• Danaus Plexippus

October 4, 2010

Photobucket

Monarch sounds much prettier, don’t you think?

1. jean says:

Either way it is a beautiful butterfly. What are the flowers called? I know I’ve seen them before.

October 4th, 2010 at 1:24 pm

2. Julie says:

I think they’re called lantana (or something like that). Butterflies love them.

I had scads of them all over my butterfly bush until a couple of weeks ago when it started to get cold (60s). Ha.

October 4th, 2010 at 1:56 pm

3. Carly says:

Beautiful!

I chased some non-manarch (scientific name) butterflies this summer until they finally got tired of flying away and hung out in the sand while I subjected them to repeated photos.

They were lovely and yellow, but would only lay in the sand, instead of flitting around prettily among the nearby flowers.

Butterflies, I’ve determined, are a tad fickle.

October 4th, 2010 at 2:10 pm

4. Jenny says:

Love it! Monarch does sound prettier. And yes, that is Lantana. We have them EVERYWHERE here in Arizona.

October 4th, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Lantana is a wonderful plant for southwest gardens because it is drought resistant, flowers profusely all summer, grows like crazy and best of all, it’s perennial. You cut them down to the base in the late fall after they die back and they start all over in early spring. They come in yellow (which seems to me to be the hardiest), a yellow-orange and I think a lavender. And the butterflies love them.

I’m a terrible gardener and even I can grow Lantana. And that is my treatise on Lantana

October 4th, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Yes–and your lantana is lovely.

October 4th, 2010 at 6:39 pm

7. Sue says:

Beautiful, beautiful pic!!!! God blessed us with so much beauty, and you have captured some of it!

October 4th, 2010 at 11:19 pm

8. Skip says:

Beautiful. Shows what a true artist can do with a camera.

Keep up the good work.

Give the Moose (Sean) a hug for us.

October 5th, 2010 at 4:53 am

9. adrianna says:

Gorgeous! – Both the Lantana and the Monarch.

October 5th, 2010 at 5:22 am

10. momof8 says:

What a beautiful photo! We raised them from eggs once for one of the kid’s science projects and then set them free. One thing they don’t tell you? Caterpillars poop ALL THE TIME. Could not believe the amount of poop that came out of those little things. I guess that is the big lesson we learned!

October 5th, 2010 at 8:50 am

11. Jackie Hall says:

Increadable shot! I just call all of it beautiful. The flower, butterfly, the photographer and phtotograph.

Have a blessed week!
      Jackie

October 5th, 2010 at 10:49 am

12. Quirky is a Compliment says:

You know what I love best about this picture? The butterfly isn’t hanging over my shoulder going, “Do I look fat in this picture? WHAT is going on with my bangs? I had no idea I had such dark circles under my eyes? Why didn’t you tell me that I was making that weird face?” We can learn a lot from butterflies.

October 5th, 2010 at 11:47 am

13. Jennifer says:

Gorgeous photo!

October 6th, 2010 at 7:26 am

14. Anne says:

The colors in the photo are so vibrant. We get the monarch eggs every spring and watch as they change into butterflies. Such a wondrous experience every year.

October 6th, 2010 at 12:40 pm

15. Sue says:

enlarge that and frame it– gorgeous! Maybe you can “float” it.

October 16th, 2010 at 12:09 am

16. Sue says:

Up here in IL I believe they are annuals–but pretty, nonetheless, and yes, they grow well here, too.

October 16th, 2010 at 12:10 am