you! That’s what I’ve been doing. 🙂

Oh, and about a hundred other things like preparing for a retreat I’m speaking at (nice grammar, huh?), writing, blogging, chasing kids, watching the Olympics, working out (not enough), hanging with a sick friend. And that was just this week.

February 19th, 2010 at 4:47 pm

12. meghan @ spicy magnolia says:

#12 has been eating me alive the past few weeks! It’s put me in a major funk and I’m trying to pull out of it. What are the things you think you should be doing?

Tonight, is a night for the Olympics though!

February 19th, 2010 at 7:59 pm

13. Kathy Vaughan says:

I’m making lists and trying to check them off, doing lots of planning, paperwork, packing. Because . . .

I had applied for a leave of absence from my job as a nurse, but the big brother company that manages the small community hospital where I work said “no” . . . and so, I am resigning my position and heading to Redeemer House Orphanage in Uganda for 3 months. I really need to be there at this time, where I will be dealing with government paperwork and all the other issues of running an orphanage. And of course, loving on the kids every single day! How great is that?

Then when I get back the end of May, I will become a job-seeker.

Kinda scary – but it’s scarier still to think of not following what God is asking me to do. I love this time of my life, and what I get to do.

And I’m drinking a lot of my tea of choice, which is Chai Double Spice from Stash Tea with a generous splash of hazlenut creamer! Mmmmm . . . Think I will fix some now!

February 19th, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Erm . . reading blogs? 😉

February 20th, 2010 at 7:33 am

15. momof8 says:

This very moment I am sitting in front of the computer enjoying my friend Antique Mommy. Lately, I am celebrating the longer days and sunshine, looking forward to daylight savings time again! Also I am trying not to get distracted and focus on spending time with my kids. Good to hear from you!

February 20th, 2010 at 9:52 am

16. Great-Granny Grandma says:

Feeling frustrated because I can’t see your pictures. All I see is a blank white box with a small red x up in the corner of it. I never used to have this problem. Have you changed the format of what you are posting?

I‘m not sure why you can’t see the pictures. I can see them just fine on Firefox and IE both. I haven’t changed anything as far as my pictures, so it could be your server, you might need to refresh and clear your cache and that kind of thing. Just so you’ll know, as far as the pictures, you ‘re not missing out on anything remarkable. ;-0

February 20th, 2010 at 10:56 am

17. Elizabeth says:

I can’t see the picts, too. I’m proud of you for taking a breather from blogging if that’s what brings you joy. Some get so caught up the the have-to-itness that it becomes drudgery. Or get caught up in attention and fame. I hope many peaceful days for you are ahead!

February 20th, 2010 at 11:12 am

18. Dawn @ My Home Sweet Home says:

I’ve been working on some of those myself. Today was day 28 of my workout videos. Not that I’m counting. That’s some kind of record for me.

I’m going to do an online Lightroom class, too, using the HOTM and A Woman Inspired conferencing software.

February 20th, 2010 at 11:40 am

19. deb says:

fyi- I’m another one that can’t see your pics. Might help your troubleshooting efforts to know on your “Feb Robin” blog, I could see the top (photoshopped) one but not the second (original). I’ve never had trouble seeing your pics before.

Missing your writing, but serioulsy applauding you nonetheless. Good for you on #3! Once I went to Manual, I (almost) never went back. Just do it full-time & live the the results; my guess is you’ll learn very fast & love what you can do with it.

Me? I’m happily occupied with #8 (actually Lightroom!), 11 & 12….and using them successfully to avoid doing #7!

February 20th, 2010 at 11:58 am

20. grammy scraps says:

I’m doing much of the same…hubby got me a new lens for my camera and himself a camera so we are taking lots of photos…then comes the editing.
      Starting to plan for our annual trip to Montana.
      Enjoying the beautifu winter sunshine here in the PNW.
      Watching the Olympics and enjoying every minute.

February 20th, 2010 at 12:10 pm

21. Pam says:

Love your blog and your photography..just found you…what am I doing? I’m off sugar for Lent…enjoying our life in New England..thinking about dinner. Enjoyed your 50 things…

February 20th, 2010 at 3:18 pm

22. Janette says:

Also, loading and unloading the dishwasher.
      Washing and drying and putting away mounds and mounds of laundry.
      Watching a little of the Olympics and recommitting myself to getting in shape this Spring.
      A whole lot of your #12.

February 20th, 2010 at 3:26 pm

23. Megan (FriedOkra) says:

I can’t see the pictures either, although both pictures of the robins on the previous post show up beautifully. Did you upload the ones on this post to/from a different site, maybe?

You’ve been busy doing some really fun stuff, mostly! I’m reading So Long Security: You’ve Been a Bad Friend to Us by Beth Moore AND The Lesson by Trent and Smalley and being very challenged by both (but loving the challenge). I’m also doing a lot of your #5. I have so much I want to share about what I’m reading on my blog, but it all leaves me feeling VERY vulnerable. Trying to led God lead me to write or not write so that it’s authentic and beneficial to others without being over-share. The finest line. 🙂

And yes. Dishwasher! I try to remind myself it’s actually a LUXURY to have one to load/unload, but most of the time I can’t fully buy in.

February 20th, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Well that is weird on the missing pictures. I relocated them, so hopefully that fixed’er up. Because I would hate for you not to see my less than mediocre picture of a barely perceptible Cardinal. How could you go on? (wink wink).

February 20th, 2010 at 6:25 pm

25. Catch the Kids says:

Oh I want a DSL so badly…I love the possibilities. Lucky they’re digital so you can just play,then re-shoot if necessary. No wasted film like there used to be.

Oh I know! A digital camera is a good investment. Digital gives you the freedom to be a bad photographer so that you can become a good photographer. With film, I was always aware that each click of the shutter was going to cost me about 20 cents. And no guarantee that it would net a decent picture until it was too late. I love digital photography and I love messing with my pics in Photoshop. Fun, fun, fun.

February 20th, 2010 at 9:42 pm

26. heidig says:

I’m doing a lot of #12 myself! And I’m trying to spend as much time with my college bound daughter before she leaves the nest in August. And it’ll be August in the blink of an eye!

February 21st, 2010 at 8:15 am

27. Joni says:

Thanking God for my hubby and watching/helping in his recovery from Heart Sugery. Guiding my Eastern Star Chapter through the year. Praying that maybe soon the good Lord will send a grandchild to go with the granddaughter who is a real dog (Brittany Spaniel!).
      Thanking God the diagnosis of my going blind was false! After 8 months of worry, they finally got the results they needed to prove it false.
      Short version. Trying to be thankful and prayerful to the Lord.

February 21st, 2010 at 12:59 pm

28. Emma says:

Moving house and growing a baby (turns out the latter is more tiring than the former!)

February 22nd, 2010 at 2:51 am

29. deb says:

I can see all your pics again now and have to say it was well worth it to stop back by to see your ‘barely perceptible Cardinal’! LOL!

Ok, seriously, I love it that you post your original stuff. Not a lot of photographers are willing to do that & doing so has its own way of being inspirational.

February 22nd, 2010 at 1:43 pm

30. Trudi says:

You’re photos are peaceful to look at! Since you enjoy photographing birds and walking nature trails with Sean, you may enjoy stopping to build a fairy house out of natural materials. It’s a fun way to share the magic of nature with kids- to allow their imaginations to soar and their creativity to flow. For Tips on building and inspirational books check out http://www.fairyhouses.com. Have a magical day ouside!

February 23rd, 2010 at 10:13 am

31. rrmama says:

You asked for it! Baseball, laundry, baseball, putting the dishes away, baseball, bathing children, baseball, snuggling the boys, baseball. Did I mention baseball. Both boys are playing and we practice just about every night of the week. And then the weekends are consumed with games and tournaments. But the truth of the matter is I LOVE IT! I love watching them and cheering for them. And it goes way to fast!

February 23rd, 2010 at 8:13 pm

32. Faerylandmom says:

Sigh…

I am trying to instill some self-discipline. And I’m clueless how to do it.

March 5th, 2010 at 10:39 pm