• Big Fish Little Pond

May 10, 2010

Photobucket

On Saturday, my friend Gigi hosted a Mother’s Day luncheon for her church.  She invited several of us to speak on different aspects of motherhood. I spoke on infertility and late-in-life motherhood. Others spoke on looking forward to motherhood, adoptive motherhood, step-motherhood, grand-motherhood, military motherhood and another gal spoke on what it’s like being a mother to a special needs child.

One lady lost her son in a tragically freak car accident when he was 32 and spoke about what a joy he was to her for the time she had him.  Each story was inspiring and sharpened my perspective and deepened my appreciation for how similar and yet how different everyone’s experience at this mothering gig can be.

The picture has nothing really to do with Mother’s Day other than to record that Sean spent the entire weekend running around Gigi’s farm playing with her grandchildren, covered in dirt and totally unaware that he had a mother.

As we drove home, Sean handed me a Wal-Mart bag from the back seat and wished me a happy Mother’s Day.  Inside was a card and a candle.  I suspect at some point I will own the largest collection of Wal-Mart candles in the state of Texas. I just pray that my collection will grow beyond 32.

1. meghan @ spicy magnolia says:

You have a special little boy there who caught a great big fish! 🙂 I’ll join you in prayer for the both of us to receive more than 32 candles. I’m glad you had a nice Mother’s Day.

May 10th, 2010 at 7:29 pm

2. cyndi says:

Aw, WalMart candles were my Gramma’s favorite! May we all have an abundance of candles – the luncheon sounds wonderful. Thanx for sharing the journey with us!

May 10th, 2010 at 7:52 pm

3. Stacey says:

sweet post and great message, value the littlest things~ !

May 10th, 2010 at 7:58 pm

4. jean says:

Wonderful post. So many people touch our lives and their stories both happy and sad help to keep us grounded. Here’s to many more cards and candies.

May 10th, 2010 at 9:07 pm

5. Jenny-Jenny says:

You’re right. Every experience is different and I can’t help but think they were all tailor made with what will make each individual woman the strongest and happiest in her own way. Happy late Mothers Day!

May 11th, 2010 at 7:06 am

6. rrmama says:

I pray it does it too!

May 11th, 2010 at 9:47 am

7. Kathy says:

My husband usually hands me my gift in a sack – and come to think of it, so did my son until his wife took control.

May 11th, 2010 at 10:03 am

8. Iota says:

I think it’s one of the biggest challenges of parenthood. How do we enjoy our children, without fear of what the future might hold? How do you entertain a fleeting thought of the 32 candle collection, but not let it spoil the enjoyment of receiving the candle of the day?

May 11th, 2010 at 10:33 am

9. Ginger says:

I totally love this. What a wonderful way he has blessed your life and those around you. Moreover, he has given you such sweet testimony through the voice of this blog and any speaking engagement where others are allowed to share in your victory.

Here’s to many blessed years to come. Blessed beyond measure in the unconditional role as mom (with lots and lots and lots of candles).
      Ginger

May 11th, 2010 at 12:26 pm

10. Keary says:

Dear Antique Mommy,

Your picture reminded me of something. My daughter got her yearbook yesterday, she is a Junior in High School. There was a picture of one of the Seniors wearing overalls with out a shirt holding a fishing pole with a dorky hat on. I said to her what this? She said hold on and thumbed through the back of the yearbook and found a picture. The baby pictures in the back of the book had a picture of the same boy in the same pose only he was about 18 mos old. It was just to cute.

May 11th, 2010 at 3:00 pm

11. Megan (FriedOkra) says:

Yes, 32. Way more than that, I hope, for both of your sakes.

Do you find yourself, as I do, constantly doing the “when he(she) is X years old, I will be Y years old” thing? I call it “the morbid math.” I wish I didn’t do it – I wish I would just trust God and not WORRY about how old I’m going to be when they are teenagers, when they graduate from college, when they get married and start families, but I still do.

My mother has had some serious health problems this year and stark the reality that hits me (along with my own mother’s mortality, which, UGH!), is that I’m 42 YEARS OLD and struggling mightily to deal with seeing her weakened and ill. I worry that my own kids will only be in their late 20s or early 30s when I’m my mother’s current age. What if I get sick then?

Honestly right now I worry less that something might happen to shorten THEIR lives than I do about MY life not being long enough to get them grown and mature/independent and capable of handling losing Al and/or me. Does that plague you, ever?

Sorry, what a downer I am! I just wondered if you could relate.

That is a precious picture and I swear that boy looks more like you every time I see him!

Yes, yes and yes. All the time. I try to be a joy seeker but the fact of the matter is that I’m 50 and Sean is 6 and that is inescapable. Thirty-two Mother’s Days from now I’ll be 82 and he will only be 38, if all goes well. I try to temper the morbidity with the gratitude that I have for every day of life. I live with the full knowledge that I am not entitled to nor do I deserve to see even the end of this day. I’ll take what I can get…. but I want more. 😉

May 11th, 2010 at 7:13 pm

12. Nan says:

Awesome fish, Sean!

May 12th, 2010 at 4:51 am

13. Sandra says:

Wishing many, many more candles for mothers and grandmothers everywhere!

May 12th, 2010 at 8:14 am

14. gretchen from lifenut says:

Wow. That final line caught me in the gut.

My paternal grandmother outlived two of her sons. Both died as adults with families of their own.

Here’s to scores and scores of Wal Mart candles.

May 12th, 2010 at 10:58 am

15. LauraLee Shaw says:

I would’ve loved to hear you speak! I’ll bet that was fun and you were wonderful. 🙂

May 14th, 2010 at 2:51 pm

16. france59 says:

Well, that brought tears to my eyes…your collection of candles. And the sadness of knowing how much that other mother would have loved a sack containing a Wal-Mart candle and a card, too. Wishing you decades of Wal-Mart candles, a lifetime of joy with Sean and the knowledge that your words touch people in many ways. Happy Belated Mother’s Day.

May 15th, 2010 at 9:28 am

17. Edie Mindell says:

I love your post here and I especially love the picture of your son catching a big fish. He is so cute when he grins and you must be very proud of him. Happy Mother’s day.

May 15th, 2010 at 8:14 pm

18. Alpaca Farmgirl says:

He looks JUST like you! How precious.

May 26th, 2010 at 2:15 pm