• One Thousand Memories

August 26, 2010

I started writing this blog in July of 2005. In that time, I’ve published over 1,000 stories about my life as an older mother of a little boy.  And I’ve got another 1,000 stories that I have sketched out in notes but have never gotten around to writing and yet another 1,000 stories that were never written because I thought, in that moment, that I would jot down a note about it as soon as I could find a pen and I would write about it later.  But in the distraction of life I never found the pen, never wrote the note and I simply forgot about it.

Or worse, it’s not entirely forgotten, just mostly forgotten.

Often at the end of the day as I burrow into my pillow waiting for sleep to take me away, I want to turn to my husband and tell him about some remarkable thing that Sean said or did that day.  A small, sticky, persistent gnat of a memory buzzes around the dark perimeter of my brain, taunting and annoying me.  It won’t be shooed away and it won’t light long enough to show itself.  All I know is that something happened that day that I want to share, but I just can’t quite reconstitute the memory.

So I turn to AD and I tell him, “Sean said the funniest thing today.”

And he says, “Really? What? Tell me.”

And I say, “I have no idea. But it was really funny.”

1. The Bug says:

Oh I am so there! Just this minute I was trying to remember something funny I wanted to tell my husband, & it was just gone. But it was funny!

This is ironic – I was just scrolling through my google reader looking at the blogs of people who hadn’t posted in a while & I opened yours & sighed. Good to see you!

August 26th, 2010 at 5:44 pm

2. Karen Lewis says:

*snort* This is a daily occurrence in our home. I wish I could carry a notepad around to record the things that happen, funny things said. By the time 5:45 rolls around, my brain is usually mush and I can’t remember a lick of it. 🙂

August 26th, 2010 at 5:57 pm

3. mrhc says:

This is when I text myself or call the home phone to leave myself a message…because I know I won’t remember it by the time I turn around.

You are not alone.

August 26th, 2010 at 6:34 pm

4. Fiddledeedee says:

Amen sister. They say that the first thing to go is the…what was I going to say? 🙂

August 26th, 2010 at 7:03 pm

5. Cyndi - The Adventures of HarryJack says:

That’s exactly why I started a blog…all those memories that are sharp in the moment and fade. I’m just glad you started one – it’s been a true joy to read your words and see your pix and get to know a little slice of Texas – thank you!

August 26th, 2010 at 8:19 pm

6. Julie says:

We should invent brain-gnat spray and get rich. Heh. Two formulas — one for forgetting and one for remembering.

August 26th, 2010 at 8:27 pm

7. Amy says:

That is exactly what I’ve been feeling lately, too. You summed it up just perfectly. So glad you are back.

August 26th, 2010 at 9:46 pm

At least you’ve gotten a few down on the blog and in notes. Waaaay ahead of me!

😀

August 27th, 2010 at 3:46 am

9. Beck says:

I know exactly what you mean. EXACTLY.
      And now that I write far less about my kids, and far less often, it’s like whole months of time have barely happened in my memories. DE-pressing.

August 27th, 2010 at 6:55 am

10. Tom says:

Another “me too” chiming in. More recently I’ve been thinking I should follow Michael around with a tape recorder, as he’s been spitting out more verbal incongruities than ever, and even seconds after he’s done I’ve forgotten most of what he’s said.

BTW – glad you’re back!

* * * *
      Oh you should – that would be a treasure to have his voice recorded. For some reason I had a voice recording of Sean from when he was about 3 that I didn’t realize had ended up on my iPod. I had apparently recorded it one of those times when we were in the car where I turned it on without him knowing and just recorded his jabbering. His voice was so sweet and he was so funny. When it came on the iPod, I wasn’t expecting it and it startled me – because I realized that I had forgotten what he sounded like at three.

August 27th, 2010 at 8:01 am

11. Allison Burleson says:

I have missed you! I am so glad you are back!

August 27th, 2010 at 8:32 am

12. Heidi says:

And it doesn’t end when they are little – that wanting to share details.

Last night I turned to my husband in bed and said “make a note. We need to discuss KaylaBeth’s schedule for the next month….” She has plans to go to 3 church lock ins, homecoming dances, etc. and the best I can tell her at 3 in the afternoon is “Daddy and I need to discuss it….” We have raised a social butterfly. When I win the lottery I’m going to hire her an assistant so I can catch my breath.

August 27th, 2010 at 8:39 am

13. Yvonne says:

PLEASE write those other 1,000 stories! I have loved every one of your entries and they always make me laugh or cry or thank the lord that I am not the only one has had endured the same adventures in parenting! I love your style and miss you terribly!

August 27th, 2010 at 8:40 am

14. Cathie says:

Does Sean worry about you being older? Gabe is semi-obsessed with our impending demise. Just last night he was actually crying over the thought of losing his Mommy & Daddy. I do everything in my power to ease his worries; neither of us is even ill. I tell him that we have every intention of hanging around to see who his beautiful wife will be, and meeting his red-headed children. I was just wondering if this is common among children of older parents.

August 27th, 2010 at 9:28 am

15. Shelly @ Life on the Wild Side says:

Oh, I can so relate to that.

I’ve missed you so much! I was worried that you were quitting. So glad to see you back here!

August 27th, 2010 at 10:35 am

16. marviv says:

Oh please….I do hope you take the time to write down those 1,000 stories! Each new blog you write brings a smile – do it for Sean, for yourself, your readers and also for your Mom!

Marviv

August 27th, 2010 at 11:08 am

17. Tiff says:

Ha! I’m only 29, and I already have that problem. Crap, I’m in for some trouble later…

August 27th, 2010 at 2:08 pm

18. Nan says:

I’m glad you’re still writing… We have had such an action-packed summer that I haven’t written much either!

Good luck at school Sean! You’re going to ROCK!

August 27th, 2010 at 2:52 pm

19. Pat Trippiedi says:

missed you, so glad you are back 🙂

August 27th, 2010 at 7:24 pm

20. edj says:

When my kids were younger, I did that all that time. And now I’ve forgotten. And it’s such a bummer, because I really did have the funniest kids! I can relate.

August 27th, 2010 at 10:23 pm

21. heidig says:

Welcome! So glad to have you back.

August 28th, 2010 at 12:21 pm

22. Iota says:

I quite often turn to my husband and say “what was that cute thing that x said today?” and he looks at me, and replies “I’ve not been here today, so I don’t know”.

If I can’t even remember who’s been in the house, it’s not surprising I can’t remember all the cute things. (But the ones I do remember, I write down.)

September 15th, 2010 at 8:14 am

23. Leslie Maddox says:

Sometimes I watch my little one playing and doing his thing and try to memorize every little face and cute act. But I know that I’ll forget 90% of it all and it makes me so sad.

September 21st, 2010 at 9:46 am