• The Year of the Blonde

March 24, 2010

Last year was the year of The Brunette. This year, it is apparently the year of The Blonde. What can I say brunettes, the times they are a’changin’.

Last year, Sean was in love with his teacher Ms. Vicky, who is a drop-dead gorgeous Latina.  I must say, Sean’s taste in women is exquisite, much like that of his own father who didn’t find anyone exquisite enough to marry until he was 41.

Ms. Vicky’s daughter was also in Sean’s pre-K class and every day Sean would come home from school talking about the two lovely brunettes.  He would sometimes compose a letter to mail to one or the other; other times he would draw a picture for one of them and stuff it into his backpack to take to school.  The television commercials would have you believe that women want flowers or diamonds. No. They want pictures drawn in crayon which have been folded seven times and maybe have milk stains.

Be that as it may, kindergarten has brought in a whole new crop of babes and this year Sean has had his eye on two girls who by description, are about the same – Christie Brinkley in miniature — bright, beachy, athletic, long blonde hair.

The other day, as we drove home from school, he chattered about the two girls and how he was trying to decide which one he should like to marry.  I asked him what he liked about Kate and he cited her slim shape, her long “silvery” hair and that she was smart.  I told him that I thought it was good to know what you wanted in a mate and that those were some good qualities.

I also said that I thought I would grow my hair out long, just like Kate.  He said, no, he didn’t think that that was a good look for me, that I was “too thick” for that kind of hair.  Okay. Very well then.

When I asked him what he liked about Maddie, he named the same things – she has a slim shape, long silvery hair, that she is smart, and she is the fastest girl in the whole school.

A fast girl in kindergarten is fine, a fast girl in high school, not so much.

“And she includes everybody,” he added.

I had to sigh. Oh that every kid was taught to include everybody.  Wouldn’t our schools (and world) be a better place?

I was delighted that Sean recognized that including others is a wonderful quality in a person — something to appreciate and admire and something to which he should aspire.

1. Donna W says:

Knowing this is a valuable trait, he’ll likely cultivate it in himself.
      Great entry as always.

March 24th, 2010 at 8:09 am

2. Jill says:

Yeah for the blondes! Even the ones that have to go to the hairdresser every 6 weeks.

March 24th, 2010 at 8:33 am

3. Beck says:

That’s tragic for ME, since the lightest I should ever go is “dark brunette.”
      Sean is a sweet kid. You’re raising that boy right.

March 24th, 2010 at 8:38 am

4. Karen says:

I love that kid. Thanks for sharing this little piece of your day with us. 🙂 You have a knack for making me smile.

March 24th, 2010 at 8:40 am

5. Cyndi says:

Thank you and Sean. We’re dealing with a bit of exclusion at our house – can mine be in his class next year? Also, I was just going to ask some friends if the marriage and girl-crazy talk is abundant everywhere or just in my kids’ Kindergarten – yikes! So far, the choices are good and solid, but still it seems SO early….

Oh I’m sure he’ll hate girls in a season or two, not concerned at all.

March 24th, 2010 at 8:54 am

6. Cathie says:

Alas, I believe I am too “thick” for long silvery hair, too.

March 24th, 2010 at 8:59 am

7. Kate says:

Clearly you can shop early for the monogrammed towels….Maddie it is! :o)

March 24th, 2010 at 9:05 am

8. marviv says:

Hey…..I want to know when us grey-haired people get our year! There are so many of us.
      Marviv

March 24th, 2010 at 9:06 am

9. Jenny-Jenny says:

Grey is silvery! But what matters most is including others. I’m so impressed that Sean noticed and appreciated that.

For some reason, he equates blonde with silver. Pehaps that is because his mother’s blonde hair is more and more sliver these days. For awhile, he called any metallic color “golden”.

March 24th, 2010 at 9:20 am

10. momof8 says:

I love kindergarten romance . . .

March 24th, 2010 at 9:20 am

11. Lori says:

This brought me back to my nineteen year-old son’s kindergarten days – and his was a beautiful little dark-eyed brunette with an infectious smile who also knew how to include everyone – and her name was Maddie. Thanks for sparking the memory – it made me smile.

March 24th, 2010 at 9:24 am

12. Bitsy says:

Watch out! ‘Cause next year might be the year of the redhead!

March 24th, 2010 at 9:54 am

13. Quirky says:

If I were in kindergarten, I’d definitely have my mind set to marry Sean. What a sweet little boy you have!

(Although when he told you that you might be too thick for long hair I almost shot my drink out my nose).

March 24th, 2010 at 10:33 am

14. Jerry says:

I remember being quite enamored with a slim, pretty, silvery-haired girl in kindergarten. I didn’t marry her (I married a brunette) but I will always love that little girl. Have a great day AM.

March 24th, 2010 at 11:04 am

15. Maria says:

Last night my Kindergartener told me I was “stout”. Sigh.

March 24th, 2010 at 11:28 am

16. mythoughtsonthat says:

Including everyone- the best trait of all! I loved this!

Peace.

March 24th, 2010 at 1:19 pm

17. Shelly W. says:

Oh that is so sweet. Yes, there should really be a lot more including going on.

And I loved your line about fast girls in kindergarten vs. fast girls in high school! Too funny!

March 24th, 2010 at 1:49 pm

18. heidig says:

Ahhhhh, he has learned well from his parents!

March 24th, 2010 at 4:39 pm

19. Ginger says:

What an amazing little boy to be so expressive with you about this stuff. Man, I hope you both remain that way through the years. So precious.

March 24th, 2010 at 5:42 pm

20. Heidi says:

Kindergarten “dating” is my favorite kind of dating.

When my son was in kindergarten he said all the girls liked him because he made them laugh. When I said how great that was he said “Well, plus I’m attractive.”

No longer will I say I’m overweight. I’m just “thick.”

March 24th, 2010 at 6:44 pm

21. rrmama says:

Boys and their babes! My 5yr old has his eye one too. The funny thing about that is her grandma and my mother in law are best friends! According to my son she is totally cool because she has a John Deere tractor just like his!

March 24th, 2010 at 8:29 pm

22. zoom says:

Including everyone, and not thinking they are stupid because they have different ideas. What a concept. It goes back to “Everything I needed to know I learned in Kindergarten.”

March 25th, 2010 at 9:11 am

23. Angela Nazworth says:

Oh this made me smile. Too cute!

March 25th, 2010 at 9:13 am

24. LauraLee Shaw says:

Oh yes, he’s learning. *wink* Love this adorable story.

March 25th, 2010 at 12:04 pm

25. Megan (FriedOkra) says:

He is such a little sweetie. I hope Maddie bucks the system and stays the way she is. We need many, many more adults in our world who embrace that sort of attitude.

March 25th, 2010 at 12:07 pm

26. Amy says:

I love that he noticed she includes everybody. Obviously, he has the same heart about those things. That was a great post.
      Amy

March 25th, 2010 at 3:03 pm

27. Tonggu Momma says:

Oh, I just love this post, especially since my Tongginator has a little “boyfriend” in kindergarten this year. In three years, this would bother me to no end, but right now it’s just sweet. Well, it *was* sweet until she came home one day to inform me that she “accidentally” kissed him. When I asked her “exactly how do you accidentally kiss someone?” she replied, “well… I know we are supposed to save our kisses for our families, but I looked at him and just really, really, REALLY wanted to do it… so I did.” Oh. Well okay then. *sigh*

March 25th, 2010 at 7:32 pm

28. Marian says:

Sweet. Don’t you love that he talks to you about these things so freely?
      My 5 year old daughter has a thing for a red-head at church, 2 years her senior. I can’t figure it out, since he’s not someone with whom she even has much contact. I asked her what it is about him that she likes. She said, “I like the way he looks.” I asked whether “looks” meant she thought he was cute or handsome. She was adamant that no, she likes the way he LOOKS– and he LOOKS like a nice person! Way to go, daughter! Character over a pretty face. =)

March 25th, 2010 at 9:06 pm

29. Ivan says:

What a very special young man you have. No doubt, the product of excellent parenting. I enjoyed reading this blog entry!

March 26th, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I love how they still see the important things at this age . . and how cute it is when my daughter comes home with drawings from the boys, or plays with the boys next door (which will have to be forbidden in a few years, LOL).

March 27th, 2010 at 6:02 am

31. Debbie Owensby Moore says:

Your doing something right!

March 28th, 2010 at 11:40 am

32. Lori says:

Thanks for sharing that wonderful story! It’s good that Sean knows what he likes in a lady early on. lol

March 29th, 2010 at 8:11 pm

33. Sarah S. says:

We moved to this town the month before my son turned 4 years old (now 12 *sniff*). He left behind his best friend in the whole world — a precious young girl with long brown hair and big brown eyes. Every time we visited a church and he went to a little Sunday school class, we would come back to find him sidled up next to a little girl with long brown hair and big brown eyes. But, indeed, to include everybody looks best of all.

April 5th, 2010 at 8:19 pm