• Yosemite

June 2, 2010

Photobucket

Yosemite is one of my favorite places on the entire Earth.  It’s a place where my love for God and geology intersect.  In these exact coordinates in the universe, God and Earth are exposed and revealed in such a way that they are both breathtakingly clear and yet all the more mysterious.  In his book, A Brief History of Time, Stephen Hawking says that when we understand eternity, then we will see the face of God.  In Yosemite, I come as close to that as anywhere I’ve ever been.

A month or so before AD and I married, we hiked Half Dome, which is that huge “half dome” shaped granite rock you see in the distant background.  When we set off on the hike, I didn’t really know if I could make it because it’s a mostly vertical, 20-mile round trip, give or take.  But I decided that day that I would go as far as I could go and when I could go no more, I would go back.  So I would go as far as I could go and then I would rest.  And then I would get up and go some more. And eventually we made it.  I recall that it took about 12 hours, maybe more. Such is life, one step at a time.

As we walked along that day back in 1998, not fully aware of what was ahead for us, not knowing if we would make it to the top or have to turn back, we imagined that some day we would have a little boy or girl and that we would take them to Yosemite.  There has been a lot of stopping and resting along the way in those past 12 years, but on this trip, that dream came true.

1. Sheila says:

Beautiful photo, sweet story! I love you, Antique Mommy! And your little guy, too!

June 2nd, 2010 at 9:28 am

2. k&c's mom says:

“The vision is for the appointed time,
      Wait for it: it will surely come to pass.”
      Congratulations on your milestone, and for celebrating it!

June 2nd, 2010 at 9:50 am

3. edj says:

Love this pic!! I love Yosemite too, or as my British cousin pronounced it, Yose Mite. Great story, AM.

June 2nd, 2010 at 10:09 am

4. Bill McNutt says:

Congratulations on dreams coming true. So many things we plan for our children don’t come true, because either they are not the people we thought they would be, or we are not the people we thought we were.

June 2nd, 2010 at 11:59 am

5. RefreshMom says:

Beautiful! We lived here for more than 2 years before I realized that Yosemite is a trip we can make in a day if we want. I’m kind of ashamed that we haven’t taken our boys yet. I hope that one weekend this summer will be the first of many. Thanks for sharing your journey with us–both the immediate and the ongoing!

Mary Hampton

June 2nd, 2010 at 12:12 pm

6. meghan @ spicy magnolia says:

What a special time! We are headed to Yellowstone for the first time this summer to celebrate my daddy’s 60th birthday and we can’t wait to admire God’s amazing creation together as a family.

June 2nd, 2010 at 12:33 pm

7. Pam says:

Great picture! Thanks for sharing your dream with us.

June 2nd, 2010 at 1:19 pm

8. Sarah S. says:

I’ve never been and long to go… Definitely way at the top of my bucket list. Yes, indeed, one foot in front of the other is where I am right now.

June 2nd, 2010 at 1:28 pm

9. Annie says:

Yosemite is one of our favorite places in the world too. We had planned to hike the half dome and prepared for one month with going to the gym every day and buying all hiking gear and stuff. In the end, my husband got sick when we got there and we ended up not being able to do the hike. We planned to do it next summer, but I had a miscarriage and then the next summer I was 7 months pregnant. Now we have a beautiful boy and we want to do the hike with him. Maybe we will wait 10 years or until he is old enough to go. It is definitely something we want to do.

June 2nd, 2010 at 3:04 pm

10. Jenny says:

Awesome! I love that!

June 2nd, 2010 at 3:07 pm

11. Kelly @ Love Well says:

I’m reminded of the second half of Proverbs 13:12. “A longing fulfilled is a tree of life.”

Beautiful picture. Beautiful family. 🙂

June 2nd, 2010 at 4:01 pm

12. nancy says:

AM, you always have the best pictures and tell the best stories… You are (or were) in California, lucky girl!!! I hope everyone enjoys the trip to the fullest, sounds like you are!

June 2nd, 2010 at 6:24 pm

13. Catch the Kids says:

Sounds like you’ve got to a high point. And the view is great. Enjoy and tuck away in your heart.

I’m reminded here to take note of and enjoy my own high points. Really enjoyed this uplifting post!

June 2nd, 2010 at 7:22 pm

14. Megan (FriedOkra) says:

Awwwwww. That made me cry! So beautiful, and what a gorgeous picture of you and Sean. Enjoy!

June 3rd, 2010 at 3:11 am

So sweet and beautiful!

The fates brought me there once, when on my one visit to CA (San Jose) in October ’89, there was a big earthquake and the roads were closed, except east towards Yosemite. I can still recall the feeling of awe gazing upon the fuzzy, rounded rocks from up high, and realizing those are MOUNTAINS. And that fuzz is GIANT TREES!

June 3rd, 2010 at 4:51 am

16. Elizabeth says:

Beautiful! We recently moved to MT and were having our first family hike over the weekend and marveled at the beautiful world we have been given. Breathtaking and sublime. Glad you had a wonderful trip!

June 3rd, 2010 at 8:24 am

17. Jackie says:

Congratulations on reaching another dream with that precious boy and your precious husband. I love the picture of you two.

Praying you reach all or most of your dreams. 🙂

Have a great week!
      Jackie

June 3rd, 2010 at 8:24 am

18. momof8 says:

Living the dream . . . isn’t it awesome? You two look great–love your smiles!

June 3rd, 2010 at 8:51 am

19. Emily says:

June 3rd, 2010 at 10:14 am

20. Quirky says:

You have convinced me…Yosemite is now on my travel list (although not sure I could do the half dome like you did. Oxygen changes with elevation make me want to do dangerous things, like leap from rock to rock like a billy goat. All fun and games until someone falls off a mountain). Still, so pretty!

PS- LOOOOOOOVE the matching bandannas!

June 3rd, 2010 at 10:29 am

21. tom says:

Hoping to go back there with the whole family some time; my last trip was in 2002, before I met my wife, and it was hot as blue blazes – but beautiful, everywhere we looked. My girls especially loved the waterfalls and the streams.

June 3rd, 2010 at 10:53 am

22. Jim says:

A very long time ago, two hikers went hiking on this treacherous mound of soil and rock; at the time it had not been named.
      They were not sure if they could endure the obstacles facing them, and they were told by several “old-timers”—“Well,yose’mite make it, and yose’mite not”!
      After they returned proudly exausted it received the name..Yosemite. 🙂

June 3rd, 2010 at 11:08 am

23. Jennifer says:

Great photo! You make me want to go to Yosemite. More pictures please!!

June 3rd, 2010 at 1:40 pm

24. rrmama says:

Beautiful story and beautiful picture! Sorry I haven’t been commenting much. Life has just seemed to take over. I miss my bloggy friends. Have a great weekend!!

June 4th, 2010 at 9:14 am

25. Deanna says:

Beautiful picture! I miss Yosemite! We went there often when we were still in California. Bill’s parents lived in Mariposa for years, right outside Yosemite. Dad even worked in the park for a while. Actually, our first date was in Yosemite!

June 5th, 2010 at 5:11 am

26. Leslie Maddox says:

Ohhh, I love it when dreams come true. I feel that same way every time I look at my little one.

June 5th, 2010 at 11:26 am

27. PastormacsAnn says:

So lovely, AM! What a wonderful memory. What a wonderful blessing. Awwww, deep sigh!

June 7th, 2010 at 12:09 am

28. Kathy Gillen at Wellness Roadtrip says:

That is a lovely description of Yosemite. My husband and I started in the northern section of Yosemite for a two day hike down to the valley. I was about six weeks pregnant and it was 1993. While my husband ascended Half Dome, I sat and marveled at the surroundings. That night we had a bear in our camp! Such great memories. I’d love to take my now 16 year old back. Thanks for sharing…it brought back memories for me.

June 7th, 2010 at 8:40 pm

29. Dee @ Red Dirt Ramblings says:

God is the co-pilot of our dreams, and He makes them come true, but sometimes not in the way we expected. Thank you for this today.~~Dee

June 8th, 2010 at 2:07 pm

30. Lori McCauley says:

What a perfect picture of you and your son. As a mom who’s raised two boys, I know you’ll look back on that fondly ten years from now.

June 8th, 2010 at 2:39 pm

31. jboone says:

I think I’ll have goosebumps the rest of the day. Beautiful picture. Beautiful story. So happy your dream came true!

June 14th, 2010 at 10:34 am

32. Jim says:

I made my first trip to Yosemite on June 1, 2010 with my kids, and I am already looking forward to going back. My goal was to climb half dome but due to recent snows , the cables were not up. It is the the most beautifuland inspiring place on earth. On June 2, we hiked to the top of Yosemite Falls. Along the way I met this beautiful red headed woman. We both reached the top about the same time and the view was breathtaking. I felt some type of undescribable bond with this woman. Unfortunately, I didn’t get her name and I lost her somewhere on top of the mountain. At one point I looked around and she was gone and I was left with this disconnected feeling. I don’t know if fate will ever bring us together again but i like to think I’ll see the falls and the “major wow” girl again

June 15th, 2010 at 5:54 pm